The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2002, 05:28 PM   #1
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

lets talk hydraulic lifter tech

ok ive run into an enigne repair project for a friend in which cylinder #5 exhaust lifter flew out of its bore and the top end of pushrod got sheared off. as i was attempting to adjust all lifters a bit ago, i noticed that the plunger body inside the bodies of the lifters are not collapsing/traveling down in the bores, only a few of the lifters are acting correctly- same as the new lifter i soaked and installed ot replace the ejected one.

now, am i correct in saying that the lifters- that have plungers that wont give any at all and are stuck at top of their travel inside the main body of the lifters- have a problem?

i disassembled a couple of these that were jammed at top of travel and cleaned them out with carb cleaner and then reassembled them and now they work fine and travle up and down in there. i assume that that is how they are supposed to act unlike before i cleaned them and reassembled them. i told him to go ahead and get 15 more lifters and just replace them all and get it over with

who knows what on this subject ?
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:41 PM   #2
ckhd

You are right. Hydraulic lifters have a spring in them, and it should give when you push on them hard enough.

Tell him to stop using crappy oil, and his lifters won't stick.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:56 PM   #3
guitarman
Do it well or don't do it

I'd just replace them all.

Excellent paint and body site:

http://www.autobody101.com/

Visit my Web Site

http://home.attbi.com/~agfosteriii
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 07:01 PM   #4
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

he is bringing me full set of replacement lifters tonight or in the AM, was hoping ot get his engine together tonight, since its gonna be raining soon and cold tomorrow, now have to wait another day..
got another engine to do for a pickup after this one is done, and then another for a trans am.,.,

oh well...

thanks guys,

Last edited by Fast68Chevy; 11-14-2002 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:04 PM   #5
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

If the lifters have been stuck like that, there are probably several worn lobes on the cam.

Major cause of stuck lifters is dirty oil due to lack of oil changes. Secondary to this is short-trip driving, where the engine doesn't get warm enough to cook out the water, which must be compensated for by more frequent oil changes.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 07:40 PM   #6
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

yeah, whats interesting is how clean the lifter gallery is in this engine, no carbon or gunk buildup in low spots of the block casting or even around head bolts even, its damn clean actually, but is varnish buildup on low parts of the lifters, cam lobe wear is something that is possible, but the guy is gonna start getting mad if i keep coming up with more parts that are worn and need replaced, just gonna go with new lifters and see what it runs like then and hope for the best,.,.,

while im here, were original stock pushrods made with welded ball on ends or is that the cas eonly with replacements ?

thanks
Old 11-14-2002, 08:40 PM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Long after the customer forgets what the job cost, he will still remember how well it works! i tuned a 72 fleetwood every other season, for a few. the old man sorta squeaked when he walked, but 6 mo later if he called he talked about how good that old cad ran,& the milage! well i doubt if i could get any milage out of a fleetwood........it ran to d@mn good!(that big caddy would smoke em). I have never made a lot of cash in my garage, but do em once , & do em right........they will be back.......
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:05 PM   #8
cableguy0

im gonna have to agree with crazy longhorn on this one. i'd get him a new cam so no problem come up. a stock cam only cost like 50 bucks i believe and its well worth it not to have to tear the whole thing down again and buy all new lifters again to boot. cuz u never know what kinda damged was caused tot he cam by bad lifters
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:18 PM   #9
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

yeah i understand and agree, but it should be alright, plus he rarely runs the truck, its a drywalling truck only is run when needs larger supplies at a job site,

we'll see.. hmm....

thanks
Old 11-14-2002, 10:40 PM   #10
tom hand
CCRider

Hydralic lifters in a motor that has been running will not act like one that you have tried to pump full of oil. The ones that you have pumped oil into still have some air in them allowing you to easily push the plunger down. This could be why the ones you took apart acted differently, even tho you found no dirt. The ones that have been in the motor are completely full of oil and may take several minutes to bleed down after you make an adjustment change. If the cam lopes are worn you can usally see some cupping on the face of the lifter with a straightedge
Old 11-15-2002, 01:21 PM   #11
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

the thing is is that they hardly have any oil at all in them only a little bit in the bottom of them in the spring wells. they wont press down even with lifters not in engine, you would think if they were hydraulically locked that oil would squirt out of them either out of the bleed hole or out of the pushrod feed hole especially when removed from engine, they dont give at all, not even a tiny bit, not all of them but most of them. i tried an experiment with the new one, i filled it with tranny fluid(cuz is thinner) and it still presses down easily so,,

feet of lifters are cupped, yeah... new lifters are gonna be 75 even for the cheapies at A/Z, NAPA same price, they dont give lifters away anymore like they used to...

thanks