The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #76
72c20customcamper

Re: Collector Tools

I also have a few older chainsaws . Only pictures I have on my phone but I have 3 ez's a 330 and and old stihl 060 and few others
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:09 AM   #77
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
I can understand why you keep that on your desk! A guy can get all kinds of perturbed when cool tools grow legs and walk off. I have some old Snap On as well and those have the "no loan out" status. I'm going to look for the date codes now that you learned me somethin'

Do you think its by chance the screw heads are aligned perfectly? It looks like that was designed into it.
so far it's been safe in my office, it was a gift from a friend, I've never put a single socket on it

never noticed the screws, probably by design back then

my socket drawer.. when I was in the shop, I'd loan until the next time the truck came, then they were on their own

sorry not antique but I guess still collectable - my favorite drawer of snap-on chrome, about $3500 worth several years ago

top end of both of those racks is 1-1/2"

Old 09-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #78
72supr

An anvil I bought from a good friend a while back. 105# so it’s not to heavy to move around and sure enough comes in handy for a lot of jobs
Attached Images

72supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #79
C-ries

Some that were my wife's grandpa's and great grandpa's wood working tools. Some I still use, others now on display in my woodshop.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2020, 07:13 AM   #80
72supr

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ries View Post
Some that were my wife's grandpa's and great grandpa's wood working tools. Some I still use, others now on display in my woodshop.
A whole lot of history in those tools I’m sure. It’s great that you have them.
72supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #81
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
The grandpa would of wanted his tools to go to some one who appreciated them ,,and they did ... I had a couple of them block planes before some years back that I bought at a garage sale I think,, I still have my little 4 inch plane and use it rarely ..

nice big table saw and table too. great to saw from both sides of the saw blade
Old 09-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #82
C-ries

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
The grandpa would of wanted his tools to go to some one who appreciated them ,,and they did ... I had a couple of them block planes before some years back that I bought at a garage sale I think,, I still have my little 4 inch plane and use it rarely ..

nice big table saw and table too. great to saw from both sides of the saw blade
I just ordered a new blade and chip breaker for the 5-1/4 hand plane...I cleaned it up and try to keep it waxed up so it doesn't rust again. I couldn't believe no one in the family wanted the antique wooden planes. I knew if I didn't take them they would end up in the trash. I used to have the 1940's to 1950's Craftsman table saw that was my wife's grandpa's but the shaft was bent so it wouldn't cut right. Picked this big saw up at a retirement liquidation auction for a local cabinet shop a couple of years ago. I've been amazed at how quick I can cut out a project with a saw that has an accurate fence.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #83
Killer Bee

Quote:
those are great! used to be a show on pbs I would catch on saturdays sometimes that the host built his projects with only vintage hand tools..

millright, woodmill, or something like that and he wore a flat cap and suspenders..

anyways, I really liked that show and always amazed what fine work he could do with manual tools over a hundred years old..
Old 09-22-2020, 07:19 PM   #84
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Roy Underhill -- The Woodwright's Shop on PBS. Very talented guy, always did things the old-fashioned way with old-fashioned tools.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:07 PM   #85
Killer Bee

that's it! hey I was close

looks like it ran all the way to 2017 but sadly has ended..

Old 09-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #86
sfont66

Not sure if any of this is “collectible” but I thought it was cool and worth saving.
Last year my uncle passed away, he was 84, he lived in the house my grandparents bought new in 1957. I believe most items to have been from my grandparents, but am not sure of that. All of the family lives in other states and didn’t want anything,just needed the estate to be settled and house sold. Most items were donated to charity, since my wife and oldest son, and myself live closer , we were able to rescue some items before the cleaning company my father hired came in. Here is a couple pics of the vintage tools and Garage related items.
If anyone has any idea what the 4 pliers like tools in the front,center were used for I would appreciate any information you may have. Also what’s with the claw hammer? What do you think ? Cool old stuff, or ?
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2020, 09:35 PM   #87
Killer Bee

stilson wrenches! I love those, even have a couple in my tool box

pliers with hammer head look like old wheel weight pliers, other two look like drum brake tools..

couple of wheel brace drills, bow saw, cool stuff!

gentle cleaning may reveal some manufacturers marks and or part numbers.. worth a look..
Old 09-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #88
C-ries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfont66 View Post
Not sure if any of this is “collectible” but I thought it was cool and worth saving.
Last year my uncle passed away, he was 84, he lived in the house my grandparents bought new in 1957. I believe most items to have been from my grandparents, but am not sure of that. All of the family lives in other states and didn’t want anything,just needed the estate to be settled and house sold. Most items were donated to charity, since my wife and oldest son, and myself live closer , we were able to rescue some items before the cleaning company my father hired came in. Here is a couple pics of the vintage tools and Garage related items.
If anyone has any idea what the 4 pliers like tools in the front,center were used for I would appreciate any information you may have. Also what’s with the claw hammer? What do you think ? Cool old stuff, or ?
Cool stuff!!!
Old 09-28-2020, 08:15 PM   #89
GOPAPA

Quote:
Sure is a nice collection you have there,,I have had some of the very same tools shown ,but when I moved I had to part with them,, thx for sharing as now from your photo I will keep,,then I have something to go by when a conversation comes up at my house as to what I used to have ,,I can say "look here this is one like i'm talking bout"
Old 09-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #90
Killer Bee

Quote:
Ok KB ,,proud to have ya looking into this Leupold Level insturment

Here is all I have about it ..the company that went out of business was named Schragg ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I bid on it at a auction in Portland and got it for $200

I was out bid for Transit Theodolite for shooting angles by degrees . it sold for $365?? and I went as high as $250 ,,I wanted the level for leveling ,, ,I used my calculator for that making 90 degrees corner and the like

well sir, still no reply from Leupold, but I have an idea why..

I called today to get some replacement ballistic turret info on an old '94 vari-x III and was placed on hold - 55th place

slightly off topic but here it is, depending on what we figure out how to do with it, my buddy may sell it so I took a bunch of pictures..

not the easiest subject to photo I'm finding out

back in 2012 on one of my model 70 .300wm.. didn't like it then but it's growing on me..

recent pictures - it's crystal clear but this is best I can do holding scope and phone in my hands

4.5 - 14 x 50 with an AO - was about $950 new in early 90's

Old 09-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #91
GOPAPA

Thx KB

With covid I suppose that ,,,,back when I ask about the Leupold did not know anything and the people now probably for sure never heard of it..
Old 10-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #92
GOPAPA

[QUOTE=GOPAPA

I have here a calculator that my kids bought me for Christmas back in the late 80ies ( I think)

I have used it for building many of the pole barns stick built barns ,Log House plus a lot of remodling for others and also my self ..it is real good for finding stair rises and steps ,,the diagonal measurements of any building lay out. Concrete amounts needed and lots of converstions ..ect ect .

I have NEVER in all these years had to replace the lithium battery

this has been probably the most important tool I have owned

FIRST PHOTO IS MY CALCULATOR
SECOND PHOTO IS ON FOR SALE ON EBAY FOR $39 /OR MAKE OFFER

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  49.4 KB
Old 10-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #93
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
well sir, still no reply from Leupold, but I have an idea why..

I called today to get some replacement ballistic turret info on an old '94 vari-x III and was placed on hold - 55th place

slightly off topic but here it is, depending on what we figure out how to do with it, my buddy may sell it so I took a bunch of pictures..

not the easiest subject to photo I'm finding out

back in 2012 on one of my model 70 .300wm.. didn't like it then but it's growing on me..

recent pictures - it's crystal clear but this is best I can do holding scope and phone in my hands

4.5 - 14 x 50 with an AO - was about $950 new in early 90's

One is over 100 years old the other about 75 , the bayonet is a Carl Eickorn dress SS bayonet,. The shotgun circa 1885 was my grandfathers and the two German items my uncle brought back from WWII he also had Japanese swords as he was shipped to the Pacific after the European theater
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #94
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
One is over 100 years old the other about 75 , the bayonet is a Carl Eickorn dress SS bayonet,. The shotgun circa 1885 was my grandfathers and the two German items my uncle brought back from WWII he also had Japanese swords as he was shipped to the Pacific after the European theater
those are amazing! I truly appreciate the preservation of history and artifacts - thank you for sharing!
Old 10-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #95
Killer Bee

Quote:

I have here a calculator that my kids bought me for Christmas back in the late 80ies ( I think)

I have used it for building many of the pole barns stick built barns ,Log House plus a lot of remodling for others and also my self ..it is real good for finding stair rises and steps ,,the diagonal measurements of any building lay out. Concrete amounts needed and lots of converstions ..ect ect .

I have NEVER in all these years had to replace the lithium battery

this has been probably the most important tool I have owned

FIRST PHOTO IS MY CALCULATOR
SECOND PHOTO IS ON FOR SALE ON EBAY FOR $39 /OR MAKE OFFER
once again, great minds think alike

this is my 1994 pocket handyman III and assorted references I've used for many parts of my trade..

I'm drawing a blank where it came from, which I'm sure is no surprise to anyone who knows me, but I believe it was either ganahls or barr..

and like yours, I don't recall ever changing the battery..

Old 10-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #96
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
once again, great minds think alike

this is my 1994 pocket handyman III and assorted references I've used for many parts of my trade..

I'm drawing a blank where it came from, which I'm sure is no surprise to anyone who knows me, but I believe it was either ganahls or barr..

and like yours, I don't recall ever changing the battery..

Even though we have google and Y-tube ,we still like our old books I see

Thanks for replying KB ,cause if I did not know better ,,I would think both of us are full of it ,,about never changing the batteries in our calculators after so many years ..

Posting of these made me remember after seeing your Handyman III that I have a couple Sharp Elsi Mate -335a calculators also and again never changed the battery ,,had them also for decades ,,and just now I took one out of a dark drawer in a dark room and works jonny on the spot as they say
Old 10-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #97
sfont66

Smile Re: Collector Tools

A few more.... These measuring sticks were almost tossed in the trash, before being rescued. They were found when cleaning out my Grandparents/late uncles house. Not sure how old they are, but the phone numbers do not include an area code. And I seem to remember grandma using the smaller 2 to keep 3 boys in line. That would make them at least 45-50 years old

Just for fun, I added a couple pics of a toy cap gun, believed to be a Stevens model from the late 1920s or early 30s. Very small, just over 3” in length. The 1918 penny found with it, helps to show scale.
Not trying to derail the thread, just wasn’t sure were to share the toy, and thought it was cool.
Hope that’s ok, if it should be somewhere else, let me know, and my apologies in advance
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2020, 03:15 PM   #98
GOPAPA

Quote:
A few more.... These measuring sticks were almost tossed in the trash, before being rescued. They were found when cleaning out my Grandparents/late uncles house. Not sure how old they are, but the phone numbers do not include an area code. And I seem to remember grandma using the smaller 2 to keep 3 boys in line. That would make them at least 45-50 years old

Just for fun, I added a couple pics of a toy cap gun, believed to be a Stevens model from the late 1920s or early 30s. Very small, just over 3” in length. The 1918 penny found with it, helps to show scale.
Not trying to derail the thread, just wasn’t sure were to share the toy, and thought it was cool.
Hope that’s ok, if it should be somewhere else, let me know, and my apologies in advance

Wow! Them measuring sticks were given lumber yards ,, I have one myself from one I did businesses with... as for the cap gun... they are very rare ,,what a find ..
Old 12-18-2020, 07:03 PM   #99
GOPAPA

KB you can stop looking for me,if you want

I found another Leupold Surverying Level for a price guide for mine,,IF I were to sell ,,which I am not.. just thought you and others would like to see what I found .

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  Vintage-Leupold-Engineering-InstrumentsSurveying-Transit-Level-W-Wooden-Tripod (1).jpg
Views: 181
Size:  47.6 KB

The seller of this Leupold advertisment will not let me down the advertisement ..must have a no copy .. but he wants $800 for his level which is somewhat like mine .

Mine is top photo ,,the one for sale at the bottom photo ..they both have wooden tri- legs that you shove the pointed ends on the legs down in the ground abit to make the level steadfast while using it

Last edited by GOPAPA; 12-18-2020 at 07:36 PM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:46 PM   #100
Killer Bee

^ wow, good find, I think those are really cool, amazing you were able to find another one like yours! market prices are good assessments for value.. I gave up on them ever responding.. one more message unanswered and last phone wait was in the teens on hold - but didn't move one spot in over 10 minutes

I'll take my friend's scope to one of the local shops for our questions.. or might try factory again in like 6 months

thanks for the pictures : )