The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
wesmigletz

How to install back window?

Are there any tricks to installing the back windows? It looks like you just wrap the gasket around the window and tap the assembly into place. Is this correct? Should I use any silicon or other sealant?

Would the windshield be installed the same way? also, do you install the windshield trim pieces into the gasket first?

TIA,

Wes
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
Ram-Man

Re: How to install back window?

I hardly remember what it looked like but if I think with this style gasket window wrap a string around the gasket and set it in place. Then use the string from the inside to pull the gasket around the lip to the inside. Maybe someone else can explain this better.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here are instructions for the windshield.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=90510

Back window would be about the same except I think you would put the bottom in first....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
wesmigletz

Ram-Man, Lockdoc, thanks for the info. I'm starting to put the 71 back together, and I never did windows before.

Wes
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
rangerfj40

Having two people makes the job easier as well. You can do it by yourself, but its not the easiest way.
The string trick works great but be careful around the corners, the string will tear the gasket if you're not careful.
Oh and if you have a helper make sure they don't push too hard on the glass, it will crack.
rangerfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

I used 1/4" rope. With the back glass having the trim already installed. Rope wraped around back glass with about 12" of rope hanging out at the bottom of both ends. Usee some soap detergant on the gasket will help also. Start at one end and go to each bottom corner then keep moving until all in.
On the front you want the rope at the top hanging out and go to each top corner. Work the gasket into the corners with some kind of plastic that want hurt the paint. I happen to have a couple of the plastic tools the window guy's use. Then work your way all the way down to the center of the bottom while your helper is outside pushing in gently. I had no problems at all except working the top corners into place. The trim needs to be installed first also.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
sjarrett71

Funny you should ask this question. "My Classic Car" had this exact same thing on it's show sometime this week (I'm sure it was a re-run). They did it on a 67 Chevy truck none the less. They used the string method with two people. Seemed pretty easy really but they said to be careful and not put too much pressure on the glass.
sjarrett71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Heres one with a few pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=277627
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
blakeaz33

What Andy said - works easiest if you have two people and put the window flat against the truck pressing gently without the bottom, top, or any corner of the gasket in or over the pinch weld. The back glass is tempered unlike the windshield and takes much more pressure before cracking. Spray a generous amount of water with dishsoap with a squirt bottle on both the gasket and the truck will make the window seat best and don't use any kind of sealant. I owned a glass company for several years and this always provided best results for me. Also like has been said - if your gasket has the metal trim install the trim in the gasket before the glass is in the truck.
blakeaz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeaz33 View Post
What Andy said - works easiest if you have two people and put the window flat against the truck pressing gently without the bottom, top, or any corner of the gasket in or over the pinch weld. The back glass is tempered unlike the windshield and takes much more pressure before cracking. Spray a generous amount of water with dishsoap with a squirt bottle on both the gasket and the truck will make the window seat best and don't use any kind of sealant.
I had never installed glass before and I did it exactly this way and it worked great. I think a helper is very necessary.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
twouvakind

I was amazed by the amount of rust on the pinch weld, my old and Ill fitting (with trim) gasket allowed water sit between my aftermarket slider and the weld. I used plastic (Park tools) tire irons to remove the slider/gasket. I could reuse the gasket if I needed to as there was little damage to it with the bicycle tools used to remove it.

Last edited by twouvakind; 11-05-2013 at 06:43 PM.
twouvakind is offline   Reply With Quote