The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #26
DeputyDan

Re: Rechrome or new grill GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarme View Post
Its the unions Snotty! Retire with 80 percent of your pay because you installed lug nuts for 30 years?? Tax the hell out of Chinese imports.
Posted via Mobile Device
I prefer to look at it as retire with 80 percent of your pay because you fought for those benefits and produce a better product than any other country in the world. I love all the bridges and overpasses that have failed over the last few years because of foereign steel. I guess there will always be a debate but I think a craftsman deserves every cent of the pay they ask for and support the American worker. Keep in mind the reason we were able to come back from the attacks at Pearl Harbor was our industrial base, where is that industrial base now, China?
DeputyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #27
mikewarme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDixon1000 View Post
I prefer to look at it as retire with 80 percent of your pay because you fought for those benefits and produce a better product than any other country in the world. I love all the bridges and overpasses that have failed over the last few years because of foereign steel. I guess there will always be a debate but I think a craftsman deserves every cent of the pay they ask for and support the American worker. Keep in mind the reason we were able to come back from the attacks at Pearl Harbor was our industrial base, where is that industrial base now, China?
You are correct. However, most people don't have the luck of a free retirement. I'm self employed and have to save and I work my ass off too. The unions do make to many unreasonable demands that MIGHT not necessarily be the workers choice to make. Think about it. Would you rather have work or no work? We have to many people that think only cheap. Thats the mistake. So with that we can no longer compete and have to live within our means if we want work. I STILL BELIEVE WE ALL HAVE TO SUPPORT USA. Just need to get the unions to be reasonable.
mikewarme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #28
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

I think Mikes right. My parts are in good shape and they will all be rechromed in the USA. There will never be a foreign part of any kind on my ALL AMERICAN truck.
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
Ed 72 Sierra Grande

Thumbs up Re: Rechrome or new grill GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71sierragrande View Post
I think Mikes right. My parts are in good shape and they will all be rechromed in the USA. There will never be a foreign part of any kind on my ALL AMERICAN truck.
Just decided what I'm doing with mine. Thanks
402 bb / Camper
Stock, Loaded, Straight & Aged Nicely, No Tilt
Original Resto would be nice $
Ed 72 Sierra Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #30
Ed 72 Sierra Grande

Had the same probing question since I bought her in July and took her apart. Remember reading this a while back and low and behold this thread finds the right answer.

Thats what makes this site priceless. Thanks Again
402 bb / Camper
Old 12-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #31
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Just to throw something out there. Lets say u couldnt afford to rechrome. Anybody got any experience painting previously chromed parts? I saw a gmc grill on this site that was painted body color and it looked great. What primers and paints would be good for this?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #32
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

OK, nobody liked that one. What about powdercoating previously chromed parts? I was thinking about a charcoal gray powdercoat. Whos done this before?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #33
mikewarme

Hi guys,

Just had my grill and top bar rechromed localy. It is triple chrome plated and ill post pics this weekend. You won't find a better chrome finish anywhere! The company that did it is called Faith Plating in West Hollywood California. I spent $495.00 My headlight bezels were nice still so i didnt have them do those. I ordered new fender eyebrows because mine where damaged beyond repair. All dents and dings were hammered out from the grill and top bar. Keep in mind I had to drill rivets out and seperate the 2 parts. In my opinion you are a fool to waste your money on a chinese piece of garbage. This is the way to go!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #34
Tim Christian

Yea my Chinese bumper on the front of my truck really looks bad! Also my sons truck with the Chinese Grill and bumper are horrible also. You guys crack me up!! LOL!!!

Or how about the one with the whole Chinese front clip. I am not being a smart a$$ but I have used both American and Chinese parts and the Results are as only as good as the BUILDER!

Last edited by Tim Christian; 04-15-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #35
Top Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christian View Post
The grill and headlight bezels that is on my truck now were rechromed by Knox Custom Chrome in 2003 for $650.00 and now it is a grand higher for the same pieces at Advance Plating

did Knox do that awesome looking bumper?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #36
Ed 72 Sierra Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71sierragrande View Post
Just to throw something out there. Lets say u couldnt afford to rechrome. Anybody got any experience painting previously chromed parts? I saw a gmc grill on this site that was painted body color and it looked great. What primers and paints would be good for this?
My grill is straight but slightly blemished and not real shiny but I polished it out to look like a dull aluminum. The bezels have some rusty spots.

I was thinking about respraying the black and running with them. When I have the extra cash I will do the rechrome for sure.

I would like to see folks who painted, powdercoated or otherwise.

Thanks for intel.
402 bb / Camper
Old 04-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #37
aintmisbehavinn

Funny, my new grill and front bumper has stickers on the inside that say "made in USA", makes me wonder. (they fit perfect along with the new tank, wonder where it was made, can't find a sticker.)
aintmisbehavinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #38
mikewarme

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintmisbehavinn View Post
Funny, my new grill and front bumper has stickers on the inside that say "made in USA", makes me wonder. (they fit perfect along with the new tank, wonder where it was made, can't find a sticker.)
Old stock maybe. Where did you get them? I hAVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE! They trick you buy saying the company is in the USA but that doesn't mean a thing. Thanks to the unions very little is made in the USA anymore.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #39
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

it all depends on the prep!!! it doesnt matter if its chinese or american if the copper base isnt thick and even enough and if there is contamination it will rust through quickly.

Just because its made in america doesnt mean its any better. Are you seriously goin to go find a union plating shop? You better go for a tour when your there and make sure all their equipment is american.
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #40
mikewarme

You are right, however the majority of chinese parts are garbage. Over here when we made more parts very little was garbage. And no i wouldnt look for a union shop. The unions are the ones who put america out of buisness.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #41
Spoof

Before this thread is closed for political BS ...check out my repro front end. I have a NOS GMC grill sitting in my shop and I can't tell the difference, I defy anyone to ( without looking for part numbers ) The finish on the repro is smoother and shinier. Installation fitment...not great but it's hard to tell which parts are to blame. The end result left a me happy, and I'm pretty picky.
I have no intentions on swapping in the NOS grill until the repro starts to rust, and by all accounts they hold up well.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #42
x ReAcT x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarme View Post
Think ive made up my mind. SCREW the chinese. Im not buying a china grille period. It won't last! Gonna cost $1000 for rechrome and repair all pieces. Grill, division bar, headlight buckets and eye browes. Chinese replacments would cost a total of $750! Another $250 and ive got a quality made in america product!
I TOTALLY AGREE! Itll be brand new and last a million times longer.

10 Bolt Axle Rebuild Tutorial:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536415
x ReAcT x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #43
Square_78

Mine is a factory grill that was replated... $1500+ later... Grill, bumpers and a couple other small parts was $2500. Lots of money for a grill. If i ever had to replace it, I think I would get one from LMC or similar.
Attached Images

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #44
cheyenne shortstep

Repop parts suck! Not to mention supporting the local economy, which brings me to my next rant. LMC sucks in my opinion, buy from Brothers, The Truck Shop, GMC Pauls, or other independently owned / operated business. I try to support my local economy whenever possible so I recommend Brothers or The Truck Shop being that they are based in So. Cal., try a shop in your local area and or a business that supports this board.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #45
Square_78

Yes I agree. LMC parts are cheap and crappy. I dont have much experience with these older truck parts so I dont really know the difference between LMC and brothers etc. All I know is that there is a huge difference in $$$ between a $500 repro grill and a $1500+ rechome job. Not everyone can afford the good stuff. Im glad mine is factory rechomed but if I had to do it again I would sure look closely at aftermarket options. Also Im in BC, Canada so my only option to buy locally is from KMS tools and Im pretty sure their stuff is the same as LMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne shortstep View Post
Repop parts suck! Not to mention supporting the local economy, which brings me to my next rant. LMC sucks in my opinion, buy from Brothers, The Truck Shop, GMC Pauls, or other independently owned / operated business. I try to support my local economy whenever possible so I recommend Brothers or The Truck Shop being that they are based in So. Cal., try a shop in your local area and or a business that supports this board.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #46
Tinsmith9

Since I'm not going for a show truck look and use it to haul stuff all the time I was wondering what someone asked earlier in the thread concerning powdercoating the grille. I have worked with metal for 30 years and think I can get most of the dings and imperfections out enough to make a nice looking grille out of it. Anybody tried this?
Thanks, Dan
Tinsmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote