The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Inner vs Outer...It's a battle

Let me start by saying that I am using Goodmark front outer and inner fenders, so I know I am already at a disadvantage here.

I've put on the outer fenders several times in the build process with no problems, but I went to install the inners for the first time and had zero issues with the drivers side. Everything lined up and it bolted right in. The passenger side on the other hand has been a battle. I finally have it in, but I have three holes on the outer/inner lip that aren't even close. I have a small gap between the core support and the outer fender that will not close up due to the inner fender.

Do I have an incorrect inner or outer fender somehow? Am I just not holding my mouth right? Is this normal? What tricks can you tell me that I can see if I can get this thing to work? No idea how I will fight this B@$=@!* in there once it is painted.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
weim55

Re: Inner vs Outer...It's a battle

I went through this on my '67 with a repop outer fender and original inner fender. The inner would NOT fit the outer unless serious mods were made. Decided at that point to check the fit of the hood, radiator support and grill surround. Good thing I checked, the hood gaps and grill surround fit was so bad I deemed the repop fenders unusable. Looking for originals now. You might want to mock up the rest of the front clip before proceed then decide.......

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I've always found the best way to get inner fenders to fit was to install the inner/outer fender loosely together around the wheel well off the vehicle, get all the bolts started just short of hand tight, then install them together as one unit.

However, sometimes with aftermarket stuff, they just don't fit without some persuasion.

I remember when I installed my repop inners the DS fit pretty well and the PS refused to line up with the core support without a lot of persuasion.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
shoveldug

It's a struggle with aftermarket parts! You can make it work with some work.