The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #26
Gromit

Re: Stainless steel rocker panels

I like this stuff - believe it is a mixture of a paraffin or wax based substance and a solvent - so it flows into any crevices and blocks off the oxygen to help stop the rust from continuing or getting worse anyway

Available at Home Depot so that helps...

And it has a straw on the aerosol so you can spray it into tight spaces

Probably need to renew it once a year or so

I'm with the guys above who mention galvanic corrosion as being the major issue - after all we know that with a more noble metal like stainless fastened to a less noble metal like carbon steel - the problem is at the interface (weld or rivet)..

But Also as we know from plumbing pipes - if you make the connection gradual, for example by going from stainless to brass and THEN to carbon steel; the galvanic potential is less at each transition and will be less of a problem - though whether or not this is sufficient is beyond my skills to say.

Good idea though; and it is nice to see people willing to contribute ideas to start the discussion. I also like the ideas above of concentrating on eliminating any blind cavities in areas of steel panels exposed to salt spray.. that might alone just be enough with proper maintenance to turn a five year problem into a fifteen year problem..
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #27
cleszkie

How about a repop rocker panel that is made from the correct heavy gauge steel and not the thin crap? Or better yet, made from a heavier than OEM gauge steel. I think that is much more feasible than a stainless rocker panel, and would stand the test of time if installed and treated properly.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #28
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
the reason why it is not done is the fact of welding two different types of metals is difficult to weld , being SS has very low carbon amounts

it is not that it cant be done but you really have to have good equipment to get good results ,

Tig or brazing would give best results though,

Well there is always the new Ford aluminum body F150

I will say I am not a Ford guy but the paint on those new aluminum body f150 is something to look at , I looked at one at a outdoor show in a dark green and the paint was amazing almost flawless
The Aluminum body of the F150's has *"NOTHING"* TO DO WITH A GOOD PAINT JOB that my friend is whats called a GREAT PAINTER THAT WENT BEYOND THE Call of DUTY. To get a *"FLAT"* Paint Job takes a lot on sanding to flatten down the Clear Coat. You just happened to find that needle in the hay stack of good paint jobs that just happened to be painted by a **ROBOT** not a Human. *"Human Painters"* are the only way to get a good paint job. If there is enough Clear on any thing it will look good.

My Experience comes from working in a Auto Body Collision Center.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #29
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
i actually read Chevrolet is going to be doing the same thing to our chevy and GMC trucks
I don't know where you read that Chevrolet & GMC is going to get the Aluminum treatment also. Chevrolet made that Commercial that KICKED Fords A** when they dropped bricks into both trucks beds and you did see what happened to the Ford bed didn't you well IT SWISS CHEESED the Fords bed. SO why would Chevrolet do it to there own product when they CREAMED Ford SO WELL.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 PM   #30
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell72 View Post
You could use panel bond adhesive like some new cars use.
You would be surprised on how much is used on cars now days.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #31
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck5566 View Post
I don't know where you read that Chevrolet & GMC is going to get the Aluminum treatment also. Chevrolet made that Commercial that KICKED Fords A** when they dropped bricks into both trucks beds and you did see what happened to the Ford bed didn't you well IT SWISS CHEESED the Fords bed. SO why would Chevrolet do it to there own product when they CREAMED Ford SO WELL.
open mouth. insert foot.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/05/g...ucks-aluminum/

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...18-report-says
Old 07-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #32
ck5566
Account Suspended

This is what was needed to prove that in deed Chevy is going to use Alumn. in there trucks. I didn't insert my foot I just got an answer that proves what I didn't know about, Thanks.The answer was great but why was a sarcastic remark needed here, just a proven answer was needed.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

Chevy was looking at this year's 1500 truck sales. When they come out with their aluminum truck they would like you to forget that ad that proved people are stupid if they dump cinder blocks into any truck bed made from any metal without first providing some protection...such as a $15 sheet of plywood (with 2' cut off so it will fit a cute little short bed)

This issue here with rockers, cab corners, and supports is drainage. These are at the bottom and they hold accumulated road grime and dust. It holds moisture against the metal. Add salt to that crud and it really attacks the metal. With better drain holes it is also easier to get a good flush of water up in there and better to drain out. I think holes with plugs in the back side so you can squirt rust prevention of your choice in would be a good not visible thing to do, along with opening up bigger drain holes on the seam

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #34
Dave K.

Who's driving these trucks in road salt? That's the only time I see it relevant. Otherwise install stock steel and prep it well and take care of the truck..... SS is overkill in this application...
Old 07-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #35
davepl

Every time my dad did an oil change he used the old oil to spray into the wheel wells, and sometimes he'd paint it on to the undercarriage.

Cab corners still rusted out! But everything else lasted 30 years...
Old 07-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #36
dmjlambert

Quote:
This is what was needed to prove that in deed Chevy is going to use Alumn. in there trucks. I didn't insert my foot I just got an answer that proves what I didn't know about, Thanks.The answer was great but why was a sarcastic remark needed here, just a proven answer was needed.
I read that differently. I think Willie was saying Chevy put their foot in mouth about the load of bricks commercial when here they are making aluminum trucks.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:14 AM   #37
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I read that differently. I think Willie was saying Chevy put their foot in mouth about the load of bricks commercial when here they are making aluminum trucks.
Yah I think you are right. Chevy is blowing it by having more Aluminum in there trucks, but hay Aluminum is lighter right. If thats so why are they getting so piss pour gas mileage still. The only thing that is doing better is a Diesel not that much better but better. just my .02 cents
Old 07-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #38
mrein3

I like to pre-plan things like a rocker install. By pre-plan I mean figure out where you need to weld. On a rocker you got the bottom lip, a few spots along the top, and a few spots on each end. Put tape in those spots. Then spray epoxy primer on the inside. Remove the tape. Spray bomb weld through primer where the tape was. Cut off old rocker. Weld on new rocker for the last time.

I filleted open an original box side and did this treatment. 100 years from now there is going to be a truck in a yard somewhere with one good box side and a pile of rust dust around it.
Center City, MN
Old 07-31-2016, 02:29 PM   #39
leddzepp

Quote:
Its a shame that people like you need to make a "MOCKERY" out of anything that makes it out to be your the smarter one. In reality every time you post a return to something someone wrote you show your stupidity and that's putting it nicely. Are you trying to get a Audience here or are you that "little boy" that sat in the rear of the classroom making smart/stupid remarks about anything and every thing.

Your comments here are Offensive, Absurd, and Ridiculous!
You resurrected this thread for no reason other than to troll. Don't do it again, first and last warning.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Closed Thread