The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2005, 08:13 AM   #51
byrd
Union Electrician

Re: Truck work shops

Hey TX where are you buying your lights? and are they HO 8'? THe cost seems a little steep to me. If you have a lighting supply house or an electrical supply house they will have the best price. Just to show the difference between Home D and the lighting supply house that I bought all my lights from was, the fixtures were only $45-50 a piece for the 8' HO and a case of bulbs was like $55, where as Home D wants $65-70 per fixture and $75-85 for a case of bulbs. Huge difference in price!!! As far as enough light you should be really close,depending on your personal preference, but I would use a couple more for that long of a run, are you lighting the entire 30x40 with the 8 fixtures? and if so you might consider a couple more, I used 10 of them for a 30x30work area with 12 foot ceilings and it is perfect, but then again I like it really bright, no problem seeing anything including doing bodywork or mechanical work. So TX if my math is right you have a light about every 7' so going the length of your garage, right? IIRC the one's in my step dad's garage are on 5' or 6' foot centers, and I don't think the lighting could be any better. You will not regret spending the extra money on the lighting, Randy
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors

Last edited by byrd; 12-14-2005 at 08:22 AM.
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #52
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

My buddy, who is doing the work, is a licensed journeyman IBEW electrician. He's getting all the stuff through an industrial supplier. No Home Depot stuff will be used anywhere. I trust him completely. I told him I wanted it done once, the very best possible, and no regrets later for cheaping out. He told me 80 bucks per light, and I gave him the go-ahead. I didn't shop around or compare prices. He trusts me to do mechanicing work without question, I trust him to do electrical.

I probably don't want to shop around or compare prices. It's too late anyway, the deal is done.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:03 AM   #53
Alvin
Never Done?

Here's my dad's shop out in AZ. 6000 sq ft if I remember correctly. I think it's 'almost' big enough!

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 PM   #54
byrd
Union Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
My buddy, who is doing the work, is a licensed journeyman IBEW electrician. He's getting all the stuff through an industrial supplier. No Home Depot stuff will be used anywhere. I trust him completely. I told him I wanted it done once, the very best possible, and no regrets later for cheaping out. He told me 80 bucks per light, and I gave him the go-ahead. I didn't shop around or compare prices. He trusts me to do mechanicing work without question, I trust him to do electrical.

I probably don't want to shop around or compare prices. It's too late anyway, the deal is done.

I'm glad to see a fellow brother get the work. I've been a member of the IBEW since 1996 Local #369. Jouneyman/ Master licienced since 2000.The prices aren't bad considering he will probably have to get it all together for you, so that may add a little to the cost(fuel mainly). I have a retired mechanic who I do the same thing with, just trading labor no money, so it works out well for me, like it does for you. Good luck with your shop and I would love to see some pics of when completed. Randy
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:35 PM   #55
Chevy_Man
Tightwad

ttt
Chevy_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #56
Chevy_Man
Tightwad

Hey guys, got the shop started...well go the concrete poured....building comes in next month and can't wait so i can get back to work on my 68 step side....will post a few pics later...

eric
Chevy_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #57
67chevemall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin
Here's my dad's shop out in AZ. 6000 sq ft if I remember correctly. I think it's 'almost' big enough!

OH MAN THAT IS BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #58
JRB

Man I should not have even opened this posting. I am still working out of my oversized 2 car garage. But I have 4 trucks and 3 of them are in the garage. You talk about sardines. I have a 30 by 50 shop in the planning stage with radiant heat in the foundation. Im tired of laying on a cold floor. Problem is I will probably go to sleep under the truck.
JRB
JRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #59
Alvin
Never Done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevemall
OH MAN THAT IS BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, he definitely enjoys it. It was with the house when he moved in. It's not used quite the way I would if I had it, but it's got more than enough room for all his toys and junk! He's mentioned moving to another house sometime in the future, I might have to see what kinda deal he can give his son on his old place

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #60
68gmcdually

I just purchased a house, well the deal closes on February 24th, with a single car attached garage for the wife's bravada and a 25' x 50' roughly cement block workshop. with a 4' wide man door on the side and a 8' high by 10' wide garage door.

Sorry about the very small picture size, I couldn't edit it any larger and keep it under the allowed size.
Attached Images

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,

Last edited by 68gmcdually; 01-26-2006 at 07:14 PM.
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote