The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2011, 01:57 AM   #426
litew8

Re: Silver Dollar

Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 AM   #427
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Here's some changes in your text I would suggest:

I've bought a lot of vehicles sight unseen. I like what you've done, but when I'm clicking through dozens of ads, it helps to get salient facts quickly - especially when using mobile devices. What I like is bullet points of the major things that it offers, an admission of what it needs, and lots of close up pictures. I like pics that are clear and up close. Nearly anything looks good from 10 or 20 feet away. Take some shots down the sides to show how straight is is. Put it up on a lift so people can see the craftsmanship underneath. Show how much tread is on the tires.

More pics, the better. Good luck!
That looks great. and it easier to read. that was one of the thing i struggled with. how to get all the info out there, and not take 20 mins to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
yes to zoomin also - on breaking up your context into manageable blocks (or read paragraphs). I'd add, begin & maintain paragraphs according to a relative description. Keep them 7 lines (depending on area width) max., then start another descriptive paragraph. Keep it clean with simple abbreviations.
never even thought about bullet points. spelling has never been my best subject either, as you can tell. thank you for the great advise and taking the time to read it. love the what you did with the picture. it looks fantastic.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #428
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Nutshell: I don't come to eBay to read a narrative. I want simple to find, relevant info without having to wade through what I would suspect is BS. Someone who appears to be trying too hard is probably trying to cover something up, in my mind at least. (Not saying you are by any means; just saying that's my first thought when I see a bunch of rhetoric.) Bullet points, only necessary descriptions and explanations, and tons of photos. An obvious sales pitch like yours will make me run away, and fast.

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #429
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
Nutshell: I don't come to eBay to read a narrative. I want simple to find, relevant info without having to wade through what I would suspect is BS. Someone who appears to be trying too hard is probably trying to cover something up, in my mind at least. (Not saying you are by any means; just saying that's my first thought when I see a bunch of rhetoric.) Bullet points, only necessary descriptions and explanations, and tons of photos. An obvious sales pitch like yours will make me run away, and fast.
Do many of you guys feel this way?

I only wrote it this way. because the other way seams so cold and distant. I figure a real buyer not a looker or "tire kicker"
would want to know or be assured as best he can that he is truly dealing with a real person especially for the price Im asking.

You are right it is a sales pitch and granted it might be laid on a little thick. but I am tring to sell it. I want the prospected buyer to be moved and see himself in that truck. and get him to at least call me.. i think its a fine line between to much and not enough. and that is exactly why I posted it and asked for opinions. so thank you for yours.

Just for curiosity sake. you mentioned trying to hard and possiably covering something up. I know your not saying I am. but with what you read what part leads you to that assumption. and i will try and change it.

Zoomin you mention you have bought several vehicles online what was your impression.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #430
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
Just for curiosity sake. you mentioned trying to hard and possiably covering something up. I know your not saying I am. but with what you read what part leads you to that assumption. and i will try and change it.
That's the problem: there's nothing specifically in there that would lead me to that assumption. It's the overall sales spiel that turns me off. But that could very well be just me -- I hate salesmen.

Here's the bottom line of what I want to know before I buy a used vehicle (in general, not this truck specifically):

1. Who did you get it from and what do you know about its history?
2. How long have you had it?
3. What has been done to it and who did the work?
4. Why are you selling it?
5. What is wrong with it?
6. What's your bottom line on the price?

Beyond that, I'll look it over myself (online = need tons of photos) and really only need to be told that which I can't see in the photos. As a buyer I have absolutely no interest in hearing about your drives to DQ (no offense). Like Joe Friday, "Just the facts."

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #431
litew8

Never bought a vehicle off of e-bay, but my disposition is like this - I have selective hearing/reading when purchasing anything. If someone went off about personal opinions or stories, my brain automatically ignores it because I know its an inanimate object I'm looking to aquire and not hearsay. Sure, I get a sense of how the person may have cared for the object, but honestly - I don't trust anyone really.

I'd suggest if you must give a personal story or reflection, do it in the last (closing) paragraph - but keep it short and simple.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #432
mrhino
Account Suspended

I did it. it on again. I hope you dont mind Zoomin but i used your edeit version. and changed it up some. got rid of some of the personal stuff but kept some of it. I think its a nice mixture of the two. Brossow I think I answered all your questions. litew8 I used your photo here is a link

check it out. tell me if it sucks. oh and how long it takes the pictures to load.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...t_24544wt_1164

once again thanks for all your help everybody.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #433
gearheads78

I think you are making to much of the listing. You need 60-80 pictures of every nook and cranny inside and out and under. Chances are better someone across the country will bid just let the pitures do the talking and give a basic simple yet descriptive write up.

my .02

EDIT: I see you just relisted it. The new add looks fine to me but I would add 2 to 3 times more pics. Even if you don't list them in the auction create a photobucket account and link to them.

I also just noticed you don't have any stereo or A/C both are easy deal breakers to someone that have the cash to buy a turn key truck like this.

Last edited by gearheads78; 09-14-2011 at 08:47 PM.
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #434
litew8

I just read your ad mrhino. I think it was an easy read. Would have been easier to read with bullet-points listing the items. I think the right person will realize the quality you are offering. Alternatively, if you still can, you could change the black bars along the top and bottom of the thumbnail pic to yellow - help it to stand out quickly. Or, add white text to both the top and bottom black bars - maximize your real estate.

Edit: You've already got 8 bids! wow

Last edited by litew8; 09-14-2011 at 10:42 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #435
mcbassin
Still Learning

Your auction and pics look great! All you need is the right buyer to come along.

I know how much time and work you have in this ride. There is no way I could stand to sell my ride when I get it done. It's understandable though when it's that nice it makes it hard to enjoy without thinking some jack is going to door ding it or key or whatever......I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Good luck with the sale.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #436
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Zoomin you mention you have bought several vehicles online what was your impression.
I'm a very analytical type - all of the people that I have bought cars from never listed all the items that >>> I <<< care about, so I contact them via email or phone to get more info. I also get a feel from them if I can trust what they are telling me.

But pictures do not lie. If they show a picture of the trunk and it has carpet, I ask for another pic with the carpet folded back. Some people don't oblige and that's that. The ones that do only help their cause.

You listed your contact info and that's a huge plus. Since your asking price is in the high range for these trucks, the more you show the workmanship that's in it the more likely you are to get your price.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:29 AM   #437
litew8

Wow! 13 bids and over 21 thousand! Nice run
Old 10-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #438
72gmcshorty

On your gas tank, there were two small tubes sticking out the side (opposite side of the filler). What did you do with those?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #439
mrhino
Account Suspended

I capped one off and used the other as the vent.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #440
72gmcshorty

So out of the three tubes sticking out of the tank (one big one next to the filler and the two smaller ones on the other side), you used one of the small tubes and capped off the other, and capped off the tube above the filler?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #441
mrhino
Account Suspended

yea that sounds right.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #442
mrhino
Account Suspended

just thought I would let everyone know that I did sell the truck. I think it will be in good hands. the new owner seams to have big horsepower plans for her.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #443
gearheads78

Quote:
just thought I would let everyone know that I did sell the truck. I think it will be in good hands. the new owner seams to have big horsepower plans for her.
Great news. What was the source you sold it from?
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #444
coop34

Did you get close to asking price? It was a beauty!
coop34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #445
mcbassin
Still Learning

Congratulations on the sale I hope you got what you needed out of it. Okay, so what's next? Time for another project.......... be sure to attach a link here
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:23 AM   #446
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Congrats on the sale of your truck!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #447
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheads78 View Post
Great news. What was the source you sold it from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop34 View Post
Did you get close to asking price? It was a beauty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Congratulations on the sale I hope you got what you needed out of it. Okay, so what's next? Time for another project.......... be sure to attach a link here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Congrats on the sale of your truck!
Thanks guy's I did sell it through ebay sorta. I went back through all the emails and text messages for all three auctions I ran (I saved them all) found about 10-12 that i thought were serious buyers and for whatever reason just couldn't make a deal and I offered the truck at reduced price. I had about half of those people get back with me wanting to make the deal, but it was too late. I had already sold it, to the first/second caller. I am happy with deal and although the new owner hasn't taken possession yet. I am hopeful he will be happy as well.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #448
72gmcshorty

Did you make any money after all said and done? (not including your labor time/cost)
Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #449
dontbethatguy

I'm the happy new owner of mrhino's '70 truck! The truck finally arrived this past Thursday, and you truly can't appreciate the hard work that went into the truck until you see it in person. The truck is better than I hoped, and Mike is a stand-up individual! I wired money to him sight unseen, and he kept the truck for a month after it was paid for while we waited for a transport to pick it up. The truck looks and drives great, and the truck is very well built!

Over the next 4-6 weeks, the truck will get a Classic Auto Air system, complete stereo system, tinted windows, and a leather split 40/20/40 bench seat with a fold-down arm rest and cupholder. The stereo will be wired and installed by the same guy that is doing the complete stereo and interior on my '69 Camaro. I can trust that it will be tastefully installed and have a clean look once it is in.

Thanks for a great truck Mike! You and your family did an excellent job. She will be well taken care of!

Trevor
Posted via Mobile Device
dontbethatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #450
67cheby
67cheby

cant wait to see the upcoming plans, keep us updated with pics !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote