The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
brodon

Door hinge problem that appears to be unusual.

The threaded "plate" behind the opening of the door hinge with the holes/threads that secures/treads the bolt, came loose and has dropped to the bottom, inside the door with no way to get to it. i.e. nothing to tighten the door hinge to on the cab.

It's in private storage to I don't have access to a welder.

Evidently no one has experienced this before, since I've spoken to several auto body folks with no idea of what to do.

Would anyone have something I can try to get my drivers side door on my '67 so I can proceed from there.

Thank you,
Don
brodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Door hinge problem that appears to be unusual.

If you want something temporary you could try well nuts.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
AussieinNC

If the piece has dropped into the door, you can retrieve it by removing the door panel and fishing it out...see pic for what it looks like....

If the piece you mention is inside the pillar you can make up a new threaded section and cut a slot in the pillar to replace it....drill some small holes in the outer skin of the pillar and tack weld it in place....
Attached Images

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
If the piece has dropped into the door, you can retrieve it by removing the door panel and fishing it out...see pic for what it looks like....

If the piece you mention is inside the pillar you can make up a new threaded section and cut a slot in the pillar to replace it....drill some small holes in the outer skin of the pillar and tack weld it in place....
All that holds it to the door shell when the hinges are not bolted to it are those small spot welds. Sounds like yours broke loose from the shell. You should be able to get it in place from inside the door and use the hinge bolts to lock it down.

You should be able to feel where the spot welds held it in place and locate it appropriately. Run the bolts down to clamp it tight then install a couple flat head crews or rivets to lock it down there. You should be able to put the hinge back on after that. Once the bolts are torqued down they won't let it move around.

When you get it home you can weld the plate to the door if you feel you need to.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #5
BigBird05

If you need to replace the plate let me know I have a scrap door or I can get a plate for the A piller from a donor that I know of.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:35 PM   #6
1mrtimk

Did you ever retrieve the backing plate?
1mrtimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:29 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

There are several threads out there about this problem. So don't feel too bad you are not alone. Do a search using the box above.
Here is one thread from a search. Scroll down and you can see what they did to fix the problem. It also shows the where your missing plate is likely to be found.
Good luck

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=438045&page=5
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote