The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
OKGMC4

Why bear claw latches?

I have no experience with these but it seems to be a common addition. Keep in mind my truck came with the doors sitting in the bed and I've never seen them latch. Are the stock latches really that bad, or do you have to have the bear claws to use things like electric lock and door poppers? Will someone give a good explanation for this without the "boy you're stupid" that I'm sure I deserve for asking. Also, I have a set of complete 70 Chevelle doors...could I just cut out those lock mechanisms and transplant them for the same effect while saving $100? Thanks in advance!

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Why bear claw latches?

The original style are notorius for letting the door pop open, especially when the hinge pin gets worn. If you look all that is holding the door closed is a cammed lever behind ramped plate. when everythings gets worn the door can bounce up and down and release. First thing I did in 76 when I got mine was install seat belts and child seat restraint. Never lost a kid but did loose a nice screwdriver and other tools that were laying on the floor when the door flew open going around a corner.

Having said all that I'm not ambitious enough to install the bear claw which completely wraps around the locking lug. I did get all new door latch hardware and rebuilt my hinges so I figure it should be good for the remaining 25 years I have left to drive then it will be one of my great grandkids problem.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
mylow53

i was palming a right hand turn sitting in new jeans and a freshly armor all-ed bench seat (no seat belt it was 1984!!) when at 20 mph the drivers door opened. i went out the door and caught the stearing wheel on the way out with my right hand. i ended up completing the corner while standing on the running board... yes these doors can open when you least expect it!!! that being said i currently am running the original latches and have installed 3 point belts!
GT
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
57 3100

i too am researching the bear claw latches.
my door latches, that are only about 4 years old, are a real pain to get the door closed.
does anyone know if i should get the small or large bear claw latches for my 57 ?
some guys say use the large, some guys say small. does it really matter ?
i will be using the original inside and outside door handles.
thanks

leonard
57 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

still think these are good. A little pricy but on a finished truck like mine the money saved in repainting seems to work out. Plus they are vehicle specfic kits.

http://triquemfg.blogspot.com/2010/0...atch-kits.html

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

I'm reseaching them too, Kabwe just did his with AutoLoc. I also read somewhere that someone said he used a soft top Jeep door lock, I don't know what the model was but it was heavy duty.

Tri5
Old 05-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
scotts62
One day...

I know its a different year but i put bear claw latches in my 62 and thats the way to go, i had my door fly open on a turn too and talk about gripping the seat and pulling cotton out later! Now that will scare you!

I got mine at the local Rod and Custom show that comes to town every year, if i remember right the brand was Autoloc, they came with the weld in plates and all and they work good with door poppers.

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Thadious

I pulled a set of YJ soft door locks from a wrecking yard in Oregon. Basically pretty much the same as the Autolocs and meet the maximum space requirement of 3/4" thick to go between the side of the door and the window channel. I bent up a pair of brackets from 18 ga steel and used the cover plate off my kids YJ for a cutout template.

The one thing that I found that you will have to consider with the soft doors is that (atleast my set anyways) has no provision for locking the latch. Two levers with only the capability to unlock the latch, nothing else. I decided to go with door poppers and shave the handles, so this wasn't an issue. If you decide to go with 52-53 door handles, they are lockable from the outside (if you buy the repop set that replaces the drivers button with a lockable one). However you will have to do some mods to change the push button to a lever action (was toying with this myself using pieces from a PT cruiser handle).

Cheers,
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
56ClassicTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGMC4 View Post
I have no experience with these but it seems to be a common addition. Keep in mind my truck came with the doors sitting in the bed and I've never seen them latch. Are the stock latches really that bad, or do you have to have the bear claws to use things like electric lock and door poppers? Will someone give a good explanation for this without the "boy you're stupid" that I'm sure I deserve for asking. Also, I have a set of complete 70 Chevelle doors...could I just cut out those lock mechanisms and transplant them for the same effect while saving $100? Thanks in advance!
Hi OKGMC4, I am in the same predicament as you I was wondering if I can use the latches of the 94 Buick am using as a donner.
56ClassicTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
The original style are notorius for letting the door pop open, especially when the hinge pin gets worn. If you look all that is holding the door closed is a cammed lever behind ramped plate. when everythings gets worn the door can bounce up and down and release. First thing I did in 76 when I got mine was install seat belts and child seat restraint. Never lost a kid but did loose a nice screwdriver and other tools that were laying on the floor when the door flew open going around a corner.
I owned a '49 years ago and while rounding a corner the passenger door flew open with my 6 year old son was hanging on for dear life. I highly recommend repairing or replacing the latch mechanisms.

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

When looking at my Autoloc kit and my doors, from a '51, they actually fit almost perfectly in the stock location. Don't get me wrong here, I will still have some cutting and welding of the installation kit but I will only need to use a small amount of the installation plate. The locks themselves clear the window channel just fine.

Originally I installed the latches in my '53 doors just to test the installation process. Good thing I did that on my crappy doors first because I learned a lot but this is very do able.

I have the large, locking, double bear claw latches. (the kind with two latches, one on bottom and one on top) Here is a link to the units I have: http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...c=bearclawdoor

Here is a link to a how-to on these units, but not into our trucks: http://files.thehoffmangroup.com/art...lawinstall.pdf

I will try and get some pics of my install and I move forward... but it might be a week or more because I am going to get my knee scoped on Wednesday!
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
alden

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourageguy View Post
still think these are good. A little pricy but on a finished truck like mine the money saved in repainting seems to work out. Plus they are vehicle specfic kits.

http://triquemfg.blogspot.com/2010/0...atch-kits.html
It seems like those are only made for the 54 and earlier doors, do they make a 55-59 kit?
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
57 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by alden View Post
It seems like those are only made for the 54 and earlier doors, do they make a 55-59 kit?
yep, they sure do...
http://www.triquemfg.com/1955-59_chevy_trucks.php

leonard
57 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
smittster

I ordered the Altman latches from truquemfg.com and they will be here this week. They
are bolt on but require some cutting of the door. I will be putting this on my 1950 GMC.
I also have a set of door hinge repair kits with oversize pins that I will have done at the
same time. My drivers side door does not open or shut very well and when I get it shut and latched tight I leave it and just use the passenger door to get in and out.
smittster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #15
floridasteve

This is a no brainer if you have driven an old truck for some time. At one point or another they are going to open on you. Always when you least expect it and usually around a corner. I am no great fabricator but did my own and the door handle mechanism even lined up perfect. Well worth the investment. Cheaper than losing a passenger or having your truck drive off without you. I have install pics somewhere, will look to post
Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

You haven't lived until you have driven one of these old trucks in a snowstorm with a door that will not latch due to ice. First, the economy heater doesn't work that great and second the best way to hold the door shut is to hang your arm out the window.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #17
mr48chev

Unless it has to be a spot on 100% perfect as original restoration I would not run the stock latches on any of my rigs nor will I sell one to someone else that I built with stock latches.

My wife actually fell out of the truck when she was leaning against the door and we turned the corner at low speed. Before that time she had a bad habit of sitting in the seat sideways and leaning back against the door when you went down the road in a vehicle. She still has some scars on her cheek and knee 32 years later.
It isn't fun to see the one you love going out the door backwards tailfeathers over tea kettle.

Just after I got my truck I did the same stunt in the same manner that Mylow53 did. If I hadn't had the window open and my arm ut the window I would have been on the ground that time. I replaced the strikers the same day but they tend to wear pretty quickly if the doors aren't all adjusted perfectly.

I have Kenworth truck latches in the 48. They used to be under ten bucks each new but do take some doing to mount. I'll probably use something different this time to get some that are easier to mount and hook linkage to though.

Last edited by mr48chev; 05-20-2010 at 12:35 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote