The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #51
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: Collector Tools

[QUOTE=GOPAPA;8777226

This is about all I have left of old tools after I moved except little ones in my curio cabinet ..

Name:  20180809_083114.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  66.3 KB
Old 08-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #52
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Nothing to write home about. I do have a BA old vise, but it's made in Asia. I picked up these small gems a few weeks ago. With a ball mount it was $10-15. Better than old Craftsman.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #53
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Nothing to write home about. I do have a BA old vise, but it's made in Asia. I picked up these small gems a few weeks ago. With a ball mount it was $10-15. Better than old Craftsman.
That rachet might be worth up to $80 on ebay ..doubt you paid that much ,,good for you ..I have a hard time passing up tools at garage sales because ai do have a lot of tools and hardly nothing I dont need for what I do anymore..

One of my last jobs was a Fujitu computer wafer plant ,, and I had to go buy all new wrenches and rachets and sockets to work there as no tool could have a bit of rust or dirt to work in the clean rooms . .that was American and metric so I have now full sets of new each and also many of my old,, ,,,,,,,,,,but you wait you probably see me posting some darn tool thing from a sale I didnt need on here ,,,
Old 08-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #54
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Here's an old tree (?) saw, and a bow saw. The bow saw has the initials "RP" and the year "1927" carved into it.
Attached Images

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:11 PM   #55
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
That rachet might be worth up to $80 on ebay ..doubt you paid that much ,,good for you ..I have a hard time passing up tools at garage sales because ai do have a lot of tools and hardly nothing I dont need for what I do anymore..

One of my last jobs was a Fujitu computer wafer plant ,, and I had to go buy all new wrenches and rachets and sockets to work there as no tool could have a bit of rust or dirt to work in the clean rooms . .that was American and metric so I have now full sets of new each and also many of my old,, ,,,,,,,,,,but you wait you probably see me posting some darn tool thing from a sale I didnt need on here ,,,
I've never seen that make before, but I'm no expert. I hit an estate sale late, these tools my name on it, I only paid a few bucks for it. Like I say, the old Craftsman just takes up space now.

I'm a little familiar with clean-rooms. As a kid I was lucky to run a department for testing circuit boards following the soldering machine. Clean room was across the way, and it was relatively new before the company burned a bridge with IBM. From looking at billions to bankrupt. My dept handled all but IBM, IBM took up an entire factory. Xebec, the Zero Defect Company, until there was
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 08-28-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:48 PM   #56
Killer Bee

gotta a ton of old and some really old tools but not many pictures.. here's some wood shop tools at least 70 years old if a day.. eventually like to research models and serials for more info.. chisels that used to lay on grandpa's carving bench came from Germany with him in the 20's, no idea how old they were when they got here..

repost was easier

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...5&postcount=19

this is the small wood shop we put together in the old chicken coop.. the old machines were stored in other buildings so we set them up in there.. the lathe table has a central motor underneath with a driveshaft the length of the table, just pull a belt on the machine you want to run.. the table saw and joiner also share a motor..

I even dabbled a little bit with the lathe but it was about 100 outside and who knows inside there.. this is definitely a winter hobby around here

Old 08-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #57
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
gotta a ton of old and some really old tools but not many pictures.. here's some wood shop tools at least 70 years old if a day.. eventually like to research models and serials for more info.. chisels that used to lay on grandpa's carving bench came from Germany with him in the 20's, no idea how old they were when they got here..

repost was easier

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...5&postcount=19

this is the small wood shop we put together in the old chicken coop.. the old machines were stored in other buildings so we set them up in there.. the lathe table has a central motor underneath with a driveshaft the length of the table, just pull a belt on the machine you want to run.. the table saw and joiner also share a motor..

I even dabbled a little bit with the lathe but it was about 100 outside and who knows inside there.. this is definitely a winter hobby around here

That is really neat.KB What a collection of things your grandfather left you .. . I remember as boy seeing a long arbor in a machine shop and it ran 4-5 different tools all at the same time ,,if the arbor was turning ,,then all the tools were turning ..thx for sharing
Old 08-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #58
Killer Bee

well I guess a mechanic should be able to put at least one mechanics tool up here

this is my 1967 3/8 dr Snap-on ratchet that sits behind my desk in pencil holder

that right angle number 7 under the selector lever is the date indicator, all Snap-on tools have one

Old 08-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #59
Killer Bee

Quote:
That is really neat.KB What a collection of things your grandfather left you .. . I remember as boy seeing a long arbor in a machine shop and it ran 4-5 different tools all at the same time ,,if the arbor was turning ,,then all the tools were turning ..thx for sharing
thank you! I wish I had 1/100th of his skill and talent with them..
Old 08-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #60
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

That's beautiful Killerbee. Some of that reminds me of my former in-laws stuff, only theirs is all manual tools off a farm early 1900s. Drills, cutters, things I don't have a clue about. Two old trunks full. Wish I had a picture.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #61
GOPAPA

I do have something that is a collector tool ,,anyways I think so

It is a Surveying Level and it was built by a famous name from Portland Oregon by the name of''''''' Leupold

I bought it from a contractors sale in Portland in the 80ies and have used it many times shooting grade for all the buildings I have built.

I have got nothing from the company as to the date it was made ,, They told me that they did not know the company built constuction levels.. they ask for photos ,,I sent them some and I had to call back to see what they came up with to share with me about the level.. They politely told me that no one there now remembers the company making this level or any other..

As many of you know the Leupold company makes rifle scopes and binoculars and other eye glass looking thru things .. maybe some of you have a Leupold scope on your rifle..

So ,,here it is and I have no reason to part with it ,,I some times use it when a hand level is good enough ,,just to use it..

Name:  DSC04272.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  65.0 KB
Old 09-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #62
Killer Bee

Leupold made transits? yes sir, that is very cool, had no idea

and btw, thank you for the 15 minute reading assignment
Old 09-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #63
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I've used many scopes for leveling and a aligning things, but never seen a Leupold for that. Brunson, K&E, Leica are names that I'm familiar with. But that was for aligning antenna test ranges and sensors on spacecraft. Though I did do some work with leveling large machinery.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #64
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

That is very cool, Larry! Possibly pretty rare too, with the company not aware of ever making them. Well worth hanging on to, for sure!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #65
GOPAPA

]

Quote:
Leupold made transits? yes sir, that is very cool, had no idea
and btw, thank you for the 15 minute reading assignment
thx KB ..I have a number of gun owners wanting to buy it ,,but I tell them I am still using it . as far as the 15 minutes of reading ..can I put it on charge ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I've used many scopes for leveling and a aligning things, but never seen a Leupold for that. Brunson, K&E, Leica are names that I'm familiar with. But that was for aligning antenna test ranges and sensors on spacecraft. Though I did do some work with leveling large machinery.
Same here ,I have seen and used Whites also .. This one is about 1/8th off in a 180 degree turn ,,which is good enough for the girls I go with (been wanting to use that phrase for awhile now.) .

And Mike ,,I have no caring to sell it or trade it , I agree with ya keep and see later what it is worth to me
Old 09-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #66
Killer Bee

Quote:
thx KB ..I have a number of gun owners wanting to buy it ,,but I tell them I am still using it . as far as the 15 minutes of reading ..can I put it on charge ?
after seeing your post, I had to go straight to google

well worth it, they have a very interesting history of making survey equipment long before riflescopes in 1947, I had no idea.. I have a couple of Strobel's gunsite and scope books, gonna have to dig through them see what other interesting little nuggets I can find on Leupold

as mentioned above, that's a keeper for sure.. does it have a model number and serial number on it? either the right folks at the factory or collectors might be able to determine what year it was made and possibly even who it was sold to originally.. wouldn't it be cool if your transit had worked on something grand like an old historic building, bridge, etc.? sorry, my imagination runs amuck when I see neat old tools like that

very cool, thank you for sharing!
Old 09-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #67
GOPAPA

Ok KB ,,proud to have ya looking into this Leupold Level insturment

Here is all I have about it ..the company that went out of business was named Schragg ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I bid on it at a auction in Portland and got it for $200

I was out bid for Transit Theodolite for shooting angles by degrees . it sold for $365?? and I went as high as $250 ,,I wanted the level for leveling ,, ,I used my calculator for that making 90 degrees corner and the like

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  47.3 KB
Old 09-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #68
MJN

My 1951 South Bend Model "A" tool room lathe
Attached Images

'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:51 PM   #69
Killer Bee

Quote:
Ok KB ,,proud to have ya looking into this Leupold Level insturment

Here is all I have about it ..the company that went out of business was named Schragg ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I bid on it at a auction in Portland and got it for $200

I was out bid for Transit Theodolite for shooting angles by degrees . it sold for $365?? and I went as high as $250 ,,I wanted the level for leveling ,, ,I used my calculator for that making 90 degrees corner and the like
I know very little about surveyors equipment but I'm on the case!

little more in my wheelhouse, I researched a prototype Beretta M9 all the way back to Italy with help of Beretta USA..
Old 09-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #70
72c20customcamper

Was working on the Hawk and came across these in the tool box in the barn. Pretty much forgot I had them . I even bought a new timing light
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #71
72c20customcamper

All American made and still in boxes
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #72
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
My 1951 South Bend Model "A" tool room lathe
That is like the best looking lathe one could have and depend on,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Was working on the Hawk and came across these in the tool box in the barn. Pretty much forgot I had them . I even bought a new timing light
Glad you dug them out ,,nice collection too.. great conversational tools for sure even if you dont use them much
Old 09-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #73
GOPAPA

This is a guy who I worked with at the same sawmill back in my earliest working days for a monthy check ,,
His name is George and this photo is from a Town we both lived at (and he still does) I ask him to bring some his tool collection he made ,,to the yearly get to gether and so here it is ..right out of Prince Albert in the can ..

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  26.4 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  75.2 KB
Old 09-02-2020, 10:01 PM   #74
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I remember you posting those quite awhile back, Larry. They are every bit as impressive as I remember! George is an amazingly talented craftsman -- thanks for sharing!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:15 AM   #75
cornerstone

Quote:
well I guess a mechanic should be able to put at least one mechanics tool up here

this is my 1967 3/8 dr Snap-on ratchet that sits behind my desk in pencil holder

that right angle number 7 under the selector lever is the date indicator, all Snap-on tools have one

I can understand why you keep that on your desk! A guy can get all kinds of perturbed when cool tools grow legs and walk off. I have some old Snap On as well and those have the "no loan out" status. I'm going to look for the date codes now that you learned me somethin'

Do you think its by chance the screw heads are aligned perfectly? It looks like that was designed into it.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote