The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2021, 02:34 AM   #1
jeffs56

56 Chevy outside door handle

Hey guys the previous owner on my 56 Chevy truck shaved the doors. I’d like to put the original door handles back on. Do you guys have any recommendations on how I can do that and what to look for and do? Thank you very much
jeffs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #2
extd56

Re: 56 Chevy outside door handle

Get some original parts doors cut out and weld in the new pieces I have a few doors that would work good for that
Attached Images

extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
PDW HOTRODS

Take off the door panel and see what they did. Did they install bear claw latches also? It might be easier to change the doors if they are modified too much. Sounds like either way you would need to repaint the doors.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
jeffs56

It just looks like the did the outside of the door. I don’t think they changed the door latch. I will have to look for sure
Old 02-04-2021, 11:25 PM   #5
_Ogre

if it's anything like mine, i just filled the openings with metal
measure off another truck and start grinding, you might be surprised
i could probably convert mine back to exterior handles in no time

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #6
dsraven

if the outside handles are shaved then whoever did the job probably just filled the holes on the outside of the door skin. there would need to be some electric or possibly cable operated "poppers" installed inside the door to unlatch the door so you can get in. is there a hidden switch or a remote door opener someplace? a pull cable? what do you currently use to open the doors from the inside/outside? some pics would help
check to see if you have a stock latch and striker plate

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...ts/cx1275.html

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...ts/cx1283.html

if so then remove the inside door panel and check what you have for unlatching the door and compare that to what a stock system looks like. sometimes the inside of the door has been cut up to allow the new door opening system or a new style of door latch. without that information it will be tricky to answer your questions.
the stock exterior door handle was just a grab handle with a push button that simply pushed the lever on the door latch bolted onto the inside of the door directly opposite the outside handle plunger. some had a keyed plunger, which only stopped the plunger from being pushed, and some had a blank plunger with no key hole. some trucks had a keyed door lock plunger on the passenger's side only. I guess you would lock the door from the inside on the driver's side and then slide across the seat and exit/lock the passenger's door handle. the door latch itself was pretty simple and had no actual lock mechanism built in. that function was done at the handle end of the system. if you look at the latch mechanism, on the back side, you will see where the outside handle plunger pushes the latch to open the door. if the inside door handle was in the lock position you would be unable to open the latch from the outside. the original outside handle was held on with (2) phillips head machine screws from the inside. if the previous owner welded the holes closed you could get a cardboard pattern from a good door and mark/drill the holes open again. sometimes those welded spots can be tricky to drill through the hard weld and end up with the hole in the right spot. a small pilot hole and a carbide burr on a die grinder would possibly help you stay inside the pattern lines. I would check inside the door to see if there is a lot of weld build up that would need to be flattened out so the screws could be installed properly.
there have been some who say their doors flew open on corners etc, likely from worn parts, bad adjustment or whatever, but that is a good reason to install an updated/modern style of latch which also has a lock mechanism built in to slow down potential theft.
pics say a thousand words. show us what you are working with.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #7
jeffs56

Perfect I will get some pictures today. I have the inside door handle and I just reach thru the window and open the door lol. So I think I should be good to just find the filled up holes on the outside and install the new outside door handles. There’s no cables or remotes or anything
Old 02-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #8
dsraven

so you just leave the window open when you park the truck then? do you have a pitbull to babysit the truck when you're gone?
Old 02-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #9
jeffs56

Lol I wish my truck was drive able. I haven’t got to drive the truck yet. I need that C Notch welded in and I m looking for a original gauge cluster set for a 56 Chevy truck. After that I can at least drive the truck
Old 02-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #10
dsraven

Ok, a better description.
The original latch without anything connected to it, will stop the outside handle plunger from being able to open the door IF the latch lever, where the inner handle rod connects to the latch, is placed in the fully down position. I found this out one day with all the guts removed from the door and just the latch bolted up. The lever naturally wants to fall into the down position from gravity. This doesnt let you open the door from the outside.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:58 PM   #11
jeffs56

Here’s a pic. I think it’s stock. Let me know if that looks correct. Please. Thank you
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 02-06-2021 at 11:35 AM. Reason: flipped photo
Old 02-06-2021, 12:12 AM   #12
dsraven

Looks like a stock latch.
If you can grab some right side up pics and one or 2 from the interior side with a pic of the striker. We could get a good idea of anything else going on.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:10 AM   #13
jeffs56

You got it. It’s at my in-laws I will be back over there tomorrow to take some. Thank you for the help
Old 02-06-2021, 01:11 AM   #14
jeffs56

The is is a bad pic also. Sorry I was in the dark. Not sure if this pic is any help
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 02-06-2021 at 11:34 AM. Reason: flipped photo
Old 02-13-2021, 10:18 PM   #15
_Ogre

55-59 trucks have pretty good latches. Old worn out latches suck! Buy new latches and strikers from brothers or any vendor

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote