The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
KyFarm

Where to locate trans controller

So I have installed a 4L70E behind my new HT383 (cruise and connect package) and I am at the point of installing the harness to the trans. Truck is a '69 K10.

Main question at this point is where to put the controller.

The easiest place would be on the passenger fender (controller is waterproof) BUT then main harness wiring must get to the transmission hook-up spot along the area where the passenger side header collector is gonna be and thats gonna be hot. And there is excess wiring on this harness that is not needed for my application and I'd have to deal with that under the hood.

The benefits for on the passenger fender are: ease of installation and no new holes in firewall, drawbacks are: routing harness near exhaust and clutter under the hood.

A better place for the controller would be in the cab. I'm planning on building a "controller panel" behind the glove box door anyway because I have fan controller to mount and this one. The unused sections of harness could be tucked-up behind this mounting plate and there would be no under-hood clutter. The downside of this position is that I need to get main harness cluster out of cab and to transmission.

I was thinking I could run the harness out of the cab through a new hole in the trans tunnel, then seal it up as well as possible with dynamat and then convering that with the vinyl floor I all ready use. This would put the harness right over the trans for easy hook-up.

Sorry if this is too long but looking for any input or experience with mounting a transmission controller, thanks

1969 K-10, Short Step, (383HT/4L70E soon)-NP205
KyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Where to locate trans controller

I don't think the controllers will like the engine compartment. The controller for my suburban designated putting it in the cab out of the elements. So this leaves the area around the glove box. My 91' suburban I was able to install it in the glove box with velcro off to the side.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:44 PM   #3
LS short box

On my 68 LS swapped with the 4L60E I mounted the ecm behind the glove box using the stock ecm mount and a couple of little braces to make the mount more rigid. Had to shorten the glove box depth wise a bit. Then ran the harness thru a hole in the firewall just below the heater box.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:00 PM   #4
lutronjim

I have a connect and cruise in my 70 C10 with 65E - the tranny controller is mounted high on passenger inter finder. Have not had any trouble with it.
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
KyFarm

Thanks for the responses,

Since I have two controllers to mount, the fan and trans, I think I will built a plate to mount them behind the glove box door and go from there.

Hopefully it'll be finished in about a week or so and I'll post pictures on my build thread.

1969 K-10, Short Step, (383HT/4L70E soon)-NP205
KyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote