The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Beersnob

Project "Stacey David Makes It Look So Easy" 72 C-10

Well, I've decided to start a build thread. Here is what I'm starting with. It's a 72 with a stepside bed. I did some research and found out that it was originally a straight six, but now has a 350 under the hood. It was customized (poorly) a few years ago and then neglected.

My goal is to make it a 20 footer and weekend cruiser. Mechanical-wise, it's a pretty solid truck. It runs great and drives very well. I have never done body work, so that's going to be the biggest headache. I recently picked up a Millermatic 140 MIG welder (I've never welded either) and I'm getting ready to tear into it.

This is going to be a very low budget build (hopefully) as I will attempt to do all the work myself, to include paint.

Wish me luck!

Here is how it sits now:

Beersnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Low Elco

Re: Project "Stacey David Makes It Look So Easy" 72 C-10

Just jump in and get ta whackin'! Although I'll warn ya, you may as well tear it apart to the frame now, that's where these things always seem to wind up!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Low Elco

PS- neat stepper! Have fun!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
RexDodge

20 footer...say what?!
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Beersnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDodge View Post
20 footer...say what?!
I guess my point is that I don't want a show truck. I want something that I can drive daily, park in a parking lot and not have to worry about someone dinging it, etc. I want a clean truck that turns some heads that I don't need to polish with a diaper every weekend. It's still a truck after all.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Tinkermc

looks like a very nice starter
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
suspect

nice truck to start with. i do have one suggestion.........more pictures please.

Romans 10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
10754u

Thumbs up Re: Project "Stacey David Makes It Look So Easy" 72 C-10

Nice truck, I just got mine last week. I have the same intentions. 20 footer and a daily driver. I'll posting pics later.
10754u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
Beersnob

Here are some more pictures of what I'm dealing with. I started grinding some of the paint down and it appears there is a lot of rust around the drip rails, so I don't know if they're going to stay yet or not.

The interior is definitely going to be upgraded as I don't particularly care much for the wood dash. Unfortunately, all the wires were cut, so putting it back to stock is going to be difficult. It looks like a custom dash is in the works as well. The seat appears to be out of a late 80s/early 90s Chevy truck. It'll do for now, but it will be replaced as well. Of course, I'll need new floorboards to bolt the new seat to as the current ones have some holes in them. Oh, and the steering wheel needs to be replaced. The interior will be saved for last as I still plan on driving the truck.

The engine will get a refresh, with heads/cam treatment. I haven't committed to doing anything in particular with the engine yet and a big block still isn't out of the question. My goal is to have roughly 400 hp, give or take.

Oh, and yes, the Mustang taillights will have to go as well. I'm really wanting it to appear pretty much stock, with some little custom things here and there.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Beersnob

Here is a small sampling of what I'm dealing with, body wise. I'm sure it's nothing new to most of you guys that have restored one of these.

This is the passenger side cab above the door, it's about a quarter-sized hole that looks like it's been filled before. Any suggestions on how to fix it? I tried to weld it and now I've got a pretty big glob of weld that will need to be smoothed down.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the typical cab corner hole. Looks like I'm going to be ordering some patch panels in the near future.

I'm basically just picking a section a day and grinding it down to bare metal, or pretty close to it to see what I've got. There are a lot of rust bubbles throughout the paint, so that's what I'm focusing on now. Luckily, most of what I've uncovered so far has been pretty solid with just a few trouble spots. This is a heck of a time to learn how to weld.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
Tinkermc

it is a slow process but worth the work
Old 06-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Low Elco

Get some ESAB .023 easy grind wire (order it off the web),turn your heat down, ensure you have clean shiny metal and a nice close fit at your edges and have at it! Weld up some scrap before you hit the good stuff. Go to the yards and get an old fender to practice on. Have fun!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
Beersnob

Well, the hole is now a lot bigger after trying to find some good metal. Looks like it was filled quite a bit and even on low settings, I was burning the previous welds. The issue I'm having now is how to get behind it as it's got the inner cab to deal with.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:58 AM   #14
jhaymon

stop grinding. your going to end up with a convertible at that rate. you'll never get to unrusted metal in there. not on these trucks. it's not this new tinfoil they use on trucks these days. it's not real prewar steel, but its pretty close. the best you can do it spray some converter or something like that in there. im using eastwood rust encapsulator. works great. it surprised me actually. i started on a cab that had more bondo than metal. i sprayed some up in one of the b pillars before i decided to replace the cab. i just cut it up after it sat in the yard for 5 years and the b pillar didnt rust back like the other side.

i see allot of rust under the paint coming your way. you might wanna find a better cab. these trucks are a dime a dozen. put a parts wanted ad in your local online classifieds and people will call. i picked up my cab for free from a guy that just wanted it hauled off.
jhaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
Beersnob

I've stopped grinding and the hole is now squared off. I'm going to weld a piece of sheet metal in there and then smooth it out. I don't think anyone makes a replacement piece for that area.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
jhaymon

your in ohio? how close are you to alotta salvage. (937) 866-1849.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #17
Beersnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaymon View Post
your in ohio? how close are you to alotta salvage. (937) 866-1849.
It's about 20 miles from me, but this is the first I've heard of it. Thanks for the lead!

As for the hole, I squared it off a bit and welded a patch into it tonight. It was my first attempt at welding something like this, so I know it's not the prettiest thing, but you have to start somewhere, right?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
jhaymon

looks good for a first try. i know guys that have been in this game longer than me that cant do a butt weld as good.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
Beersnob

After some bondo and sanding, this is what I've got now. It was a slow process, but I think it turned out pretty well.

I do, however, think I'm going to need some help with this patch panel. It might be a little too complicated for me by myself.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #20
jhaymon

i never use more then i need with patch panels. i normally go 1" above the rust and cut. i dont believe ive ever used a whole patch panel. just a truck has some great instruction. you leg makes a get bending tool to get the right shape.

stacey is a freak of nature. he makes everything look easy and his guitars are as sic as his builds.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
Hubscrub
Cruzin

For a first time welding that looks good, i agree on using only as much of the patch as needed make life easier. Good luck on what you want to accomplish.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #22
Tinkermc

I also never use more patch panel than needed. Your first weld looks very nice, you should gain some practice doing this job.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
omodified

Subscribed. Welding looks pretty good to me!
Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #24
Beersnob

I decided to go ahead and take the bed off today. It was kind of a pain doing it by myself, but I finally got it done. Looks like I've got some more body work to do on the driver side as well. At least it'll be easy to get to now. It's also time to order a new rear wiring harness for it. The PO cut the wires in order to connect them to the Mustang tail lights. I guess I should be thankful. Question though, is plugging the new harness into the plug in the rear crossmember all I'll have to do?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
Tinkermc

looks like progress 2 me