The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
msg

Power steering column install on a 66 questions

I had planned to wait to install the steering column until the wiring was done to avoid scratching up the newly painted upper column with the instrument cluster install, but the wiring cant start until I have the inner fender on the driver side installed per the AAW 1st bag-fuse box. So I thought I would switch to do the install of the steering column since it would be easier without the inner fender on. The reference pics I took during the teardown were going to be my guide to just redo in reverse and the first thing I did was use mineral spirits to clean out the bearing at the base of the column.

Now that its clean should I put some grease in the bearing track? It didnt say so in the shop manual, just to clean all parts with solvent and dry with compressed air.

Also there is a spring that I have in the bag of parts I removed that I dont see in any diagrams in the shop or assembly manual. Anyone know which spring this would be?
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
msg

Re: Power steering column install on a 66 questions

Here are some tear down reference pics in case alignments are crucial to reset.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
cwcarpenter98

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebl...n-rebuild.html Member Lugnutz65 did a great write-up on the steering column. It shows where that spring you are asking about should go and it shows that bearing disassembled

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
msg

Dang that is comprehensive! Thanks Christian, and Lugnutz.

That spring though I didnt see, the one im wondering about may have been mistakenly put in the bag of steering column parts. The spring he has is that larger one that is still on mine that you can see in the pic Ill add.

The smaller one Im trying to locate is maybe in the steering wheel portion in the cab?
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2020, 06:09 PM   #5
cwcarpenter98

If that spring slides over your column, I believe it goes between the lower bearing and that clamp you have sitting next to it. It's used to put tension on that bearing

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 01-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #6
msg

Picking back up on this and have done most of what Lugnutz had written up but it looks like my steering is a little different than the one in his write up. I have gotten this far but the alignments he calls out as crucial might only apply to the version he shows? I followed the instructs and got this far, but the only guide I have on alignment of the shift arm is the pics I took before I tore it apart. Ill try PMing him and see what his thoughts are.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2021, 08:54 PM   #7
cwcarpenter98

His writeup with pictures were about a 3 speed column. My guess is that there's a difference between the manual and autos for the alignment

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-18-2021, 10:20 PM   #8
Lugnutz65

I noticed a few problems. Nothing major though. The small plate with 2 “V” notches needs to be flipped over. The linkage rod fits through the hole and the V notches gives the plate a small bite on the rod to hold it secure. I realize that your pre-teardown pics show it with the V like you have it, but that’s not correct. Also, the lock washer goes under the nut, not under the plate.

Your rebuild looks correct. When your column shift arm is pulled towards the steering wheel, the detent releases because the lower shift arm moves downward. That’s why there’s a large space above the lower bearing.

The clip and spring must be slid onto the steering shaft prior to sliding on the column sleeves. That lower spring keeps the shaft from pistoning inside the column sleeve. It should touch the lower bearing with only slight tension. Not much at all.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:39 PM   #9
val1gonzales

The spring goes on the end of the shaft. If you look through the pages of the assembly manual you will find a section on how to adjust it when assembling.
Attached Images

val1gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:11 AM   #10
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
I noticed a few problems. Nothing major though. The small plate with 2 “V” notches needs to be flipped over. The linkage rod fits through the hole and the V notches gives the plate a small bite on the rod to hold it secure. I realize that your pre-teardown pics show it with the V like you have it, but that’s not correct. Also, the lock washer goes under the nut, not under the plate.

Your rebuild looks correct. When your column shift arm is pulled towards the steering wheel, the detent releases because the lower shift arm moves downward. That’s why there’s a large space above the lower bearing.

The clip and spring must be slid onto the steering shaft prior to sliding on the column sleeves. That lower spring keeps the shaft from pistoning inside the column sleeve. It should touch the lower bearing with only slight tension. Not much at all.
Thank you! Ill revisit this tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by val1gonzales View Post
The spring goes on the end of the shaft. If you look through the pages of the assembly manual you will find a section on how to adjust it when assembling.

Thanks Val, I have the assembly manual and shop manuals. Ill look closer to find the section for the adjustments. That assembly manual is kinda tricky to navigate.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:58 PM   #11
msg

Just now having time to get to this. I went looking for the assembly manual reference to the adjustments but didnt see any there. I did see this one in the shop manual and it looks like my setup. It does show this to be a manual steering vs power and the conversion I have was done to power steering years ago. Is this adjustment still accurate for what I have? If I have the right reference that is.

The large spacing above the lower bearing you mentioned Lugnutz, I assume I should keep it where it is without adjusting? I replaced the clamp and screws on that lower bearing as the marks were still there from before I removed it. I just lined it up the same, thats not saying it was adjusted properly before or anything just as it was.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2021, 04:12 PM   #12
Lugnutz65

Everything looks good so far. The tooth that I show in the picture below needs to fit up inside the notches when the column shift lever is in gear, and must smoothly disengage from the notches when the shift arm inside the cab is pulled toward the drivers chest.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:32 AM   #13
msg

I am getting back to the steering column install now and I have the parts I pulled from my automatic steering column but unfortunately did not take enough reference shots to be sure I get it all installed again properly. Also this time I am using a deluxe steering wheel vs the standard so I am unsure how different the parts need to be for standard vs deluxe. Lugnuts I see on your site here on step 3
https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebl...n-rebuild.html
that the part called the shift collar tension ring has a screw that threads in though the steering column but I see in one of the only pics I had taken just after removal shows the white plastic part that looks like its sandwiched between the shift collar tension ring and another ring..might be an illusion in the pic though. Ill attach the pic I found and and some detail shots of what I have as parts to work with. I also attach the assembly manual pic that is for a powerglide which I think is what I should reference.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #14
Lugnutz65

Ring with tab sits on top of 3 dimples. White ring on top of that. Mystery ring I’m not familiar with.
Others would benefit greatly if you could document your rebuild.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #15
msg

thanks for the reply Lugnutz, I will definitely document what I do and share. Right or wrong.

On the mystery ring it lines up in this spot, still no clue what it is for.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #16
msg

I was cleaning the white plastic ring that will sit on top of the shift collar tension ring and thought the black stuff was supposed to be removed, but it may need to stay. Is lithium grease to be used on that part as well as the shift collar tension ring?
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2021, 06:16 PM   #17
Lugnutz65

I suggested a thin layer of lithium grease on the metal ring so adjustment would be easy without binding.
The plastic ring (is it nylon?) is likely a spacer that allows the shift hub to move smoothly without having metal on metal. A little lithium grease couldn’t hurt.
Let’s see what others say.