The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #26
Billett

Re: Teenager rant (long winded, sorry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Hey now, S10s can be pretty cool and reliable little boogers, and fairly cheap. I bought this super clean one for $4,200 with 92K on it in june 2008, put maybe $500 in cool parts in/on it, and sold it in june 2012 with 130K on it for $4,000. I actually miss the little red bastard, it was my DD and road trip ride. Went to charlotte many times with it, NY a few times, took it to Spring Carlisle in 2011, and it went all over NC and GA during my 65/66 mustang search. I probably put 2,000 miles on it just going to look at cars.
haha don't get me wrong. I had one too. I loved that damn truck. Pissed me off more times than I can count, but never left me stranded.

I sold it to pay for my 68 and at the moment I couldn't be happier. I may miss it down the road, but there honestly wasn't anything special about it aside from the rims and that's only personal value. If I ever want one again I'd buy it and do it up the exact same way haha.

But what I was really getting at is that if you can't foot the bill to fix a c10 you won't be able to afford a reliable beater. You'd just be throwing money at junk. And chances are, with all the electronics in newer cars it would be MORE expensive to fix.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #27
jjzepplin

No one ever looks at me in the Toyota Echo I drive every day. And my co workers kinda laugh when my 6-1 wide side rolls out of it. But when I drive my truck I get lots of comments and cool factor. Not looking for it but it's always there. I built it to be a TRUCK. And it's all me. When it gets back on the road ( jack stands for a year ) the rumble you will feel is not the stereo.. Echo gets 40mpg. Truck=just freaking cool!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #28
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilD View Post
I'm going against everybody elses advise and say keep it. Ive had plenty of newer cars that drained my wallet quicker than my old ones. Id rather replace alternators and batteries rather than computers and sensors.
My 97 has definitely got most of my money in repairs i paid the most for it than any other (7,000) car I've owned and cost the most for repairs it needs some now My old stuff is reliable my 86 monte carlo ss I've been driving since i was in high school I'm 30 now and I've only spent like $500 in repairs on it. Never even had the valve covers off good ol 305 HO best thing I've ever had

Another problem is the previous owners/new parts aren't that great sometimes now out of the box so it's not all the trucks fault. I noticed you replaced the alternator twice/regulator too, get yourself an newer 80's internal regulator alternator and put on. You can get instructions on here it's super easy to do my 67 and 71 both have them it's much better. Good luck bud and it will get better i enjoy life more now than i ever did in my teens.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #29
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Everything that you have repaired, rebuilt or replaced on that rig is all completely normal for a truck that old. Owning an old vehicle for a DD sometimes isn't the best thing to have.

If it's paid for... park it, and find another vehicle to use as a DD.

Don't get me wrong... cuz drivin' an old truck is the shizznit, and it's cool as all get out that you're as young as you are wanting to drive an old rig. My first vehicle was a 1969 Buick Riviera, then a 1963 C10. But that was back when those vehicles were barely 20-somethin' years old. What you have described, would have been like me driving around my grandpas 1949 Chevy 3100 for a DD back then. That was an old rustbucket with lots of problems back then.. but cool as hell. However... no way would I have made that my only source of transportation.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #30
GMCJOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Everything that you have repaired, rebuilt or replaced on that rig is all completely normal for a truck that old. Owning an old vehicle for a DD sometimes isn't the best thing to have.

If it's paid for... park it, and find another vehicle to use as a DD.

Don't get me wrong... cuz drivin' an old truck is the shizznit, and it's cool as all get out that you're as young as you are wanting to drive an old rig. My first vehicle was a 1969 Buick Riviera, then a 1963 C10. But that was back when those vehicles were barely 20-somethin' years old. What you have described, would have been like me driving around my grandpas 1949 Chevy 3100 for a DD back then. That was an old rustbucket with lots of problems back then.. but cool as hell. However... no way would I have made that my only source of transportation.

Gary
I agree. I have 4 vehicles in my drive way. The wife's daily driver, my daily, a Nissan Titan, and my 69 GMC. I would love to use my GMC as a daily driver or buy one for that use. But, either way I always have a back up for the 2 daily drivers. As a teenager I understand the limits on funds to have 2 vehicles. As stated before, if you was to sell it you would have regrets. I regret selling my very first truck I ever owned. I cruise craigslist to see if it ever pops up, though the last time I seen it was at a tow yard and most likely got crushed.

I suggest just going thru it slowly, fix things as you go. They are a money pit, but the joy in the end is what it's all about. Eventually after you get everything fixed, it will just be maintaining. It's a learning experience as you go, and a good trade to learn. Have fun.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

The way i see it, is that you've already replaced most of the big ticket items....they should be good for another 40 years now. I got my 69 C-10 when I was 14 years old...drove it thru high school year round (in Wisconsin!) until I could afford a daily beater in college. Took my wife to prom in that truck.....and brought home my baby girl from the hospital in it also. It's been 18 years, and I am still in love with it.

You've got a unique ride....I am CERTAIN that there is not another one like it in your high school parking lot. Fix things as they break, and learn from them. Parts for your truck are cheap, in the scheme of things. Good luck.

Here's my senior photo with my truck....

and 14 years later, my daughter's first ride in dad's hot rod. ( She beat her first mustang in a street race at 2 weeks old....haha.)
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #32
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

If you think you have a money pit in that truck wait until you get married.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #33
GMCJOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
If you think you have a money pit in that truck wait until you get married.
lol... trust me I know.... married(she is going to college), have a kid, a house, and in the Army. Makes the process of getting the truck the way I want it very slow. But I haven't lost sight of it yet.

Big Bad Orange, I do say one thing, you are lucky just to be just a teenager right now and just have school to worry about and part time job. Life only gets harder as you get older. Put what you can into the truck now, make it reliable, and save the small details for later.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #34
Mister-B
Account Suspended

This kid is in high school, and yet many on here are suggesting he own TWO vehicles? Last time I checked, we are in a recession, and he's hurting for money on a couple hundred bucks in repairs. If the engine and tranny are sound, eventually you'll have replaced the stuff like battery, alternator, etc. and you won't have to worry about it. Be proactive. When you replace something like the battery, replace the $12 cables while you're in it, if they are corroded or showing signs of wear.

Your old truck will only go up in value. Something newer will only go down in value, and you will also have a payment. You already own this truck, so you either need to buck up and repair it as you go (unless it gets crazy out of hand and you simply can't rely on it), or you need to sell it and get something more economical.

Just keep it in perspective. You don't have to have everything perfect on your truck. Don't get all OCD in stuff that doesn't matter. It's a truck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #35
Graham57a

I'm 19 years old and I got my truck when I was 14. I tore it apart before I got my license and now it's turned into a complete restoration. I've got over 15k invested into mine and I'm sure that number will only increase as the years go on. One thing is for sure, every new part that I put on my truck I learn something new and I fall a little more in love with her. It gets frustrating at times but you know that you'll regret selling it. Plus nothing is more reliable then a 350 SBC

1972 Chevy SWB Cheyenne Super JANE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=462072
1972 GMC Jimmy PENNY http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=735827
1968 GMC patina swb PEARL http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=731315
1972 Chevy K20 BRUCE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805788
1972 Chevy SWB Highlander OLIVE Build thread coming
Graham57a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #36
LongNLowGMC

Here's my take on this (my first post here as well, hello everyone). I had a hot rodded '70 CST10 my junior year of high school, was not my first vehicle or truck but was the first vehicle I really fell in love with (and also started my affinity with these trucks). Mine wasn't put together that well by it's previous owners and constantly had issues. It got to a point where it was costing me nearly a grand a month to keep it running, which for a 17 year old kid washing dishes part time and going to school full time was impossible to afford. After a few months of this (and selling most of my guitar collection ) my father convinced me I should sell it and buy something more reliable which I did, and I regretted it instantly. Fast forward 14 years, I've finally bought another truck like it and I intend to give it the treatment I had dreamed of with my first C10. I can relate to your situation and would understand completely if you did wind up selling. But for me, if I could rewind time I would have found a way to keep mine, to this day I still miss my first one.
LongNLowGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #37
MARKDTN

I'm 44 and I have sold a bunch of cars over the years and I miss them-some more than others-but you can't keep them all. When I graduated high school I had a '64 Impala SS with a 307 4-sp. Built a 327 that summer. The next summer I bought a '69 Camaro body and put the motor and trans into it. Sold the Impala body for peanuts, and still regret it, but what can you do? If you have a place to park it for 5+ years then do that. If you don't, then let it go and buy something reliable. You should be able to get a '95-99 pickup for under $3000 and have something relatively reliable and still be in the same vehicle type. My .02
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #38
ryans69chevy

If your really tight for money I would pull the insurance off it and park it and fix it up. It's hard to restore it if you use it as a dd. When I was in high school I had a mustang and c10 (still have both), but I would try and restore my c10 and still drive it. It made my restore projects not as good since I always wanted to drive it. If you pull it off insurance then that will give you a reason not to drive it and save you some gas money! It will also make you realize that you would miss it if you sold it!
Posted via Mobile Device
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #39
TCLARK

Keep the truck and fix things as they break ( parts are fairly cheap for those trucks ) and hopefully you can do the work. A teenager sure can't afford 2 vehicles. Unless you have a new vehicle with a warranty you will be throwing money at the second one, everything breaks. Without fuel injection & overdrive that V8 is going to take lots of your money ! Maybe hit you mother up for a loan and find an LS & overdrive !
TCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #40
Southern Shaker
Account Suspended

Hey man im 16 to an yea my trucks a pain in the but but i finally got a realiable vehicle till i can get my c10 in reliable condition, Today i went to first period and walked out with a FREE 1995 dodge ram with title in hand (teacher didnt have space for it at his house) so now i have 2 trucks ...but im being forced to choose between my c10 or the mopar
Southern Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #41
ole dollor

well that would be your call......i know what i would do....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #42
JCD

If no one has already suggested.. you may save in the long run by taking a road trip down south during a vacation and buying up a cheap stripped down 67-72 body without a motor or trans..
Transfer all your driveline and interior parts to that, and you'll have the best of your replaced items, and no future rust issues to deal with..

J.
1969 SS El Camino
1968 SS RS 396 Camaro
1967 Barracuda Formula S
1965 140/4sp Corvair Monza Convertible

Sorry, but I don't do Fords.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #43
big bad orange

I've decided no matter what I'm going to keep this truck as long as I can., and I'm replacing parts little by little. I got the charging problem worked out ,and Ian replacing the heater core and getting a new dash speaker. When I made this post I was really mad because this truck Would not stay running. I know having this is my main vehicle is a disadvantage. I just want thank everyone of you for helping me through this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #44
71K20chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad orange View Post
getting a new dash speaker.
I know you won't agree, but unless you're getting the speaker for dirt cheap, I would save the money for other things. Just my opinion.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #45
cub1450

I know how you feel I`m a junior in high school and I got a 69 c10 about a 2 years ago It still ain`t perfect.The first thing I had to do is pull the motor and replace all the seals .Then I got the motor back in and running so I got to put new brakes all the way around (first set of drum brakes I ever did but now I can change them with my eyes closed) After that I started on the body work threw a paint job on it .I had to save up And i bought $1000 worth of new tires and wheels.After that I took it down the road and it wasn`t running right so I brought it home and rebuilt the carb. Got the carb rebuilt and got to hear it run for maybe a minute and the fuel pump went out.So got a new pumpAnd all was well and good .Drove it for about 2 months and the back wheel cylinders started leaking so I just replaced all of them while I was at it .Started bleeding the cylinders backs bled perfect got to the front and they wouldn`t pump up so I checked the fluid and it was fine and we finally ruled out the master cylinder took a dump. So a new one of them.Drove it for about six months and the last thing I `ve had to do to it so far was Put a manifold on it.My old one busted so It got a header and tractor muffler on it until yesterday when I got my new manifold on.

Well I know I`ve left out a bunch but what I`m trying to say is Its forty years old and its going to break.
Yeah it might only get 12 miles a gallon but I wouldn`t trade it for anything.
And just like tonight I was driving home and I was at a four way down the road no one was around so I tromped it and smoked the tires a little but u couldn`t get that grin off my face.Still saving up for moldings ,bumper and other little odd and end stuff but thats just what makes it worth it.
Attached Images

Last edited by cub1450; 10-20-2012 at 12:43 AM.
cub1450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #46
Fizoust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71K20chevy View Post
I say park it, buy a more gas efficient vehicle, and, when you have the money saved up, make it road worthy. THEN worry about paint and whatnot.

Just my &.02
Thats exactly what I did with my 72 with a 383 stroker.
I got mine when I was 15 and gas was only 1.15, so I built a 383 stroker.
after 911 It was hard to afford the gas to keep mine on the road. So I parked it, and started driving Hondas.

Im 24 now, and been through my fair share of 92-95 civics/hatches/del sols and even tho it was reliable on gas I always missed my truck on the road. A year ago I traded a Honda hatchback for a 96 Dragrace Transam with a 6 speed. Currently Swaping it into my truck in hopes of atleast 15mpg ha.

IM VERY glad I kept mine.

I vote keep it, do what it takes to get a gas reliable vehicle. and still work on your truck.
Fizoust is offline   Reply With Quote