The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
wahl4m

292 off set air - cleaner pics ??

my 1969 chevy c-30 truck w/ a 292 6 cyl. engine seems to be missing some kind of" spacer " on the stud mounted over the valve cover ??? the oil bath unit seems to set too low/also hits on the valve cover -and when the top half fits down on it -the lower part /that mounts on the stud seems to be at a lower level than it needs to be ???? am i missing something ??? got to be some kind of spacer ?? if so can i get a picture or some dimensions OR THE PART I AM MISSING ??? THANKS MIKE
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
RichardJ

Re: 292 off set air - cleaner pics ??

This isn't mine, but it shows the complete PCV system, including the spark arrester in the hoses from valve cover to air cleaner spacer.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...er#post5805555

In case someone changed or modified your post/bracket, this picture shows that it bolts to the two bolts on the side of the head. My lower bolt is also holding a triangulated brace for the AC compressor bracket. The air cleaner will slope forward, very close to the valve cover to match the angle the carb is mounted. The post is unaltered if I recall.

I tried to find my old tube to get a height measurement, but I was not successful. To work with a 4bbl, I welded a larger tube directly to the air cleaner.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
JJR

Take a look at this link of one that was for sale years ago: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=245672 . I had a complete unit years ago I got off a full size van but swapped it for items I needed.

Second Owner 70 C-10
Second Owner 93 GMC C1500
Third Owner 99 C2500 Crew Cab Short Bed
JJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:38 AM   #4
wahl4m

still dont see what i need !!!!!!! there has to be a spacer on that stud on the pass. side ?? like i said the oil bath half of the air cleaner sits too low if there is no spacer ??? I ALSO NEED THE NUT ON TOP-IT HAS A BIGGER BASE /WASHER ON IT thanks guys for any help !@
Old 08-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahl4m View Post
still dont see what i need !!!!!!! there has to be a spacer on that stud on the pass. side ?? like i said the oil bath half of the air cleaner sits too low if there is no spacer ??? I ALSO NEED THE NUT ON TOP-IT HAS A BIGGER BASE /WASHER ON IT thanks guys for any help !@
I think I know what you are talking about. Sorry not to have a pic but are you talking about this "spacer" on the threaded bolt that comes out of the center of the carbureator allowing your air cleaner to bolt on top of it?

My carb has three nuts in about the center of that threaded bolt (redundant term I know as bolts tend to have threads) and those three bolts are tack welded together. I assume my dad did that after putting on a power brake booster and he did some mods to the air cleaner.

If that is what you are talking about, you could simply screw down two nuts (one at a time) to the height you need. Two nuts touching each other lock each other into place.

*I am going to see if my off set air cleaner will fit and if so, I'm good. If not, I am going to cut out those welds/cut off those nuts and do something else.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
wahl4m

thanks for the info /i did think about doing the double nut deal w/ a big washer ?? i might just take a piece of delrin/ plastic and do a tapered piece on a lathe -to act as a spacer thanks guy for all the help ! this air cleaner on my truck is setting at an angle /and it being filled w "oil ! everything is goofy ?? thanks
Old 08-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
RichardJ

Does the support rod bolted to the right side of the head look like mine in the second image? I imagine yours has probably just been bent down.
The only thing on the rod was a little cork gasket/washer. Oil splashing on the center rod, runs down and out making a mess. I welded a short piece of steel tubing on the inside of the bottom section of the air cleaner to act as a dam. It helped a little, but the air cleaners still get messy.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
thanks for the info /i did think about doing the double nut deal w/ a big washer ?? i might just take a piece of delrin/ plastic and do a tapered piece on a lathe -to act as a spacer thanks guy for all the help ! this air cleaner on my truck is setting at an angle /and it being filled w "oil ! everything is goofy ?? thanks

Why would your air cleaner fill with oil? Do you have bad rings on your pistons?
Old 08-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #9
wahl4m

its a oil bath type air cleaner !got to remember this is on my "ryder " truck which had all the hd commercial type stuff on it ! grey paint inside cab ,nice black PLAIN vinyl seat ,no cig lighter .3 hole dash.idiot lites,even the 2 hole 1-ton 16.5 commercial wheels
Old 08-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #10
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
its a oil bath type air cleaner !got to remember this is on my "ryder " truck which had all the hd commercial type stuff on it ! grey paint inside cab ,nice black PLAIN vinyl seat ,no cig lighter .3 hole dash.idiot lites,even the 2 hole 1-ton 16.5 commercial wheels
The possibility it was an oil bath type did occur to me but I didn't think anyone would be running such a set up. I must admit my knowledge of such things is limited (well my knowledge of most things on this forum is limited ).

So this air cleaner must have oil in it? Tell me more.