The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2019, 08:05 PM   #1
Big Blue

fuel door

Has any one ever installed a fuel DOOR onto a bed side. What I want to do is install a fuel door onto a bed that does NOT have one. That would be the inside as well. I have the donor bed, just need to CUT OUT the fuel door and weld it onto the NEW bed.
Vids would be nice if you got any. Thanks John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: fuel door

its been done one of the upstate NY fellows took part of my old bedside off to do just that.. im pretty sure he posted about it do a search

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
blazer2007

I put a 2002 ford truck one mine just cut it out and weld it in
Attached Images

blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
Getter-Done

Here is a good reference thread.
Member Rufas has a good pictures on page 2
at post#54
Link:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d+in+fuel+door

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
hatzie

I can see doing this to add dual saddle tanks.
If you're mounting the tank in the back like the guys in the linked thread... can't you notch and reinforce any cross frame member that's in the way and use the fold down license plate mount from the 70's GM cars?
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
Big Blue

Just added information, This is my project truck (trazer) see my signature. What I am using is a blazer frame. Keeping the fuel tank where it is but I am going to put a bed on it. Because of the different types of frames "truck vs blazer" I have to cut the floor out and raise it up in order for the body lines to match the cab. This is where to fuel door comes into play. I have to relocate it, so I want to put in a fuel door. Confused yet, I am.

Thanks John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #7
Pontiac1976

what ever donner truck you get the door off grab the upper plastic filler mount, steel filler neck and hard ware. Then you should be gold.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
CSHADES

I did it on the passenger side. it was in my thread "rebuilding my 1977 plow truck" I recommend measuring the donor box for location and cutting out a large area from the donor. Cut as required, the smaller amount of welding you can get away with the better. remember to seal and paint the back side of welded area when finished.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #9
Big Blue

Thanks everyone for responding to my question. Keep the information coming, it will not be wasted.

John