The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
jcwren

Bed kit recommendations for '70 C10 LWB

So I pulled the trigger for the "deluxe" finished oak bed kit and angle rails from Brothers, and was invoiced for $167 shipping. Then they called me this morning and wanted ANOTHER $164 on top of that because "oh, our online ordering system doesn't account for over-sized packages" or some such. I told them to cancel the order, no way I'm paying $331 for shipping on a $700 order, not in this universe.

I wanted to go with that option because everything was pre-drilled, it's the first time I've ever messed with a bed kit (OK, this is my first C10, too), and I didn't really want to mess it up as a learning exercise.

So I'm back to square 1. I want oak, and based on the searching I've done, short of the Brothers kit, I'm going to have to align and drill everything myself.

I'd like some recommendations from folks who've had good experiences with a company that doesn't rape you on shipping. Any suggestions? I'm near Year One in Georgia, if anyone has a positive experience with their kit.

#frustrated
jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
jeffahart

Re: Bed kit recommendations for '70 C10 LWB

This is closer to you. I would use the pine, it's better for outdoors.

Plus, if you're into milling your own, I heard there is a glut of southern yellow in the south right now. Not for sure because I'm not out there, just heard it. But, sucks buying bed wood at big box because you need that extra inch, means you need to get 10' not 8' ... bummer!

Oh also, Brothers dropships their bed wood, that's why they are changing their shipping costs on you!

https://www.classicparts.com/1960-72...ctinfo/07-058/

j
Old 01-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
Sweeet67

On a lwb, there should be six bolts to hold the bed down. The side bolts are easy to drill once you get the board under the edges.
On the six bed bolts, I just used what was left of my old boards to make a template and drilled. It didn’t seem too overwhelming as I did it.
I also milled my own boards if you have any shop tools, it’s not too hard. Maybe a local wood worker could help you if not.
GMC Paul’s has a diagram on their website for lumber dimensions.
Good luck!
Sweeet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #4
Smitty

Could check Mark K in Oklahoma.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
mackdaddy78

Hi, I used the bed wood kit and stainless strips from LMC truck. The Oak wood was good quality and everything fit well. Their shipping is a little on the high side but they charge on the total price of your order plus $20.00 for oversize items. So it would be around $50.00 to ship the wood bed. It would be more if you bought the strips at the same time. Mar-K wanted around $120.00 to ship. I welded the L brackets on the box side. They were pre punched and were the only holes I had to drill into wood edge boards.
Hopefully this helps.

Mackdaddy
Attached Images

mackdaddy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
trac209

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdaddy78 View Post
Hi, I used the bed wood kit and stainless strips from LMC truck. The Oak wood was good quality and everything fit well. Their shipping is a little on the high side but they charge on the total price of your order plus $20.00 for oversize items. So it would be around $50.00 to ship the wood bed. It would be more if you bought the strips at the same time. Mar-K wanted around $120.00 to ship. I welded the L brackets on the box side. They were pre punched and were the only holes I had to drill into wood edge boards.
Hopefully this helps.

Mackdaddy
Wow that bed looks amazing
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
jcwren

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdaddy78 View Post
Hopefully this helps.

Mackdaddy
That does look >really< nice! I may go that route. I can pick up the metal work locally at Year One. Their prices on that aren't too bad, although their wood is pretty expensive. Investigating having a local cabinet shop cut it for me. Buford, GA has the highest number of cabinet shops per square mile in the US, according to the Chamber of Commerce. Oak is affordable, too bad teak isn't. That'd look pretty good with the medium bronze, I'm guessing.
jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
mackdaddy78

Thanks, the stain was called gunstock. You said you were worried about drilling the mounting holes. If you noticed there are not any on top of the bed on mine.
You can mount the bed to your truck with out drilling through the wood. Mount it from underneath with the rails directly to the frame. Your bed strip bolts through the crossmembers is more than enough to hold the wood on. I will take a picture and post it on here.
mackdaddy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
Boog
laying low

That's a clean floor without the large bolts and washers on top. I'd like to see underneath too.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #10
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
That's a clean floor without the large bolts and washers on top. I'd like to see underneath too.
Subd
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote