The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
Sillyoldman

Support request on behalf of Steve@OldSub.com‏

My brother in law (nonhog) had the initial pleasure of meeting Steve two weekends ago at a automotive class. The following weekend he and I made a trip to Steves house to acquire some truck parts. Steve gave us the grand tour showing us his current and future projects. Later he welcomed us into his home for coffee and conversation. He won over my daughter with some cookies too. Then without hesitation he asked if we had heard of Amway! (ok that's not true Ha ha) It turns out that Steve is scheduled for a bone marrow transplant with the donor being his brother. He will be going through more series of treatments for an extended period of time. It sounds like Steve will have plenty of time to surf 67-72chevytrucks.com as he feels up to it. Steve did not ask for any help but it sounds like what's ahead of him in the following months will be quite taxing on him. With that said I am asking that we support Steve in whatever way we can. We can chat with him through his webpage. I'm not usually one to get involved in others personal affairs but I see this as an opportunity support Steve. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/stevehanberg/journal Steve is the handsome guy in the left of the photo
*this post has been approved my Admin (thank you) Your gift to CaringBridge is used to ensure the CaringBridge service is available free of charge for all families, helping them stay connected so they may receive the love, support and encouragement they need.
Attached Images

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 03-02-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Support request on behalf of Steve@OldSub.com‏

Good move Don.I`ll see what I can do.And Steve,you have my wishes for the best.I know you`ve done a lot.You can do this.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyoldman View Post
Then without hesitation he asked if we had heard of Amway!
You really don't want to hear my stories about being ambushed with Amway pitches! It hasn't happened in the last ten years, but it happened a lot back in the day. Not all of the stories end with violence or blood shed.

The photo (where did you find that?) is my siblings and I. When you need a transplant its nice to have a large family! I'm the good looking bearded guy on the left, though chemo has left me hairless the last few months. I'm the oldest and we're in line by age, the youngest two, blue shirt and orange shirt, are both perfect matches. Blue shirt lives in Portland and orange shirt is in Boise so blue shirt is my donor based on his proximity to Seattle.

Thank you Sillyoldman for telling my story. I'll likely go days and maybe weeks at a time without being able to respond to anything here, but once the recovery starts to take hold all I'll have is time to hang out online until I go back to work, which may not be for many months.

I really appreciate the words of support. If you are the praying type your prayers are welcome. If you are in the Seattle area in May or June and maybe July I'll be stuck within 15 minutes of Fred Hutch and happy to buy you a cup of coffee if you can find me. PM me and I'll tell you exactly where I am. Today I don't know where that will be.

Thanks!

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Steve i sure wish you the best... my wife is undergoing treatment for recurring cancer and i know how rough the treatments and aftermath can be.
Im not a religious person but ill keep good thoughts for you and your family and if there is anything we can do to help you just let us know

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
GREASEMONKEY72

i wish you the best

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'll be praying for you.I have had the support experience in cancer treatment and I don't think it's much better than the treatment since you're just there and there isn't much you can do to help the person going thru it.Kind of a helpless feeling.I hope all goes well for you and will be here if needed.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@OldSub.com View Post
You really don't want to hear my stories about being ambushed with Amway pitches! It hasn't happened in the last ten years, but it happened a lot back in the day. Not all of the stories end with violence or blood shed.

The photo (where did you find that?) is my siblings and I. When you need a transplant its nice to have a large family! I'm the good looking bearded guy on the left, though chemo has left me hairless the last few months. I'm the oldest and we're in line by age, the youngest two, blue shirt and orange shirt, are both perfect matches. Blue shirt lives in Portland and orange shirt is in Boise so blue shirt is my donor based on his proximity to Seattle.

Thank you Sillyoldman for telling my story. I'll likely go days and maybe weeks at a time without being able to respond to anything here, but once the recovery starts to take hold all I'll have is time to hang out online until I go back to work, which may not be for many months.

I really appreciate the words of support. If you are the praying type your prayers are welcome. If you are in the Seattle area in May or June and maybe July I'll be stuck within 15 minutes of Fred Hutch and happy to buy you a cup of coffee if you can find me. PM me and I'll tell you exactly where I am. Today I don't know where that will be.

Thanks!

I thought you'd get a chuckle out of that. I do have a reputation to live up to. I'd love to hear your Amway stories. Iv'e been pinned into a couple amway situations myself. I found that picture on your Cambridge page.

'67 Buick Special 455.

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #8
NONHOG

Amway ! Aside from the hard sale join or else Enjoyed the tour as well as the coffee and cookies.
I have been having a hard time not pulling the 49 in the shop and start cutting out the old to make room for the new. Can't wait. Thanks again Steve.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
steppside69

Your in thoughts and prayers!
steppside69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

You are in our thoughts and prayers Steve. May God Bless you in this time in your life.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Best of luck to you in your treatment and drop in when you can. We will be watching for your posts.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
NONHOG

Always nice to see how supportive this site is. Shows what a great group of guys and gals we have here.
If you'd like to support more directly to Steve there is a way.
The above web site does help Steve through the possibility of donations.
however do know it is indirect.
If anyone would like to help Steve directly they can send a check to:

Island Church (www.IslandChurch.org)
9624 Sportsman Club Road
Bainbridge Island, Wa 98110

Mark the check "Hanberg Medical" and make it out to Island Church

Just a reminder its not Steve asking if we could post this stuff. Its Silly and I
asking him, he reluctantly agreed.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 PM   #13
Sillyoldman

Bump
Attached Images

'67 Buick Special 455.

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 03-04-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
NONHOG

Was just reading Steve's blog (from the link in the 1st post) and saw SCCA
And I thought WOO HOO Steve's having a blast before the long road of better health. As it turns out Steve was not racing autocross.
SCCA stands for Seattle Cancer Care Alliance not Sports car club of America.
O.K. maybe this fall we can talk him into autocrossing his burb
Heck FrizzleFry did it. (video somewhere?)
Take care Steve ! I'll try and stop sometime on my way up to see my parents in Edmonds.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
Steve@OldSub.com

Week one is now done. I've filled out more paper work and signed more consent forms than you want to think about, and I've had more medical tests than I had in my first 50 years alltogether.

The adventure continues next week with more tests and I'll be pretty consumed by this for the next several months.

I very much appreciate everyone's kind words and prayers!

Steve@OldSub.com
Old 03-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #16
OrrieG

Good luck and my prayers are with you and your family. My wife and I went through a similar situation with her brother, surgery then radiation therepy for jaw and lumph cancer. Stay strong and focus on the positive outcome. If you ever get to Boise to visit the orange brother look me up and we can share some old timer lies. Patrick
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

You're in our thoughts and prayers-

-Todd

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
Steve@OldSub.com

I've had three of eight radiation treatments now, and in less than two hours will have the fourth. They say radiation makes you tired and thirsty. So far they seem to be right, I'm now taking morning, afternoon and evening naps in addition to a full nights sleep and shutting my eyes anytime I think I can get away with it.

Radiation is over on Tuesday and I begin five days of chemo on Wednesday with the transplant set for the following week.

I now live at Pete Gross House which is an apartment complex for people like me, real close to the clinic and kept super clean in an effort to reduce infections for the immune deficient, which with radiation and chemo is what I've become.

Most likely I'll be here until sometime in July unless things go real well or real poor. I'll spend some time hospitalized starting in about a week.

If someone asks if you want cancer just say no. I'd rather be racing SCCA or better yet in my shop working on an old truck!

Steve@OldSub.com
Old 03-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #19
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@OldSub.com View Post

I now live at Pete Gross House which is an apartment complex for people like me, real close to the clinic and kept super clean in an effort to reduce infections for the immune deficient, which with radiation and chemo is what I've become.

So I suppose a toga party is out of the question. Always nice to hear from you. Glad things are going as well as possible thus far. Keep us posted. Stay tough.

'67 Buick Special 455.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
NONHOG

You can sure tell the true "gearhead" when a guy mentions car shows on his cancer journal. Here is part of his notes..........

"Its still a little difficult to predict what car shows I'll make it to this year. However my recovery is happening fast enough I may get to add some back onto the list. I've been saying no to anything before mid July but this recent news means I may be able to hit some late June shows."
Old 04-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #21
Sillyoldman

I visited his FB page yesterday. The transplant is done. Get better Steve.

'67 Buick Special 455.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #22
Steve@OldSub.com

I'm still stuck in Seattle for two more months but recovery seems to be happening. I can eat again though most food tastes funny. My energy is still low but I'm managing to get around a little.

I might make it to the Greenlake show in June but have firm plans to make Good Guys in July!

Cancer sucks but I'm making it through!

Steve@OldSub.com
Old 05-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #23
BillGent
Pretty But Evil Doggy Woggy.

Glad to hear things are better Steve!
BillGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #24
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

good to see you posting Steve!
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #25
Sillyoldman

I visit your FB page from time to time. June show? I'd love to bring my jalopy and waste a day with you. If not maybe you can join the clan at XXX? Nice to hear from you Steve.

'67 Buick Special 455.