The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2002, 03:31 PM   #1
bigjimzlll

warning on silvolite pistons

I just checked my deck hieght on my new engine.... .030 over 350 with silvolite hyper pistons..flat tops with 5cc valve reliefs ..Im at .045. it should of been between .020 and .025..turns out they make a rebuilders piston that has a different compression hieght to allow for block and head milling.. when i ordered the pistons i wanted a C/R of 9.8 to 1 with 64cc heads...well thats what i got...but now the pistons so far down the hole im going to have trouble with detonation....oh well, so much for maybe running a little laughing gas. I have 3 options...tear down the motor, and mill .025 off the deck...replace the pistons...or just build it the way it is.....since i am now poor...i think ill build it the way it is.

Jim

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 04:11 PM   #2
ebfabman

If the piston is farther down, why would you have detonation problems? Doesn't that mean less compession? Isn't detonation usually a problem associated with higher compression?

Just thought I's ask.........
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 04:46 PM   #3
tom hand
CCRider

Can't you compensate for deck height with head gasket thickness?
Old 07-13-2002, 04:48 PM   #4
Super Chevy

With a compression of 9.8:1 and if you have ping, adding a spacer or in this case the piston sitting lower in the wall,youll have worse probablems then if you had 9.8:1 and proper clearance, here is a good site that explains this...

http://www.speedomotive.com/Building%20Tips.htm
Super Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 05:15 PM   #5
Beast388
Suburbans RULE!

It all has to do with quench height!!
Check out the info at Keith Black's site: http://www.kb-silvolite.com/page05.htm

71 GMC Suburban 4X4
The "Beast"
388 CID Stroker, TH350, NP205, 8-lug D44, 14BFF w/ Detroit, 4.10:1 gears, 4-Wheel Disks 4" Lift, 35" MT/R's.
Beast388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 05:51 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

While all that is true, the 9.8 to 1 can be thrown out the window. So therefor, he will have lower compression, and LESS likely to detonate...esp if it is more like 9:1 now....025 is quite a bit.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 06:22 PM   #7
Beast388
Suburbans RULE!

Not necessarily true......a 10:1 motor with the proper quench will ping less than a 9:1 motor with the pistons too far in the hole.

Here is an excerpt of the info on the KB piston page...... "Excessive cylinder pressure will encourage engine-destroying detonation and no piston is immune to its' effects. An important first step is to set the assembled quench (a.k.a. "squish") distance to .040". The quench distance is the compressed thickness of the head gasket plus the deck clearance (the distance your piston is down in the bore). If your piston height (not dome height) is above the block deck, subtract the overage from the gasket thickness to get a true assembled quench distance. The quench area is the flat part of the piston that would contact a similar flat area on the cylinder head if you had .000" assembled quench height. In a running engine, the .040" quench decreases to a close collision between the piston and cylinder head. The shock wave from the close collision drives air at high velocity through the combustion chamber. This movement tends to cool hot spots, averages the chamber temperature, reduces detonation and increases power. Take note, on the exhaust cycle, some cooling of the piston occurs due to the closeness of the water- cooled head.

Since it is the close collision between the piston and the cylinder head that reduces the prospect of detonation, never add a shim or head gasket to lower compression on a quench head engine. If you have 10:1 with a proper quench and then add an extra .040" gasket to give 9.5:1 and .080" quench, you will create more ping at 9.5:1 than you had at 10:1. The suitable way to lower the compression is to use a KB dish piston. KB dish (reverse combustion chamber) pistons are designed for maximum quench area."

I suggest reading the info on the KB pistons page......good stuff

71 GMC Suburban 4X4
The "Beast"
388 CID Stroker, TH350, NP205, 8-lug D44, 14BFF w/ Detroit, 4.10:1 gears, 4-Wheel Disks 4" Lift, 35" MT/R's.
Beast388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 07:19 PM   #8
mikep
Used to have a truck

having built quite a few 10:1 compression motors with absolutely no quench area at all ( ported 2V Ford cleveland heads with domed pistons ) I'd call the Keith Black statements a bit of an exageration seeing that with premium gas and loads of timing I never experienced detonation. Yes quench can promote better flame travel but if you are using 92 octane gas which you needed to anyway with that high of a compression ratio then you shouldnt have any problems with detonation as long as you dont get too happy with timing over 34 degrees. Especially dont worry about detonation with nitrous. You get so much extra fuel setup into a standard nitrous setup that detonation isnt much of a worry. I'd be more worried about using nitrous with hypereutectics period. Theyre hard and dimensionally stable but they dont have the
resistance to cracking that forged do and most manufacturers dont reccomend them for extended nitrous or supercharged use.
If it bothers you too much then just use steel shim .018" head gaskets and lose that .020" somewhere else. They work just fine and for $17 a set you cant beat the price. Summit has them part number MRG-1130 .