The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #3776
idbeast

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Got the repop bumper mounts reworked, and got the rear bumber installed and adjusted. Then drilled and installed the license plate bracket!
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #3777
oldman3

Looks good...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:07 AM   #3778
DransportGarage

I've been making some progress lately. Both doors are mounted, with latches, gaskets and looms. (Special thanks to Ogre for the loom design.) Right now the gaskets don't seal at the leading edge of the door. Can't think of much I can do about it. I still need to put a dab of weatherstrip here and there. (How do you guys/gals like my homemade door installer fixture on my floor jack?)

I tried to put the windshield in last week, first with a friend of mine, then with a pro. Both attempts failed, and the pro thinks the gasket is too hard. To check the fit, we then put the glass in place without the gasket. The fit wasn't great, but the pro thinks he can get it in with a softer gasket. He now has a Precision brand gasket and he just needs to get back over here. We'll see how it goes.
Attached Images

Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)

Last edited by DransportGarage; 09-21-2019 at 03:06 PM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #3779
Dan in Pasadena

Got Baby out to blow out the garage. Decided to "wash" her - which for me is a soaking wet new microfiber towel to loosen/pickup the dust, then wipe dry with another brand new microfiber towel. Seems to work fine and leaves NO scratches.

Waxed her with Collinite 845 Insulator Wax (Thanks to Black Sheep/Mark, for the referral!)

Took her to gas up and got almost 20 gallons in it. I thought I bought an 18 gal. tank from Tanks Inc!

Then to the local bike shop for roadie inner tubes I use to cover my tailgate chains until I get some proper covers made to match my interior. A quick cruise of Colorado Blvd to show her off to the afternoon's shoppers and got a few thumbs up. Finally to Sierra Madre - a small village area - for a slice of pizza and home to the garage.

Took a couple pics. The stance is flat wrong...as in too flat. It used to be lower in front. I raised it which ruined the stance. I've decided to raise the front til the top of the tire is barely visible THEN raise the rear 1" using blocks and longer U bolts. As is, the tire hits when backing out of my driveway. Comments welcome.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #3780
Johns327

Dan your truck is a beauty.
Everybody seems to want lower, so down they go, but you can end up flat. I’m with you a little rake is needed.
What about taking that adjustment you did to the front end out?
John
Old 09-21-2019, 09:22 PM   #3781
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Got Baby out to blow out the garage. Decided to "wash" her - which for me is a soaking wet new microfiber towel to loosen/pickup the dust, then wipe dry with another brand new microfiber towel. Seems to work fine and leaves NO scratches.

Waxed her with Collinite 845 Insulator Wax (Thanks to Black Sheep/Mark, for the referral!)
I'm glad you liked the 845 Dan. Your truck looks great as always...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #3782
Black_Sheep

I gave the '58 a thorough clean up to get it ready for the Withrow Car and Antique Tractor Show tomorrow. Withrow is a small rural town about a half hour away via 2 lane backroads, it should be a really nice early morning cruise. A bunch of us are meeting at the Kwik Trip to caravan there together, hopefully we'll get to Sal's Bar early enough to get a good parking spot and hit the breakfast buffet before it gets too crowded. The cruising season is winding down so it's great to get the gang together and have some fun...
Attached Images

Last edited by Black_Sheep; 09-21-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:51 PM   #3783
DransportGarage

Quote:

Took her to gas up and got almost 20 gallons in it. I thought I bought an 18 gal. tank from Tanks Inc!

Then to the local bike shop for roadie inner tubes I use to cover my tailgate chains until I get some proper covers made to match my interior. A quick cruise of Colorado Blvd to show her off to the afternoon's shoppers and got a few thumbs up. Finally to Sierra Madre - a small village area - for a slice of pizza and home to the garage.

Took a couple pics. The stance is flat wrong...as in too flat. It used to be lower in front. I raised it which ruined the stance. I've decided to raise the front til the top of the tire is barely visible THEN raise the rear 1" using blocks and longer U bolts. As is, the tire hits when backing out of my driveway. Comments welcome.
I agree that the back could be a little higher than the front. What a nice truck!!
Old 09-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #3784
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
I gave the '58 a thorough clean up to get it ready for the Withrow Car and Antique Tractor Show tomorrow. Withrow is a small rural town about a half hour away via 2 lane backroads, it should be a really nice early morning cruise. A bunch of us are meeting at the Kwik Trip to caravan there together, hopefully we'll get to Sal's Bar early enough to get a good parking spot and hit the breakfast buffet before it gets too crowded. The cruising season is winding down so it's great to get the gang together and have some fun...
Have a good time and an extra pancake for me! Please post photos of all the nice vehicles.

The Collinite is REALLY nice and easy to use. Reminds me of “Harley Wax” I used to use. That worked great too but it’s just plain carnuba and doesn’t last like the Collinite.

Bob, Thanks for the suggestion and the kind words. Best, Dan

Old 09-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #3785
Tempest67

Hey Dransport Garage,.......... Nice GTO
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #3786
57tailgater

Quote:

In my sight, I agree with you on the stance but there will be a lot who like it as it is. I have been studying this lately for eventual use on my truck and I think the top of the front tire is even with opening. Truck has to have a rake. Then adjust the rear to be maybe about 2/3's up the rear sidewall. But I also like a taller profile tire as well (i.e. 70's) Here are a couple of examples I like. But this is MY opinion and it's YOUR truck.
Attached Images

57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #3787
MARTINSR

That is perfection Tailgater!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #3788
Dan in Pasadena

57TG, I appreciate the opinion and I agree. For me (only) cars have to have a mild rake. NOT a “kicked-in-the-butt” look, just a little higher in the rear. I too prefer taller sidewall tires. Bedsides, they ride nicer.

I had to go 17” tires or the rims will not clear the Corvette rotors in front. I COULD use 16” though the selection of rims isn’t big and neither the tire size selections. When I replace these rims I’ll try for 60 series tires on them too.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #3789
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
Hey Dransport Garage,.......... Nice GTO
Thanks, Tempest67. As you know, I wouldn't have posted if you hadn't. Thanks for that too! That pic was from a big Columbus All Pontiac show. We took Best of Show. (...and now the wife will chew me out for bragging -- again.)
Old 09-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #3790
oldman3

Hey guys if you haven't voted yet, please vote for MiraclePieCo. entry #1 for his panel, thanks..Jim
Old 09-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #3791
nvrdone

I would have voted for miraclepieco anyway with out the "reminder".
but it looks like its for sale on the Portland craigslist. or an exact copy...
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #3792
Black_Sheep

Thanks for the heads up Jim

Had a great time in Withrow yesterday...
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2019, 11:12 PM   #3793
oldman3

Nice pics Mark. The Dart reminds me of my 69 Dart GTS...Jim
Old 09-24-2019, 05:06 AM   #3794
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Hey guys if you haven't voted yet, please vote for MiraclePieCo. entry #1 for his panel, thanks..Jim
Wow, thanks for that boost Jim! The check I promised you is in the mail ;-)

What an honor - TOTM would be beyond my wildest dreams!

We're considering buying a house. I thought of selling my truck to get funds for a down payment, but have since changed my mind and taken down the ads. After all, what good is the garage unless I have my truck in it?

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 09-24-2019 at 05:34 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #3795
nvrdone

I understand that. ive thought of selling my truck many times in the 47 years ive had it, but fortunately my wife wont let that happen. she's a keeper - I mean my wife !!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #3796
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Wow, thanks for that boost Jim! The check I promised you is in the mail ;-)

What an honor - TOTM would be beyond my wildest dreams!

We're considering buying a house. I thought of selling my truck to get funds for a down payment, but have since changed my mind and taken down the ads. After all, what good is the garage unless I have my truck in it?
I sold my '59 Rambler and my '65 Buick Gran Sport for my move to Idaho. The truck, it's in my garage and awaiting the start of my five minute a day plan, hopefully soon!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #3797
dsraven

hey Brian, hate to say but you just spent your 5 minutes by writing that, haha.
I am just as bad. gotta see what "the boys", as the wife says, are doing today.
ok, going to pull broken off spark plugs from a ford triton. yeehaw.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #3798
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Nice pics Mark. The Dart reminds me of my 69 Dart GTS...Jim
That's my brother in law's 340 Swinger. It's stroked to 418 and pushing almost 500 horse. It's quick as well as good looking...
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2019, 09:36 PM   #3799
Dan in Pasadena

When I was in high school (‘68-‘72 , yeah I’m old, DAMN!) my older brother in law had a copper metallic 340 ‘69 Dart with some nice glass packs on it. To me, it was a rocket! I took it to school one day to adjust the headlights and I’ve always wondered why he didn’t say anything when I brought it home smelling of burned rubber?!

Old 09-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #3800
Dan in Pasadena

When I was in high school (‘68-‘72 , yeah I’m old, DAMN!) my older brother in law had a copper metallic 340 ‘69 Dart with some nice glass packs on it. To me, it was a rocket! I took it to school one day to adjust the headlights and I’ve always wondered why he didn’t say anything when I brought it home smelling of burned rubber?!