The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2021, 11:22 PM   #1
Awann99

Longggggg Road trip tips. What is the farthest you’ve gone?

I’m planning a roughly 4000 mile road trip in my 69 gmc 1500. I’m gonna throw the camper on and boondock in as many national parks as I can find.
I’ve made a list off all the parts I intend to carry:
Belts
Water pump
Spark plug wires
Wire.
Battery cables
Thermostat and gasket
Oil
Water.
Brake fluid.
HEI module/ distributor
Wheel bearings.
Lug nuts.
Fuel hose/ filter
Air element
Gasket maker.
Battery
Fuses.
Hose clamps.
Jerry can
Ignition cylinder.
Alternator.
Headlights.
Besides all the tools I’ll need, any other suggestions? The truck has a fresh crate motor in it and just about everything but the sheet metal has bee replaced In the last few years. I think the yoke seal on the rear end and the wiring is the only thing I haven’t replaced. Oh and it has power disk brakes now.
Has anyone else gone this far in one of these old trucks? Any tips, stories, or cool pictures of these trucks camped out? Thanks fellas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Awann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:35 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Longggggg Road trip tips. What is the farthest you’ve gone?

Tire plugs and a couple cans of fix a flat could save you a long walk .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:37 PM   #3
Awann99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Didn’t think of that. Thanks. I’ll pick up one of those little 12 volt air compressors as well.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:43 PM   #4
gmc684x4

I picked up a 70 sb 4x4 in Carlsbad drove it to the yukon enough basic tools a meter oil change check suspension brakes tires etc roughly over 3000 miles

Last edited by gmc684x4; 02-09-2021 at 02:41 AM.
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:43 PM   #5
chevy71super

The furthest I drove my 71 and 72 is about 1,250 miles over two days. On one trip the water pump failed on the 72 in Central California on I5. On that trip luck would have it my wife was following me in her car. We located a new one nearby and I replaced it on the highway exit. A thousand cars probably went by, one guy pulling a boat stopped to ask if I needed help. (Him and a CHP who ran my plates ....)

We drove the 71 from Portland to So Cal, about 1,000 miles towing my CJ5. The truck developed a misfire and mileage was very poor. (Even worse than normal if that is possible.) Turns out a spark plug wire came loose. Snapped it back on and it ran like a champ the rest of the way.

Sounds like you have everything covered. Be aware of where you park, rest when tired and give yourself plenty of buffer between gas stops. If you don’t have roadside assistance I suggest getting it. Check with your insurance carrier. Also double check your spare. Ask me how I know that is important step on a long trip.

Have fun!!! Doug
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:49 PM   #6
Awann99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy71super View Post
The furthest I drove my 71 and 72 is about 1,250 miles over two days. On one trip the water pump failed on the 72 in Central California on I5. On that trip luck would have it my wife was following me in her car. We located a new one nearby and I replaced it on the highway exit. A thousand cars probably went by, one guy pulling a boat stopped to ask if I needed help. (Him and a CHP who ran my plates ....)

We drove the 71 from Portland to So Cal, about 1,000 miles towing my CJ5. The truck developed a misfire and mileage was very poor. (Even worse than normal if that is possible.) Turns out a spark plug wire came loose. Snapped it back on and it ran like a champ the rest of the way.

Sounds like you have everything covered. Be aware of where you park, rest when tired and give yourself plenty of buffer between gas stops. If you don’t have roadside assistance I suggest getting it. Check with your insurance carrier. Also double check your spare. Ask me how I know that is important step on a long trip.

Have fun!!! Doug
Seems like you had a lot of fun with your trucks. I’m trying to locate a set of saddle tanks so I can push my fuel stops out farther. I think I will check into a AAA membership before I head out. I know they also offer discounts at some places.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:59 PM   #7
Smitty

Might want to check into getting a membership to the National Park System. Being an old fart I was able to get a life time membership awhile back. Could save some on individual entrance fees and I think there are other perks as well. Happy Motoring and have a safe trip.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:09 AM   #8
weq92f

I would be thinking more along the lines of road hazards and carrying multiple spares! Grumpy's got a good plan too, but nothing is quicker than bolting on a full sized spare.

Other than that...

Lots of good snacks and tunes... Cold Snacks for the relaxing evenings by the fire!

Enjoy the good times man.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:23 AM   #9
68bowtie

This should be called the YOLO list.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:46 AM   #10
Ptjsk

From Northern California to Colorado and back! Elk hunt, last November. It was a blast!

Pat
Attached Images

Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:52 AM   #11
Sheepdip

Drove my 72 SWB 4x4 to Missouri and back in 85, the year before another guy and I drove his Bronco to the Yukon and back....that was a good trip.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:06 AM   #12
Chevyland

I’ve road tripped these trucks several times
A cell phone
And AAA card is all you need
Go where the wind blows you ........
Take A Lot Of Pictures
If you end up in wine country
Napa / Sonoma Ca.
Please Pm me
I’ll share some wine and trucks with you
Have a wonderful trip
Please start a thread on your adventure
Have fun
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:14 AM   #13
dave6672

From to Kentucky to New Mexico and back in a 71 C20, I used to own. A lot of things on your list I took care of before I left as periodic maintenance, and had no troubles on the road at all.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #14
Chevyland

Drove this truck with my son from North Carolina to California
Mostly on backroads zigzagging 4800 miles home
First pic — Wheels Through Time in NC
Chevrolet museum ( I think somewhere in IL )
Frank Lloyd Wright’s , Taliesen in WI
Crazy Horse
Badlands

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=717185
Attached Images

Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #15
mr.mud1

the longest roadtrip i've done was about 20 years ago,where did 20 years go??from Halifax,Nova Scotia to Encinitas,California by plane to LAX,an Amtrak train to Encinitas,CA to meet up with a fella there from Utah but working in California, to pick me and my buddy Tommy up.i bought a 71 big block longhorn truck from him with about 90,000 miles,hauled a camper all it's life,solid as a rock but sunburned as you can see,we went out to eat,stayed the night and left in the morning to start out on a 3700 mile drive home with a detour to a swap meet at a desert drive in movie theatre parking lot along the way.the airlines had lost my luggage and all i had was what i had on.i was lucky,at the swap meet,i was able to buy some
t-shirts,jeans,socks,toothpaste,a toothbrush,everything i needed and a big bag of oranges we ate all the way home.one stop shopping.then onto to Peoria,Arizona to buy a trailer and load on the 72 torino a friend of mine here at home bought and i hauled it home for him.then a search for an auto parts store that might have a carb kit.the truck ran horrible.everywhere we stopped, could have one tomorrow but tomorrow is no good,we'll be 100's of miles away.i did finally find a store that had a kit and when me and Tommy stopped for the night,he went for his daily run,i went to the parking lot,made the tailgate my workbench and dismantled the carb.soon i found the spring under the primary power piston missing,went to the front desk,asked the nice lady if she had a ball point pen i could steal,she had a bucket of them so i took a dozen pens apart til i found a spring i thought would work,repaired the carb,re-installed it and on the road in the morning to Colorado Springs for 2 more trucks,a 68 and 72 that didn't run, that Tommy had bought.once there we loaded everything up in a trailer place yard where Tommy had bought a trailer, started for home.not far up the road,i looked in the mirror,no Tommy so i slowed a little,no Tommy,stopped on the side of the road,no Tommy so i went to the next exit,turned back.there was Tommy on the side of the road,hood up,not looking happy.when i got back to him and asked what happened,he said the motor wasn't happy,sounded terrible so we limped back to the trailer place we had just left.they were great and let us stick the truck in the corner of the shop and use their tools.i determined we had a dead cylinder and tore off a cylinder head.it was on the floor before they closed and it was still warm.i can't remember where we were,Kansas maybe? but anyway they recommended a machine shop,Dennis Saum i think it was and they did mostly race car stuff but we took this broken screwed up head to the shop,they were great too,stopped they were doing and a set of zillion $ set of race car heads to fix this busted up old head.i think i read about Saum's passing a few years back?back to the trailer shop,put the old girl back together,said goodbye and thanks,on the road again.the rest of the way home was uneventful,just the way i like it.once we got home,i took the truck to a local swap meet,loaded full of parts and had a guy start to torture about the truck.i told him it wasn't for sale but eventually he caught me on a day i didn't have much patience and i said,listen if you want that truck,it's going to cost,and i don't remember what i said but i figured it was enough to scare him off.it wasn't.i've had 3 longhorn trucks,2 big blocks,1 350 truck.all original paint and too stoopid to hang onto at least 1??well it's taken 20 years but i finally have another,not a longhorn but that's ok,from the same guy now living back in Utah,a 1972 Cheyenne Super 20.big block,built in Freemont,Californis,sold new at Hoffman Chevrolet in LA,74,000 miles,1 owner and in storage since 1997.I'm anxious to go get it but can't with the covid mess,the border is closed between Canada and the U.S for everything but essential travel.i'm looking into,but haven't found anybody yet,to having it hauled to friends in Ohio or even to Maine,so that when the border opens,it won't be so far to go get it.it'll all work out i'm sure.that's only 1 of my adventures but certainly the longest.take care.Greg
Attached Images

mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Longggggg Road trip tips. What is the farthest you’ve gone?

The Hot Rod Power Tour is been a long week trip that I have done several times in my 71 C-10 and once in my 56 Bel Air. The first one I did I had the old 305 TPI & 700-R4 combo in it. I put 3800 miles on it that week. Not one problem. When I got home that combo had a little over 300,000 on it so I pulled out and did my LS swap.
The following year with the LS combo I did 3400 miles, no problems.

If you come this way to Upstate SC give me a ring we get together and maybe have you place to spend the night. There are several places not far from here to check out.

Hazard stuff:
Nice floor jack. Something to lay on when under the truck. Wheel chokes. Batteries and nice flash lights. Battery box with car charger ports. Keep it plugged up when the truck is running and at night use it for phone charging.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 02-09-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #17
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awann99 View Post
I’m planning a roughly 4000 mile road trip in my 69 gmc 1500. I’m gonna throw the camper on and boondock in as many national parks as I can find.
I’ve made a list off all the parts I intend to carry:
Belts
Water pump
Spark plug wires
Wire.
Battery cables
Thermostat and gasket
Oil
Water.
Brake fluid.
HEI module/ distributor
Wheel bearings.
Lug nuts.
Fuel hose/ filter
Air element
Gasket maker.
Battery
Fuses.
Hose clamps.
Jerry can
Ignition cylinder.
Alternator.
Headlights.
Besides all the tools I’ll need, any other suggestions? The truck has a fresh crate motor in it and just about everything but the sheet metal has bee replaced In the last few years. I think the yoke seal on the rear end and the wiring is the only thing I haven’t replaced. Oh and it has power disk brakes now.
Has anyone else gone this far in one of these old trucks? Any tips, stories, or cool pictures of these trucks camped out? Thanks fellas.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think you have too much stuff on the list. Back in 69 owners of these trucks made long trips all the time without carry anything extra. So, what is most likely to go wrong. To me that would be:
Tires
Fuel pump
Ignition module (it seems you converted)
hoses
Belts.

So, plan for those scenarios. Having extra wire and electric tape is always a good plan. A water pump usually just leaks but wont strand you. Take tools.

Last edited by Davidf; 02-09-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #18
72c20customcamper

Seems like a lot of stuff . I took tools, hoses, water/antifreeze belts on a 2200 mile trip last year with my 77 Burban but I did check all fluids and packed the front bearings prior . This is my thread on the trip

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=809102

And I ain't easy on the trucks either both very accurate
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 02-09-2021 at 07:09 PM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #19
68bowtie

I haven’t done anything that far, but I did a 1,000-mile run for the blue bomb. Made it a little get away for my wife and I. Beautiful scenery from nor CA to Bend, OR. I’m itching to do another trip!

Name:  1EA86725-DAA5-4B96-8648-D3373B97EBF7.jpeg
Views: 714
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  EFF43BF6-B351-4B5E-BF39-8F5106F685D5.jpeg
Views: 712
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  178B1FF7-7E2D-4E44-8C7B-F69CA1F9BC97.jpeg
Views: 707
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  DD6427E5-3347-47C7-A1A9-CD0F77768EBE.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  58.4 KB

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:01 PM   #20
Awann99

Wow. Super cool stories from everyone. Thank you guys for the invites. My plan is to drive from Dover Tn to the Grand Canyon and then head north and check out all those parks in Utah/Colorado. I would I like to get up to yellow stone if time permits. I’ll add posts to this as I add my sleeping and storage quarters to my camper shell and any other projects I do to it for the trip. You guys are awesome.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:29 PM   #21
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I don't travel without a spare. Fix a flat melts rubber. not a fan of using that in any tire I plan on keeping.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:11 PM   #22
1-PU70

Cell phone and AAA
With all the traveling we have done I have only broken down twice
One in NJ flat tire
Once in FL Hot starter ( Ford starter solenoid fixed that problem)
First pic ready to go to Houston
Second pic ready for Cali
Third pic just Got to Indiana for the second time
We live in FL And have been to CA,IN, NJ,NY,WI KS
And a few more i cant remember
Had truck Painted when I was in TX
Still have the same truck but it doesnt see much use now
I guess we are both retired now
All I can say is if the truck is in good condition and serviced regularly u shouldnt have much of a problem plus u can get just about any part u need on the road.
Attached Images

1970 CST/10 402,700R4,3:73 posi,AC,PS,PB,TLT,PW,Buckets with heaters
1-PU70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:20 PM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

In one shot, slept two nights going and coming. I went to "A" school in Great Lakes in '73. Left ~ LA and slept the first night in Colorado Springs, second night in Lincoln, IL. Then a short trip to the base. On the way back, slept in Supulpa, OK the first night and Gallup, NM the second. I didn't bring any tools at all, and drove fast. There wasn't much room for tools in a '69 Camaro, anyway. I did have to replace the transmission while I was in Illinois. Saginaw 4 speed to Muncie M-21. Lucky nothing broke en route, considering the speeds! 2043 miles each way, but separated by 10(?) weeks of skoolin'.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #24
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ive never road tripped very far at all in any of the classic style cars or trucks Ive owned. Id love to, but I have a serious trust issues lol.

I have road tripped on my motorcycle, pretty new at the time, of over 4 thousand miles and another of over 7 thousand miles.

Wish I had a classic car or truck I could trust like something more late model.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:17 PM   #25
countr

I am so jealous, this is on my bucket list! Good advice from the veterans!
Good luck on your trip the stories will be great to hear.

Thanks Russ
countr is offline   Reply With Quote