The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
combustion

would our trucks be considered muscle trucks?

i was having an argument with my friend. he says these trucks cannot even be considered as muscle trucks. i have seen a lot of mean machines of our generation. they were also made from the most popular years for muscle cars i think. opinions?
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: would our trucks be considered muscle trucks?

I dont think so but possibly hot rod trucks then id think classic would probally fit
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
combustion

eh, i always looked at them kinda like one.

off subject. you planning to modify your k20? ^^ not the truck
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.

Last edited by combustion; 04-17-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
OARNGESI

Now its all outside work are you into hondas
Old 04-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

First of all it,there is nothing you can do to a truck or car that would make it a muscle truck or car.The term muscle car refers to factory-built hi-performance cars built from production stock.In other words,a sedan or sport coupe your grandparents could have been driving.For instance:GTO=Tempest with big motor and all the go fast goodies.
There never was a term "muscle truck" known until more recent years.Muscle car came along once these cars became a thing of the past by the low-performance`80s.But,these trucks are from the height of the muscle car era and I consider a BBC/TH400/posi/tach/bucket seat shortbed to be a muscle truck.I used to think that truck would have to be a CST/Cheyenne model.But,comfort and appearance options really don`t have anything to do with it.It could have a 350/3spd/tach/4.10s/posi/manual steering and be a muscle truck,IMO.That truck was built with performance in mind.The first thing many did was to massage the motor into a big power 350.Yes,after the factory.But,that`s how it was back then."Muscle car" is an era and back then as many all out muscle cars would go directly into the shop for some performance enhancement as left original.But,it`s still the vehicle you start with.I`d say these trucks,with certain options,could fairly be referred to as muscle trucks.Take`68 and line these up:
*Nova SS396
*SS396 Chevelle
*SS396 Camaro
*Impala SS w/427(or 396)
*Caprice w/396(or 427)
*CST/10 shortbed w/396
It fits right in there.It may not be the higher output motor.But,that truck was built or performance,not work.A 350(or 302) would fit in there,too.

I bought a truck about 25 years ago.Two brothers ordered identical trucks:
Shortbed Fleetside,red w/white top,396,bucket seat,tach,3spd,HD clutch,manual steering/brakes,posi(both changed to 4.10s,headers,intake,cam,head work,Mallory dual-point).Mine had Cragar S/Ss and he the other ran aluminum slots,both 8s & 10s.They were daily drivers,at first,as well as take to the track rigs.Those guys didn`t want a car.They were hot rodders and they liked trucks.They got all excited when GM offered the big block and ran on down to place their orders for the muscle car of their dreams...a shortbed truck with a big motor.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-17-2009 at 08:09 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
big_al_71

We could build a muscle truck, rest mod or a pro touring truck but the fact is that I have never heard anyone describe our body style trucks as a muscle truck. It is definetly the most popular chevy truck body style (67-72) and as I know that there are plenty of our built trucks that can run with the best of the "Muscle Cars" but I dont think our truck no matter what it will ever be considered a "muscle" vehicle.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
cdowns

first truck that i remember as a factory built "muscle"truck was the dodge lil red express
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

it`s not about the body style.It`s about the drivetrain.A Nova,Malibu,Biscayne,etc isn`t a muscle car until it comes equipped for perormance.The term didn`t exist until the era had passed.We used the term "Detroit Muscle" back then to refer to american factory performance rides.That`s what the "Muscle Cars" name evolved from.
Those lil`Red Wagons were ater the Muscle Car era and just an appearance package.A Plain Jane`63 D100 with wide block 318 could outrun a 360 Lil`Red wagon.Now,about the 383 equipped Dodge rom the muscle car era that I`d consider a muscle truck.
Darn,I can`t find the ad with Don Knotts arguing over the "Dude
package truck equipped with 383 and racing stripes from`71.The argument was over it being for work or play.
Since the term muscle car is not a factory term and created by the public,i`d say there is no argument.You are both right.It`s in your perception.You two could also run down a list of cars from this era and argue some are or are not muscle cars.Is a Cadillac Coupe de Ville with a 500 a muscle car?It`s the biggest motor out in a sport coupe that goes back to the depression era when the largest American cars had the big motors and built for sport and speed.I say it`s in the eye of the beholder.Nothing to argue over.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OARNGESI View Post
Now its all outside work are you into hondas
im huge on hondas. are you on azht?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
it`s not about the body style.It`s about the drivetrain.A Nova,Malibu,Biscayne,etc isn`t a muscle car until it comes equipped for perormance.The term didn`t exist until the era had passed.We used the term "Detroit Muscle" back then to refer to american factory performance rides.That`s what the "Muscle Cars" name evolved from.
Those lil`Red Wagons were ater the Muscle Car era and just an appearance package.A Plain Jane`63 D100 with wide block 318 could outrun a 360 Lil`Red wagon.Now,about the 383 equipped Dodge rom the muscle car era that I`d consider a muscle truck.
package truck equipped with 383 and racing stripes from`71.The argument was over it being for work or play.
Since the term muscle car is not a factory term and created by the public,i`d say there is no argument.You are both right.It`s in your perception.You two could also run down a list of cars from this era and argue some are or are not muscle cars.Is a Cadillac Coupe de Ville with a 500 a muscle car?It`s the biggest motor out in a sport coupe that goes back to the depression era when the largest American cars had the big motors and built for sport and speed.I say it`s in the eye of the beholder.Nothing to argue over.
wow i got the whole cake. lol
Old 04-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
OARNGESI

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustion View Post
im huge on hondas. are you on azht?
azht PROBALLYNOT NOT SURE WHAT IS IT
Old 04-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #12
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OARNGESI View Post
azht PROBALLYNOT NOT SURE WHAT IS IT
its the local honda forums. mostly ricers. but a few clean ones.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
raggedjim

My trucks aren't muscle, but I've had a few that showed their @$$ end to some muscle cars...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
MrC1
Dork For Days

I agree with most of the above, but have to disagree witht eh Lil Red Express comment. That truck was built as a muscle truck and advertised as such. It came with the best engine available at the time, a 360. It ran 14 second 1/4 miles, which was teriffic for the time. I believe it actually holds some acceleration record for production vehicles one of those years, certainly for pickups. I don't remember exactly what the details were.

I have a hard time believing a '63 D100 would outrun that.
2008 Cadillac CTS
All-American garage, baby!
MrC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
Stock72c10
classic=of recognized value

Mine is definitely not a muscle truck, the only @ss it hauls is mine.
Stock72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

If you have the muscle under the hood, then why not call it a muscle truck. To me it seems like the term muscle truck came around when the SS454 and the Lightening(that's a Ford)were around. Are they muscle trucks? Sure, why not. They have big power plants, fancy wheels and graphics. As far as the 67-72 goes. They were built waaay before the term "muscle truck". Same recipe applies. Hot motor, a little flash, and boom. Muscle Truck. The key factor is POWER.
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #17
Shane
Account Suspended

what the heck is a "muscle truck" anyway?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
truckster

Sure, call it whatever you want. What really matters is put-up-or-shut-up time. Some of these guys have monster engines in their trucks and would take most muscle cars.

With my tired 350, I definitely wouldn't call my Blazer a muscle truck, unless we're talking about the muscle it takes to pull late-model SUVs out of snowbanks.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
70rs/ss

I have a 90 454 SS And yeah it was built specifically to start a "Muscle truck" war with the Ford lightning, and now the Dodge SRT viper V-10 trucks. But as K mentioned the 72 could be had w/402 in a shortbed, sounds like a "muscle truck" to me??
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
brad_man_72
the boat guy

i refer to my truck a muscle truck.
timeless looks, modern comforts, decent power, and sounds mean.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #21
lowbucktruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I have to agree... racing stripes don't make a car (or truck) run any faster. It's what the vehicle is packing under the hood that counts.

Last edited by lowbucktruck; 04-17-2009 at 01:47 PM.
lowbucktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #22
leos11104

wow honda guys i have a 92 civic hatch with a built b18c1 gt35 turbo cage hondata running 10.98 at bandimere in colorado (high altitude)
leos11104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #23
americanmusc1e

Ive always considered mine a musc1e truck even though it came with a 350/350 and 3.08rear I also consider a '69 camaro SS with a 350/350 and a 3.08 a musc1e car too

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #24
sameyrasmea72

The 454ss may may have been built to be a muscle truck, but they sure didn't seem to have much "muscle". When I think of a muscle like factory truck put out by GM, I would think of a late 70's-79 454. Those trucks halled butt. I have heard from several people that they were the fastest production vehicle at the time.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #25
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
i refer to my truck a muscle truck.
timeless looks, modern comforts, decent power, and sounds mean.
Very well-put, and I agree.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote