The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
RLTAutoTeacher

Exclamation Defective drop spindles

I have a 67 short step side that I have done a restoration on with the auto tech students at the high school where I teach. I bought a large amount of the parts for this restoration through Chevy Duty (Classic Parts). One of my orders was for 2 1/2" drop spindles. I ordered these when I had a bare frame sitting on the shop floor, 2/15/2005. It wasn't until September of this year that we were ready to do an alignment on the pickup. At that time I found that I wasn't able to set the camber on the left side. I had too much positive camber. When I checked SAI, it was equal from left to right. It was the included angle that was off by 2 degrees from left to right. The only possible answer was a defective spindle. I called Classic Parts to tell them of the problem, and because of the age of the order they referred me to Classic Performance Products (CPP) who they bought the parts from. I called CPP and they had me ship the spindle to them for inspection. It took me over two weeks to get a reply from them. Their reply was that they could find no problem with the spindle, but they were going to ship me another. "Thank you very much!" When I finally got the other spindle installed, I found that the 15" wheel wouldn't clear the spindle without dragging. I called them and told them this, and suggested that I take a grinder and remove a liitle of the excess casting. They agreed, and I rechecked the alignment. I still had an alignment problem, so I called them back. Of course they insisted that I couldn't have gotten two deffective spindles and I must have a problem with the pickup. I have alomst 30 years experience, and I know what I'm doing. To prove it to them I switched the spindles from left to right and rechecked alignment. The problem moved to the other side. I called them back and they could give no answer to the problem. I then ordered spindles from Early Classic Enterprises. Once they were installed the pickup ligned up beautifully, and drives great. I just called CPP about a return. They told me that because I had bought them from Chevy Duty I had to contact Chevy Duty about the return. I called Chevy Duty and they called me back and told me that I would have to return them to CPP (more shipping charges), and they would determine if I should get a refund or not, plus there would be a 20% restocking fee. I told them that was not acceptable and I was going to keep my parts and consider my options. Any suggestions???
You guys that have bought spindles from CPP, if you're having alingment issues, don't modify your pickup until you have checked SAI and factored in included angle. If included angle is off by more than 1/2 degree from side to side, you have a bad spindle. Period!