The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
Emesis

Fuel tank help!

I am getting ready to paint my 1971 C20. I have the tank behind the seat and 2 auxiliary tanks. Has anyone connected the auxiliary tanks together so you can fill them both from one side (preferably the drivers side)?
Has anyone put a fuel gauge sensor in the auxiliary tanks? I would like to eliminate the inside tank and keep the saddle tanks.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Emisis
Emesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
dsy1

Re: Fuel tank help!

I put a float in a saddle tank and added a gauge under the dash. Just be sure that the ohm range of the sensor and the gauge match, it should not be hard. I kept my in-cab tank.
dsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

My saddle tanks (Travel Tanks, long out of business) have sending units in them. With luck maybe you can locate some. Just wanted to let you know they exist. Mine are wired to the factory fuel gauge through a 3-way toggle at the bottom of the dash.

Plumbing them might be a bit tricky. Maybe a large hose/tube connecting the bottom of the tanks, with a smaller vent tube connecting the top of the tanks. If you don't know for sure how to do it yourself, you'll need someone that can safely weld on fuel tanks.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Emesis

Thanks for the info. Learn something new everyday. I didn't know they had a switch for the sending units. This is a Custom Camper and am assuming the tanks are part of that package. If it was factory installed tanks would it originally have the switch and sending units in the tanks? I plan on getting started in the next couple of days fitting the new doors and welding in the rockers. After that I am taking the bed off and will have a better look at the tanks.
Emesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emesis View Post
If it was factory installed tanks would it originally have the switch and sending units in the tanks?
I would assume so, but mine are not factory. Travel Tanks were a popular dealer-installed or aftermarket add-on back in the day. When I bought my K20 in 1977, the tanks were already in place.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:26 PM   #6
72 K20

If you tie the two saddle tanks together make sure you always park on level ground . I had a 69 C20 with the dual auxiliary tanks and if they were close to full and I didn't park level they would transfer to the lower level. I came out of the house a couple of times when I forgot to park on the level and had gas running out of the lower tank.
72 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote