The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
72longstepper

Dark Green Pearl

DARK GREEN PEARL is a High Gloss, With High Sparkle Silver Metallic, & Red Pearl,

Acrylic Enamel, Single Stage Paint.

What color base would you guys recommend?
72longstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
Foot Stomper

Re: Dark Green Pearl

Some options to consider:
1) Don't ask a single stage acrylic enamel (or the more durable urethane option) to give you likeable results when asking for anything but solid colors. They don't do well with metallics like a base coat / clear coat system can provide. (did you notice I didn't even mention pearls!?)
2) single stage paints don't have a base - they dry shiny all by themselves without the need for a clear coat.
3) take the suggestions you like most and then spray them all out on crash panels (body shops have lots) and put them out in the sun, shade and leave them there and look at them until you can decide what you like.

The end result is very important and you have to be sure you will love it, otherwise, don't paint the entire vehicle "hoping" you will before actually seeing it.

Another thing to consider when picking a color is the level of perfection with the body work. The lighter the color the more sin it hides...the darker the color, the more imperfections it shows. Ever look a black classic that looks like hell? One that looks like a mirror? There's about 500 hours in body work difference between the two.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:55 PM   #3
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Some options to consider:
1) Don't ask a single stage acrylic enamel (or the more durable urethane option) to give you likeable results when asking for anything but solid colors. They don't do well with metallics like a base coat / clear coat system can provide. (did you notice I didn't even mention pearls!?)
2) single stage paints don't have a base - they dry shiny all by themselves without the need for a clear coat.
3) take the suggestions you like most and then spray them all out on crash panels (body shops have lots) and put them out in the sun, shade and leave them there and look at them until you can decide what you like.

The end result is very important and you have to be sure you will love it, otherwise, don't paint the entire vehicle "hoping" you will before actually seeing it.

Another thing to consider when picking a color is the level of perfection with the body work. The lighter the color the more sin it hides...the darker the color, the more imperfections it shows. Ever look a black classic that looks like hell? One that looks like a mirror? There's about 500 hours in body work difference between the two.
Well said.
Great advice, I hope I can keep this train of thought
When I get ready to Paint.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
72longstepper

TYVM for your very detailed reply. Was trying to find a "modern" update of original color and going by what seller had in the listing-------------------------

"Mix is 8 Parts Paint, 1 Part Hardener, and 2 Parts Reducer.This is a transparent paint, and should have a one color primer / sealer under it."

As you can tell I know nothing about painting a vehicle other than getting the prep work right.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #5
nsb29

If you have never painted before are you sure you want to try a translucent paint? Candies, pearls and translucent paints are the most difficult even for the most experience.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #6
notsolo

Good advice above. What you want can be done, but not exactly easy....it takes a few extra steps to pull it off. I also wanted an updated color, mixed my own urethane base coat, metallic is going to be more difficult to get an even spray on your parts/ or complete truck. Body work, epoxy primer, filler etc before you get to the far turn....on mine Silver base coat on everything before the Green metallic went over it. 3 coats of Silver, 4 coats of Green metallic, 5 coats clear. the green is not translucent, Probably could have skipped the silver, but the practice may have helped getting dialed in.
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
72longstepper

Looks great. I can only hope---------------------
Old 07-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
notsolo

Painting videos on YouTube will also help.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #9
Custom 68

notsolo that does look good, what color did you end up with then I assume custom?
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #10
notsolo

Thanks for the comps...yep custom mix. TCP Global qts of metallic base coat....UMB...4 qts .lime firemist... 1 qt gold...1qt silver...price has gone up $20.00 a qt since I did mine...There paint is decent....thicker than Nason.....thinner than Ppg dbc...
Old 08-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #11
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Painting videos on YouTube will also help.
Youtube is not an educational resource! I know guys that live by it....and run into trouble all the time.

It can help. You will be reviewing lots of videos and forums to get there.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote