The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Sometimes you just have bad luck. Heater Box.

My dad and I had used RTV silicon to glue down the big gasket on the heater box prior to the attempt to get it back on to the truck today. However, a certain knucklehead managed to catch just the gasket on one of the two studs protruding from the firewall pulling that gasket right off the heater box! (I'm that knucklehead).

I was good though: no cursing, no yelling, no real reaction other than shock. At least the gasket was intact.

So we glued it down again! We'll try again tomorrow.....sometimes you just have bad luck.

At least I got you guys a pic of how we clamped it all down while the silicon cures.

In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Sometimes you just have bad luck. Heater Box.

An old boy I know taught me to use weatherstrip adhesive on gaskets. Works like a charm, but too late for that now. You'll get it done!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Gasket? I think those were glued to the firewall from the factory.

I used 3m Window Weld. It's a pliable soft round strip. You buy it in rolls. I don't remember if I used a 1/4" or 3/8" bead. Got it at the local auto parts house. It just sticks right in the recessed area of the heater box.

Never had a leak or problem with it.

Gary
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:15 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Now you guys tell me and even show me a pic.

Oh ya, GM glued this thing on with A LOT of glue! I was just trying to use the gasket I payed GMC Paul for. Weatherstrip adhesive? Ugh. I'll try that if this go fails. Thanks.

But do you like my clamping?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Oh man... I just looked and didn't know you had been fighting this box and the whole ordeal... I just stumbled upon this thread. Sorry dude... I'm always late.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:23 PM   #6
In The Ten Ring

It's been a long, drawn out process! I first removed this thing last year and began the clean up. I derusted and repainted all the parts, but since I was advised not to remove the flapper to paint the inside of it, I had to leave that to flash rusting again.

I asked a ton of questions and got it back together pretty well. I ended up having excellent results with 1/8 inch diameter 1/2 inch gripping area aluminum rivets and I was able to use a steel 1/8 inch washer on all but one rivet. I like how that turned out.

I put in a new heater core that I had pressure tested but I couldn't get the foam gasket to work with it. Grumpy Old Man sent me some foam pieces for around the tubes, those worked far better than what GMC Paul's kit had.

What happened today was annoying but hopefully dad and I will get it tomorrow. I have decided to jack up the front end and remove the passenger front wheel....that should allow better access to the firewall since this thing is rather heavy and awkward for one man to hold.

Murphy's Law and I have really gotten introduced concerning this task but it's been a learning experience. The real hold up right now is getting the new body panels painted so a little delay on this isn't that big of a deal.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I'd say that a great job of holding that gasket in place. If nothing else, it will intimidate it into not moving even if the clamps don't work. Gitter done is all that matters. Whatever it take. Better go get a patent on that!

Been working on these trucks for many years. Know them inside and out, top to bottom, end to end, and I still have those kind of days. Fasteners disappearing I had the where with all to place in a specific container. Hmm, I guess that one decided to hop out and run away. Threads that just won't start, but another generic one will and the correct one fits other threads. How does that happen? I have felt there is an cynical unseen power hovering over me that gets a kick out of aggravating me. MWAH HAH HAH HAH. I look up and it's never there. But, I still talk to it...sometimes very loudly. That's when I notice my neighbor giving me a funny look

And that is why I tear into these trucks purely for pleasure and relaxation

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=709670

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-11-2016 at 06:34 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #8
Willie Makeit

clothes pins work great to hold gaskets in place while adhesive/rtv dries. cheap too.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
clothes pins work great to hold gaskets in place while adhesive/rtv dries. cheap too.
Great idea!

Special K: "shop gremlins".....
Old 08-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #10
cleszkie

Just don't glue both sides of the gasket. Or next time you need to swap out the heater core you won't be able to get the housing off the firewall without mangling it.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
Just don't glue both sides of the gasket. Or next time you need to swap out the heater core you won't be able to get the housing off the firewall without mangling it.
Good point! All I did to the other side was to clean off the front of the firewall.

Here it is back on, in all it's greyish glory! We got it on about 2 hours ago.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The Window Weld is pliable and you can pull the box off with a little effort, but it won't destroy it.

I know that doesn't do any good now...

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #13
67swb72klb

The window ribbon is what I have always used it is just butyl it will seal but you will be able to get the box back off much easier if you ever have to
Old 08-11-2016, 11:10 PM   #14
In The Ten Ring

Well guys, keep the advice coming. Knowing me I'll have to redo this at least 3 more times.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Hey that sounds like my project!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: