The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
Funstuie

High beams work, headlights don’t.

Hey all

The high beam switch on the floor works. Headlight switch doesn’t work.

I have swapped out all headlights and I know they work.

Is there a relay? The headlight pull set is a bit rough.

What the normal cause of this?
Funstuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
kidatheart

Re: High beams work, headlights don’t.

What year truck? If the dimmer switch is on the floor, that could be the culprit. Could be the switch, or just a bad connection in the plug in. That's my opinion, but it's not worth much! good luck
kidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
RustyPile

We need more information to give detailed trouble shooting procedures. Be that as it may, here is a basic headlight circuit description.. Most models don't have factory installed headlight relays.. Fuses aren't used either... The headlight switch has a built-in circuit breaker.. Over the years, the breaker weakens, and trips for no reason and the only repair is switch replacement..

Power is fed to the switch, one wire goes from the switch to the dimmer switch common terminal.. Power leaves the dimmer switch through 2 wires.. Depending on the beams (hi or lo) selected by the dimmer switch, power is routed to the headlight bulbs. The two wires from the dimmer switch split near the back of the radiator support and go to each headlight.

Using a volt meter or test light, start at the headlight switch and follow the power path through the connections, checking for loose and or bad connections including grounds.. If you have power to the headlight switch but nothing coming out, check the plug connections first.. It's not uncommon for loose connections to develop, causing heat to develop on these connections causing plug failure. If all is well at the plug, the switch is probably bad..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
franken

Cycle the dimmer switch about 10 times.
franken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
We need more information to give detailed trouble shooting procedures. Be that as it may, here is a basic headlight circuit description.. Most models don't have factory installed headlight relays.. Fuses aren't used either... The headlight switch has a built-in circuit breaker.. Over the years, the breaker weakens, and trips for no reason and the only repair is switch replacement..

Power is fed to the switch, one wire goes from the switch to the dimmer switch common terminal.. Power leaves the dimmer switch through 2 wires.. Depending on the beams (hi or lo) selected by the dimmer switch, power is routed to the headlight bulbs. The two wires from the dimmer switch split near the back of the radiator support and go to each headlight.

Using a volt meter or test light, start at the headlight switch and follow the power path through the connections, checking for loose and or bad connections including grounds.. If you have power to the headlight switch but nothing coming out, check the plug connections first.. It's not uncommon for loose connections to develop, causing heat to develop on these connections causing plug failure. If all is well at the plug, the switch is probably bad..
The OP description of the problem leaves a bit to be desired.

I can only assume the HI beams light but the Low beams do not... That is probably incorrect but my crystal ball is on the fritz.

The headlamps have a fusible link in the feedline not a fuse... usually at the starter BAT terminal. It can differ by model year. There's no mention of the model year or other pertinent information. Again I find my crystal ball insufficient to the task.

I can't recall a circuit breaker in the headlamp switch itself.
If the parking lamps light up there is power to the switch.
The dimmer is a single pole double throw switch. It has three connections. Power in from the headlamp switch, Low beam out, and HI beam out.

If the HI beams light and the Low beams do not, as his verbiage seems to imply, then the dimmer or the dimmer plug is suspect.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
Funstuie

Hey all

Sorry for the vague initial post and no follow up.

It’s 76 C10 stepside, Scottsdale trim with a 350 engine.

New wiring harness installed and the high beams and low beams worked but Suddenly the low beams, as in when I pull the light switch on the dash the low beams don’t come on - park lights do come on though. When I step on the switch on the floor the high beams do come on.

I replaced the headlights and the same still happens

I’ve ordered a new floor dimmer switch and a new dash switch
Funstuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #7
hatzie

It's the dimmer or the dimmer plug.

You can take the headlamp switch back.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
Bandit130

I had a similar situation happen a few weeks ago. Pulled headlight switch, no lights. Pressed dimmer switch, lights came on high and would cycle low to high with each press. Replaced dimmer switch, solved.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote