The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #26
gysgtc

Re: What would you do?

Take a translator with you. If they tell him no, then respect their privacy.
gysgtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #27
sameyrasmea72

I don't care what anybody says, If you want it keep asking. What is the worst that can happen. Maybe not every month, but every few months.

It took me 17 years to buy my truck. I received a lot of NO's but they finnally sold it to me. If someone ask's me if one of my trucks is for sale, I have only one response, " It sure is"
Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #28
Sicklajoie
The Niner

^^^ I agree.
And while you're at it get this:
http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-spanish
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #29
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

11th Commandment .. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors truck. If it doesn't have a "for sale" sign on it, leave it be.

When you're trying to negotiate a deal, begging for it isn't a very good bargaining position.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #30
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Another angle that we don't think of too often, but is very real. Some older gentlemen don't let go of their trucks, because they don't believe anyone else would take care of it the way they did.

For some, a truck is a tool that is bought and sold without much emotion. For others, an old truck is a lifetime of memories and has extraordinary sentimental value.

When you encounter a buyer like this, flashing money probably isn't the best way to get the truck. Try building a rapport with the gentleman (even with the language barrier) and let him know how special these trucks are to you, that it would be in good hands and you would take very good care of it, so that it has many more years of memories you can share with your family, kids, grandkids, etc.

Assure him you are responsible and will take good care of his special truck. Share a story about your younger days and how special it was being in one of these trucks with your father or grandfather. Gentlemen like this want to know their "lifetime of memories" is going to be well cared for by someone responsible and who appreciates these trucks the same way they do.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
CC69Rat

I respect everyone's opinion, after all .. this post is called 'What would you do?'

But, .. is it wrong to ask respectfully and make an offer? Forgive me for insulting but anything (material) you see that I own and you have enough money .. it's for sale. How do you know unless you ask?

Do we let the old muscle just rot away? Some of this will make you sick. .. just people refusing to sell and letting them rot? I don't get it.
http://www.carsinbarns.com/

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #32
77chris03

tacos, flan, and beer....and a wad of cash....
68 C10 Stepper #1- GONE 68 C10 Stepper #2
1977 Chevy Cheyenne...gone...was my first Chevy
04 Tahoe Z71, 04 Silverado 2500HD, 04 Sierra 2500HD
99 Sierra Stepside, 17 Denali HD, 84 K10
My 1st build-- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=379333
My 2nd build-- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=700310
77chris03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #33
brownz

Thanks for all the input, I think what I will do is show up with some cash and if he does not sell the truck to me I will let it go for a few months and show bacn up and ask again, after all it is just a few blocks away from my house. Keep your fingers crossed and I will post pics up if I get the truck.
brownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #34
treveiger

Go back there with someone that speaks his language an first ask his name. Don't be a bother to him be a good neighbor not a pain in the butt. If he doesn't decide to sell it then just say thank you for takin his time to talk an leave him alone. If an when he decides to sell it you'll be first runner up most likely but if not o well.

No offense to the people here but if someone was pushy an rude an wouldn't stop I'd crush the truck before giving it to them. Respect goes a long way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #35
six-T-seven
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownz View Post
I stopped in and asked the old man if he would like to sell it, he is Mexican and does not understand english that well and just smiled and shook his head no...
I think he might understand a bit more English than you give him credit for.
six-T-seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #36
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I am one that the more you bother me/ harder it will be for you to ever get it. I ask once andd move on. my stuff is for sale when there's a sign on it
Posted via Mobile Device

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #37
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I have two comments. First as has been suggested take some cash money with you and the owner see it. I've done lots of dealing with people that spoke a different language than me but without exception when the cash came out we understood each other.

The other thing is about 8 or 9 years ago I spotted a 87 Short box Chevy parked at an old folks apartment complex. With no way to find the owner I left a note under the wiper and got no response. About a month later I left another note and this time got a phone call, which the wife answered , and she was told that the truck wasn't for sale. I backed off and a year later it was still there so I left another note and it must have been two months later I came home form work one day and my wife siad , you know that truck you'd been leaving notes on, well you got the call. A day later the truck was mine. Epilog.. That was 2006 and after driving that 6000 GVW leaf spring short box for a couple of weeks and trying to figure out why everyone raves about short boxes I sold it, and today I'm kicking my a** that I sold it.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #38
DARIO1

You can learn so much on this forum; etiquette, buying and selling, technical info and now FREE Spanish. Since you have proven you are already bold enough to approach them, take this phrase and break the communication barrier and possibly warm their sense of trust.
ENGLISH
Sir, my name is (insert your name here). I am your neighbor and I saw your truck (point to it) that needs a little work and I noticed it has not moved in a while. I would like to buy your truck (point to it) to fix it up. Are you willing to show it to me? (They may nod "YES" or "NO" at this point.)If "NO", good day sir.
This next phrase is only if you get to look at it and if he wants to sell it.
If you want to sell it please give me a price and contact me at my address (insert address here on a slip of paper). Good day sir.
Senor, me yamo (insert your name here). Yo soy su besino. Yo vi ke el camion (point to it) necessita un poqito de trabajo ee ke no se mueve. Quiero comprar ese camion (point to it) para reglar lo. Puedes mostrar lo a mi? (They may nod "YES" or "NO" at this point.)If "NO", Buen dia senor.(Offer a handshake).
This next phrase is only if you get to look at it and if he wants to sell it.
Si lo quieres vender por favor, dame su presio y yo vivo (insert address here on a slip of paper). Buen dia senor. (Offer a handshake).
Yes, mispelled lots of the (Spanish) words so that phonetically they are easier for (a gringo) to say, trust me on this; sound them out and speak slowly as they will recognize you are trying to communicate something. Again trust me they understood you the first time but it is like all of us, not practicing a language makes you apprehensive to use it.
If they want to sell, they will contact you with a price and the barrier was broken, probably rather comically an/or uncomfortably but, broken. If not forget about it and keep this slip of knowledge in your wallet for the next (Spanish person) you encounter looking for a sale.
Don't be offended if they snicker, giggle, shut the door in your face, or offer you a beer. It is always humorous when trying something new. Good luck!
DARIO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #39
kcsa75

This is Sales 101. The best way to deal with these situations is to build a relationship with the owner. Keep checking with him, talk with him, make a friend. Because of the language barrier, you may have to find a friend that speaks Spanish and take him with you when you go see him.

A couple weeks ago, I bought some wheels from a guy that had seven or eight 67-72 pickups sitting around. I asked about a 72 and he just shook his head. Said he was going to restore it "if he lived long enough."

While I was there he showed me a 62 Chevy Impala that he was doing a frame-off restoration and a 38 Dodge Coupe. He also had several other old and not-so-old cars sitting around, including a 68 Mustang that he told me was sold, but the guy hadn't come to get it yet.

Before I left, I asked him about the 72 again. Another head shake. But he was a pretty friendly fellow, I have his phone number and know where he lives. The last thing I told him before I left was that I was going to keep checking back with him about that truck. He just smiled again, but I'm pretty confident that if I keep working on him, I can talk him out of that ochre 72.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #40
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Well I'm a guy that has a lot of these old trucks Yes they sit and just keep going up in price.I remember not to long ago.I knew of a guy that had a 24 acre lot in the Outer hills of riverside headed in to redlands.This guy had over 1500 car's and trucks there where out in the weeds just rotting He has 1970 Cuda's a few chargers a few road running over 25 1955-57 T birds and 30 to 100 1950--59 chevy coup car's 2 doors.Later on i found out that Hollywood had a car lot or property they stored old car's on.

I've getting a few people leaving notes on my gate about a few that i own and at this moment I'm not hurting for the money so i can let it sit.

Now I've told this to people until i was red in the Face Convince me that i don't need that car or truck.I have a Mock up 1971 nova with a 1968 396 with 400 in it for floor shifter with factory big block AC unit on the firewall in a bag and its brand new rebuilt it has buckets disc brakes.the only 3 things that it dose not have that would make this a real find it a 12 bolt posi a tack and tilt.

Remember this is not a SS car and nova stop putting big blocks in there Novas in 1970.

I did have a guy that bugged the hell out of me for my 1967 camaro plain Jain 327 with a 3 speed on the floor nothing else was a option.He bugged me for the better part of 1 year.Even after i told him i wanted 9000.00 he told me it was only worth 5000.00.

Thats why convince me that i don't need that car or truck.If you hate seeing something rot then step up to the plate and over spend.Then the guy wont worry that you wont turn it in to one of these projects that you butcher up or never finish.If you have 5000.00 into it before you even take a wrench to it you will appreacht more in the long run
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #41
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

more of what i have and no longer have
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #42
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

my fathers car that he thinking of selling 1957 ranch wagon 2 door 5.0 fuel injected finished and his 1947 fat fender 2 door coup I hope to one day own that 350 700R4 with AC
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #43
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

So even tho you might see something rotting away it might being held onto for one of the kids that want it and he's only 14 at the time
Old 04-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #44
71gmcburb

if you have a classic or know someone who does take it with you when you next talk to him. Show him it will be taken care of.

I once found a 64 econo that was just sitting under a tree stopped by and talked to the owner and he said it wasn't for sale. I left my name and phone with him then stopped by about 4mths later. I was driving my 66 Econoline he saw it and relised that it was going to be well cared for and sold it to me

My 66

the 64

my 67 8-door as i found it

1 - Don't sweat the small stuff

2 - Everything is small stuff

Last edited by 71gmcburb; 04-08-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: wrong pic.
71gmcburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #45
R.J

go back to him and say, "cuanto" and point at the truck or show him your phone and ask him for his phone number and have someone can call him for you
R.J is offline   Reply With Quote