The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2018, 11:44 PM   #1
davee60

Ecklers trucks headliner kit

Has anyone used the Suburban headliner kit from Ecklers trucks? The description on their website is a bit confusing, and led me to believe it was just for the 60-66 trucks. But I checked with them, and it indeed comes with 5 bows, so apparently it is for a Suburban. Just wondered if anyone out there has tried it. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
MusicMan70

Re: Ecklers trucks headliner kit

No photos on website yet, but here is the information listed for 60-66 Suburbans @ $250

Replacment Headliner
High Quality Hampton Perforated Vinyl Headliner Material
Fits Suburban Without Factory Headliner
Bows Fasten To Front Of Beams
Headliner Is 76" Wide,
This Chevrolet Truck headliner is a high quality product following the factory design, and sewing pattern.

NOTE: None of these Suburban's came factory equipped with bow supported headliners. Early year models mostly had cardboard panels over the driver's area only. In later years, Mid 1950's and up, was the introduction of a Suburban with a series of cardbaord panels (usually five), mounted between exposed polished, chrome bows which are no longer available. Suburban headliners are bow suspended. Seams in the headliner match the front of the metal beams, where the headliner is attached to as means of support. (Some drilling required). For models prior to 1955, a separate headboard panel (panel between headliner and windshield), should be cut by installer to allow front of headlner to finish at the same height as the rear section. Professional installation is suggested however, no special tools are required for installation. For Bow Suspended Headliners please allow room between the headliner and roof for heavy insulation.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
davee60

I had a good discussion with one of the Eckler's sales reps, so I think I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I'll just have to wing it as far as the color and materials, they didn't even have photos or samples of the fabric. If it doesn't look right, I'll just return it. I'll post my experience with it either way.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
VictoriaHardware

Here is an original sample from a '66 Chevrolet Carryall. I believe it is some type of vinyl facing. The random fibrous pattern is called "Haircell". It is perforated with small round holes every 2". The color is close to the Fawn elsewhere in the interior. The last photo shows it next to the door panel. It may be slightly more silver.

The back side is a fabric mat, maybe wool. It was glued to the ceiling with a black adhesive, maybe an asphalt based stuff.

It is about 3/32" thick.

I have never been able to find identical material anywhere.
Attached Images

VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
AJCK87

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaHardware View Post
Here is an original sample from a '66 Chevrolet Carryall. I believe it is some type of vinyl facing. The random fibrous pattern is called "Haircell". It is perforated with small round holes every 2". The color is close to the Fawn elsewhere in the interior. The last photo shows it next to the door panel. It may be slightly more silver.

The back side is a fabric mat, maybe wool. It was glued to the ceiling with a black adhesive, maybe an asphalt based stuff.

It is about 3/32" thick.

I have never been able to find identical material anywhere.
The headliner in my panel looks to be that stuff. It needs to be replaced but I was apprehensive as a it looked suspicious... I am concerned about asbestos. Does anyone know if the old headliner material contains asbestos or not?
AJCK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
davee60

Thanks for the replies. I'm not trying to match anything factory, my project is a restomod anyway. But Ecklers has no photos of the product, nor any images of the material types and colors offered, so it's tough to know exactly what I'd be getting if I ordered one.

Here are a couple of pics, I don't think I had posted any before. Not quite "done" but I can finally drive it around! The "bed wood" is Trex composite decking.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
VictoriaHardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee60 View Post
The description on their website is a bit confusing,...Ecklers has no photos of the product, nor any images of the material types and colors offered, so it's tough to know exactly what I'd be getting if I ordered one.
Sounds like they are not that interested in selling them. I just don't understand these "businesses" that do such poor marketing, and somehow expect you to just send them money and cross your fingers.
VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:10 PM   #8
KIC
1960 GMC Burb

That looks like my 60 Burb except mine is silver..i'll post a picture on a piece of mine soon. I hope this is a good lead on original style. I have been looking all around..

60 Burb Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1960+Suburban

60 to 66 Burbs only Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=burbs
2003 Tahoe LT
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #9
MusicMan70

Here is link from the 67-72 Suburban Folks and what some have done. Maybe put some insulation or Fat Mat deadener up top as suggested, and use these FRP panels. Paint to suit...?

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=410459
Old 07-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #10
KIC
1960 GMC Burb

So do they have it for the earlier models ? Mine is silver ..
Attached Images

60 to 66 Burbs only Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=burbs
2003 Tahoe LT
Old 08-28-2018, 11:10 PM   #11
davee60

Update - I was able to get some material samples, so I went ahead and ordered one of these headliner kits. It's a bow-supported fabric headliner according to the sales rep, and comes with 5 bows that attach to the front of the roof supports. I selected the Hampton non-perforated vinyl fabric. I'll post my experience with this kit once I get it installed. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #12
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Definitely interested to see what you get and how it looks installed.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #13
KIC
1960 GMC Burb

Hoping that it works ... following

2003 Tahoe LT
Old 09-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #14
davee60

Update - I received the headliner kit, unfortunately it is the PERFORATED Hampton vinyl, instead of the NON-PERFORATED vinyl. They are working on getting the order corrected. Sorry for the delay, I'll post more as I go along...
Old 09-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #15
Subdude59

I’m wanting the perforated version Suburban headliner. Can you take a picture and post it before returning it? Might be helpful to those of us looking to by the perforated version. Thanks.
Subdude59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #16
davee60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdude59 View Post
I’m wanting the perforated version Suburban headliner. Can you take a picture and post it before returning it? Might be helpful to those of us looking to by the perforated version. Thanks.
Well, I didn't want to unpack the whole thing before sending it back, but here is the pic that I sent them... The label on the outside said "Perforated", so I knew not to go to the trouble of unpacking the entire headliner, since it was going back anyway.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #17
Subdude59

Thanks! This pic is very helpful. I’m having my 66 K14 Burb restored and I’m wanting these panels to look like the originals.
Subdude59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #18
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdude59 View Post
Thanks! This pic is very helpful. I’m having my 66 K14 Burb restored and I’m wanting these panels to look like the originals.
This kit won't look anything like an original Suburban headliner. This installs with bows like most 60's-70's cars. Read the description in their ad
https://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-...1960-1966.html

It would probably look fine but not like the original. I haven't seen anyone that makes a perforated vinyl with the backing like the original.

If I ever get to the headliner on my suburban I will buy perforated vinyl and glue it to a thin closed cell foam.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:46 PM   #19
davee60

Update: Well so far I STILL do not have the correct headliner! They are drop shipped from the manufacturer, and I have received 2 incorrect ones so far. Still working with Ecklers to get the right one. I'll keep you posted...
Old 11-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #20
64k10burb

I didn't even see the hole/no hole option. I hope this works out for you, I'll be happy to order a $250 kit and not have to figure out how to make something.
1964 k10 suburban project
1947 Dodge chop top rescue project
64k10burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:42 AM   #21
davee60

Update: STILL waiting for the correct headliner! Supposedly their part numbers were screwed up, which messed up the ordering from the vendor. Finally one of Eckler's tech support guys got involved... I should be receiving "something" in another week or so. We'll see, I'll keep you informed...

Dave
Old 05-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #22
Llay R. Rac

any update on the fabric?
today i removed the wood paneling that i have had over my original headliner for almost 30 years. the original headliner is in better shape then i expected. But i glued insulation to it, so i have blobs of panel adhesive and some other glues on the surface, along with some water damage from a few holes in the roof. I may be able to save it, but new sure would look better.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #23
cj847

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee60 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm not trying to match anything factory, my project is a restomod anyway. But Ecklers has no photos of the product, nor any images of the material types and colors offered, so it's tough to know exactly what I'd be getting if I ordered one.

Here are a couple of pics, I don't think I had posted any before. Not quite "done" but I can finally drive it around! The "bed wood" is Trex composite decking.
Dave,
What is the color code and type of paint on your truck? It looks killer. Thanks.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:49 PM   #24
davee60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llay R. Rac View Post
any update on the fabric?
today i removed the wood paneling that i have had over my original headliner for almost 30 years. the original headliner is in better shape then i expected. But i glued insulation to it, so i have blobs of panel adhesive and some other glues on the surface, along with some water damage from a few holes in the roof. I may be able to save it, but new sure would look better.
Sorry I haven't been keeping you all informed but I did get what appears to be the correct headliner kit. The fabric is vinyl and the color is "medium opal". I need to take it to the upholstery guy that I work with and lay the whole thing out and see how it goes. I may not get to it for a few weeks though so I apologize but I will get back to this thread when I have more to offer. Stay tuned... Thanks.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:55 PM   #25
davee60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
Dave,
What is the color code and type of paint on your truck? It looks killer. Thanks.
If I remember correctly, the paint brand is Spectra. The code I have written on the spray-out sample is GS720IR. It's not a factory color. Thanks for the compliment, I do get a lot of positive remarks about it.