The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
2 Stovebolts

Destroyed Dashes for Radio's- Breaker One/Nine

Here's my C30 Dump Truck dash.....after the removal of the worthless trash that some high IQ inventor installed....A piggy back CB on top of a cheap AM/FM cassette....Can you imagine driving down the road trying to listen to the garbage coming out of that CB & radio??? I can barely think over the sound of the engine & road noise....Another mess I have to undo....Contrary to medical beliefs there are some humans born with no brains......
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Destroyed Dashes for Radio's- Breaker One/Nine

He was probably really proud of what he had accomplished, too. Sometimes it's hard to have foresight.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
67C10Step

My 67 had the CB mic located lower and to the left of the key switch and appears to have had the CB mounted under the dash. Looking at your dash those four holes don't aggravate me so much now.

Mine still has the stock AM radio but it had some funky add on speaker screwed to the roof above the rear view mirror. Two more holes to fill.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
Old 09-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
toolboxchev

You may be aggravated by that yet I shall advise. There are many more adventures coming your way.

Most likely you did not buy that rig because you did not want a challenge. These trucks were born when Men were Really Men.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
siggyfreud

Bummer, but not like it was a mystery you just uncovered .
Old 09-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
2 Stovebolts

I have a laundry list that I'm excited to share...this poor truck, and how ignorance can prevail....I was a teenager when these trucks were new, and as anyone can imagine how sweet they were...They gotta be the best of an era for all the abuse they took and survive like this one did.....This is the sweetest running truck despite the neglect & abuse...Just wish I had the for-site to buy it new, or in the first 5 years.....but having this is better than having none at all...slowly she's regaining her dignity.....
Old 09-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

When the Previous Owner sawed that dash back in the mid 1970s for his CB radio, he had no idea that 45 years later the truck would be still running and the new owner would be cursing his name for doing it! These trucks remaining today are the last of their kind, and we must undo the PO's malfunctions of yesteryear.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
Old 09-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #8
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stovebolts View Post
..slowly she's regaining her dignity.....
Keep up the good work! Whether it takes months or years to fix up that truck, she will pay you back tenfold in loyalty, dependability, and low maintenance. Plus as long as you own one of these trucks, you will never say "I'm bored".
Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 PM   #9
cornerstone

I'd love to see more pictures of your dump truck.... I'd also like to own one someday but for the moment, pictures of yours will do.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #10
2 Stovebolts

The previous owner?? Remember back in the day, there was no such thing as battery operated 'saws alls' I'll bet, the good ole boy worked up a good sweat... While we're on the subject of this boy wonder...I'll explain the following pics...This chapter only pertains to the alternator....Now you ask...how something so simple can get derailed? - Somewhere along the way the alternator failed....so a trip to a 'pick & pull' or junk yard netted a typical used GM alternator...Upon attempted installation it was discovered it did not line up with the water pump pulley....So he removed the lower cast iron alternator bracket and hacked the end off to bring the alternator forward. He took care of the remaining slop with bolts & washers...and by the way it still did not line up correctly...While undoing that mess I discovered the water pump pulley had a 'FORD' oval on it and the spacer was to long causing the rake on the new single core radiator....Parts availability??? as you know its not like going to Auto Zone to get what was destroyed...A local electrical shop provided the correct alternator pulley...The bracket was not easy to get...then the W/P pulley. The replacement radiator was easy... replaced it with a 3 core....So that's the saga on the alternator and no - the radiator did not leak, believe it or not....probably because it was rather new.....Anybody interested in a used radiator???....More to follow....
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #11
Warrens69GMC

The way we bought it
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #12
Boog
laying low

Pull the sheet over that one Warren.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Old 09-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #13
Chevyland

Quote:
Here's my C30 Dump Truck dash.....after the removal of the worthless trash that some high IQ inventor installed....A piggy back CB on top of a cheap AM/FM cassette....Can you imagine driving down the road trying to listen to the garbage coming out of that CB & radio??? I can barely think over the sound of the engine & road noise....Another mess I have to undo....Contrary to medical beliefs there are some humans born with no brains......
Here is your solution

Behind that shiny piece of metal with shiny screws
Is a gapping hole just like yours
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #14
Chevyland

And the Cheyenne Super
Version
Of
Redneck-whack a dash
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #15
Chevyland

With, custom
Rattle-can-Black
Paint job
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #16
Warrens69GMC

We did the same and then I painted it black to match the dash pad. It looked good. You can see the 4 holes in the corners of the rectangle that is original body color.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:59 PM   #17
2 Stovebolts

Actually replacing the dash is not that all of a nightmare....I removed a dash from a truck that was being scrapped....Once the dash pad is removed there's a series of slots, I cut in between the slots, and unbolted the sides and the dash came out...Obviously the cluster, glove box, and all center items have to be removed before hand.....Once you replace the sectioned dash all the sin is covered by the dash pad....Nice jobs on the repairs though....
Old 09-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

I wouldn't be bashing a person's actions of one era from another era's perspective. For all you know, if you had the foresight to buy one 30 years ago, it might have been you who cut the dash or did some other form of alteration with no regard for the future restoration fanatic. I did have that foresight and have owned these trucks all along. I did what I wanted the who way through, just like now we have people replacing just about every piece, and altering the rest, to have a modern truck that looks like a 67-72. Check today's date for list of currently approved forms of changing one of these trucks to the general public's approval. Put a '59 Impala dash in and you get "I love it!". I've seen it evolve over and over. In fact, I remember back when I first joined there was one member who posted against Bozos with Sawzalls hacking dashes for radios and he got razzed by the masses for it... because most guys were hacking their dashes. The issue is so common there are re[air panels made just for that.

Oh, and before cordless Sawzalls there were corded Sawzalls. The only added effort would be running a chord. Balance that out with the inconvenience of plugging in a charger and waiting for a full charge when you can saw all day with the corded and that's pretty much a wash. But back then most used jig saws and mostly plumbers had Milwaukee Sawzalls before anyone else made them. Milwaukee tools were only sold at limited contractor supply houses. Time changes everything

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #19
67C10Step

To add what special K said was I remember the 1970's in very rural Arkansas. You did what you had to do with the little you had on hand to keep above water. I posted the other day about finding all the wood screw "repairs" on my truck. While it's aggravating from my perspective I understand the mindset of the person that did it. It's just an old truck, I don't have time or resources to fix it right, oh, this wood screw will hold just fine.

I am trying to just include it as part of the adventure and challenge.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
Old 09-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #20
kidatheart

I agree with the simple fact that times change. I can remember when the first thing I did when I got a pickup was to bolt a CB radio to the roof of the truck and run cables to dual antennas.
I have a 79 that I have had for 20 years. Shortly after I got it I cut the dash and put a great stereo in. Now the radio is junk and the dash has to be repaired. But I don’t regret it-the kids and I had so much fun cruising and listening to that radio. Sure, if I had known then what I know now....
So I guess I can get on the list to get bashed!!
I’m just thankful to have lived in such a great era for vehicles. Thankfully I am pretty handy with a wrench and paint gun!!
Old 09-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #21
palallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA View Post
When the Previous Owner sawed that dash back in the mid 1970s for his CB radio, he had no idea that 45 years later the truck would be still running and the new owner would be cursing his name for doing it! These trucks remaining today are the last of their kind, and we must undo the PO's malfunctions of yesteryear.
AND avoid making ones of our own
Old 09-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #22
2 Stovebolts

Special K - Many a truth in ones character is expressed in his thoughts & words..... Feast your eyes on my original 72 GTO survivor that I bought new....complete with its factory AM radio and factory 8 track player. This car too, went through the same era as my 70 C30 and some how survived any molestation that I may have inflicted according to your first few sentences.....Thus dispelling your theory of what I would have done 45 years ago. I had no inspiration in dragging out the extension cord with the jig saw. I respect your appreciation for one's customizing talents and your knowledge of power tools....We all have our standards and molesting vehicles along with every thing else, is not one of them.....and further more, with your reference of a 'restoration fanatic'... wrong again...I use the truck for its intended purpose.....Perhaps you should learn facts before passing judgement.....
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #23
Warrens69GMC

Quote:
....snip....
Special K wasn't referencing you specifically, he was referring to us as a collection of fanatics who were trying to undo the many years of modifications.

Your GTO is truly a survivor, and there aren't many vehicles out there that are in true stock form anymore.

I applaud you using your truck for its intended purpose, our 69 GMC will not be used as a workhorse again, just a cruiser when completed.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #24
2 Stovebolts

if you had the foresight to buy one 30 years ago, it might have been you who cut the dash or did some other form of alteration with no regard for the future restoration fanatic.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #25
71gmcC15

That's why I'm so glad to have an uncut dash.
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
Closed Thread