The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #26
Run Away

Re: What to bring on 1000 mile road trip with a truck I've never seen?

First off, I want to say thank you for the very warm welcome...the fact some people are willing to help out a complete stranger means a lot.

I bought a CAA (Canadian AAA) premier membership this morning so I've got a 320km tow in my pocket now.

I'm planning on taking I29 the whole way from Siloam Springs to the Pembina, ND border crossing. Departing from AR midday on Friday Feb 6....my customs paperwork including the new AES filing is all in order.

Adding electrical tape, coat hangers/wire, and a coil to my list of things to bring. Someone mentioned to me I should buy a boat gas tank instead if a jerry can, that way I can temporarily replace the whole fuel system up to the carb if needed, and I think that's a decent idea.

Can anyone tell me what kind of car I should ask a parts store clerk for when buying a coil or HEI module? I remember from school there are 4 pin and 7 pin HEI modules and I don't know which this truck has.
Run Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #27
Steve-W

Don't forget WD40 or JD80 which ever you prefer

and the pre-work on the truck before setting off should consist of no less than:
- check for leaks,
- fluid levels
- gear selection
- engine cold start and idling
- drive of and at 20mph, set it in neutral and see if it'll continue without brake's dragging. and whether it'll run straight without pulling to one side.
-listen for any suspicious sounds (also when aplying the brakes, again it shouldn't pull to one side)
-tire pressure! (often a forgotten part)

bon voyage!
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #28
67 cst swb

chances are that's a 4 pin module. ask for 75 chevy pickup for the module and coil.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #29
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

7 pins were later models... so anything say pre-79 should be fine.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #30
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Well, it's running in the engine pic, that's a good sign.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #31
michael bustamante

a spare alternator.
also bailing wire and some good pliers.....just in case. or even wire hangers you can cut and use as temporary hangers
Old 02-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #32
srvivor71

Your list and these suggestions look great. I did a trip like this from Idaho to NY when I got my truck. I had almost all the stuff mentioned here. I had mostly good luck and it was a great experience. The only trouble I ran into was that the tires were old. They looked good, so we decided to chance it. Got a nasty blowout on day 2 and ended up buying 4 new tires. Other than that it was great.

Best of luck on your trip! I hope you have a great time like we did (without the little bit of bad luck).
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #33
hammerholley

Bring another chevy!
hammerholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #34
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

You are going to go right by LMC Truck and Classic Truck,and if it was me I'd be filling up with parts, both are right around Kansas city.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:21 PM   #35
Run Away

Thanks Already Gone, another good idea. I know I'll be needing new rockers...

Packing my toolbag tonight. Does anybody know what size socket I'll need for the front spindle nut? 1-1/8" maybe?

Also picked up belts, 4 pin HEI module, coil, front wheel bearings, and a pair of U-joints while I was at work today.
Run Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #36
SS Tim

Manuals are very good to have, even more so when they are factory and model/year specific.

RTFM ... Read The Factory Manuals... download 'em here
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #37
Jason Banks

I just noticed. This truck has no mirrors. No Side or Rearview. Might need to stop in KC at one of the parts places and get something. Or maybe the seller has some.

I went back and checked the ebay listing to confirm.

Might want to take one of these:
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #38
sprint_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Away View Post
Someone mentioned to me I should buy a boat gas tank instead if a jerry can, that way I can temporarily replace the whole fuel system up to the carb if needed, and I think that's a decent idea. .
I think this is a great idea, also take at least a couple of fuel filters, looks like it has an inline filter so that is an added benefit. The fuel filter has been the biggest pain I have had with my original truck that sat for an extended amount of time, too much rust in the tank. I could only make it about 100 miles before the q-jet filter plugged, granted its small but still.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #39
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Two choices in KC for restoration kinds of parts:

LMC (15-20 minutes SW of downtown)
15450 West 108th Street, Lenexa, KS ‎
(913) 492-8756 ‎ · lmctruck.com

Classic Parts of America (10 minutes NW of downtown)
1 Chevy Duty Drive, Riverside, MO ‎
(816) 741-8029 ‎ · classicparts.com

I'm 30 miles west of KC. Have a great trip.
Loren

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #40
1971_CST_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Have you done your paperwork because US Customs requires you to have the paperwork done 72 hours before you arrive with the vehicle at the Border Crossing. Are you coming back through Emerson Crossing, straight south of Winnipeg? As far as making sure the truck is roadworthy maybe a bord member in the area where you bought the truck would be willing to have it independent mechanically checked before you pick it up.I bought a truck in South Dakota last fall and a board member offered to then took the truck and it checked our for me. It was an 875 trip one way home with no issues. I will PM you my phone number and feel free to call me as I can help you with the Import stuff and probably save you some money on Broker fees.
BINGO.................I am going to SECOND this quote.... make sure this is DONE if its not you will be sitting on your butt at the border until paperwork arrives or until the 72hrs goes by and if the paperwork arrives they will charge you a fileing and process fee as well.... have all your paperwork done and also make sure its FIT to come into Canada they can charge you up to $800 for an Inter Border Crossing inspection and STILL have to get an Out of Province when you get home. Dont forget you WILL get charged the PST and GST on your purchase price as well as we dont have free trade any longer with USA. if you try to go through without claiming the truck or get through where there is no crossing and there are places as soon as you go to try to register it up here they will ask for Border paperwork and if you dont have it they will make you take the truck back to the border just to get it and it has to be in the truck you bought.... Yes I learned the hard way can you tell... hahahaha..
have all your T's crossed and I's dotted and you are good to go...
Darren.
1970 El Camino SS
1971_CST_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:21 PM   #41
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971_CST_C10 View Post
BINGO.................I am going to SECOND this quote.... make sure this is DONE if its not you will be sitting on your butt at the border until paperwork arrives or until the 72hrs goes by and if the paperwork arrives they will charge you a fileing and process fee as well.... have all your paperwork done and also make sure its FIT to come into Canada they can charge you up to $800 for an Inter Border Crossing inspection and STILL have to get an Out of Province when you get home. Dont forget you WILL get charged the PST and GST on your purchase price as well as we dont have free trade any longer with USA. if you try to go through without claiming the truck or get through where there is no crossing and there are places as soon as you go to try to register it up here they will ask for Border paperwork and if you dont have it they will make you take the truck back to the border just to get it and it has to be in the truck you bought.... Yes I learned the hard way can you tell... hahahaha..
have all your T's crossed and I's dotted and you are good to go...
Darren.

He PM'd me and had all his paperwork done. What is an Inter Border Crossing Inspection, I've done lots of importing and never heard of such a thing. Are you talking about the RIV Inspection for vehicles 15 years old and newer? Sounds like you may have had a bad experience while importing something.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 02-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #42
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

He should be on the road now. I hope he posts along the way.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #43
1971_CST_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
He PM'd me and had all his paperwork done. What is an Inter Border Crossing Inspection, I've done lots of importing and never heard of such a thing. Are you talking about the RIV Inspection for vehicles 15 years old and newer? Sounds like you may have had a bad experience while importing something.
Yes a bad time bringing a 1970 el camino across from the usa to canada. I got to the canadian border crossing and declaired the car and its stature and had all the paperwork but had a jerk at the window who flagged me for a vehicle inspection to check for fitness to be able to drive and import it. they said the 4 tires had insufficient tread depth left and a crack in the windshield that impeeded my vision as it went from drivers side to pass side in the line of vision. I felt like telling him I see shattered windshields on the road and mine was nothing to worry about but figured at this point that wont help, and the same thing I had no side mirrors or rearview mirror which I cannot safely do lane changes and had a marker light out as well as a headlight yet is was 10am ?? anyhow without going anymore painfully into this they jammed me with a $800 fee for the inspection they did and to allow me to continue my journey home yet still with what they thought was a vehicle with less than adiquit safety but not unsafe to drive ??
yes so just a bad time but could see them possibly being sticklers on his truck.
Darren.
1970 El Camino SS
1971_CST_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:49 PM   #44
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You need to read this thread before any road trip. It will help you be prepared for just about any non mechanical problem you may have. Do not be drinking any liquids. I am not responsible for you spewing whatever you're dinking all over your keyboard.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=322870
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:21 AM   #45
franken

Brains.
Take back roads til to get a feel for it.
Drive slow.
Oils, coolant, brake, well all fluids, and a not so clever friend you don't mind abusing.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:18 AM   #46
Beaumont@

Best advice I can give ya is to look over the truck real good before setting out and have your paperwork sorted out 72 hours before you cross the border and you should be fine. I did this a couple years back when the Canadian dollar was still worth something, drove 1700 miles from Albuquerque to Alberta in a 1970c10 lol. I documented the whole trip but cant find the thread now that the search isn't working, Good Luck
Beaumont@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #47
Stranny64

I wonder if MacGyver is still around! Him and a gum wrapper and you'd pretty much be set!!! 😄

Good Luck!!!
1968 Custom Camper C/20, rebuilt original 327 with 350 hp., turbo 400 with shift kit, factory AC truck, original patina rust free paint from Oregon, 2/4 lowering springs + 1" blocks, GM 2500 8 bolt rally's with dually center caps with Firestone Destination 245/75-R16's. (My 50th birthday present from my wife!!!)
Stranny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #48
69sinker

Any updates?
Old 02-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #49
71swb4x4

I am late to the party but I am on I29. Greg, or anyone else, if you hear from Run Away and he/she needs help text/call if you have my number, or PM me if you don't.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #50
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
I am late to the party but I am on I29. Greg, or anyone else, if you hear from Run Away and he/she needs help text/call if you have my number, or PM me if you don't.
Thanks Shawn. I will do that and i still have your number. I'm surprised he hasn't posted anything yet. Maybe no news is good news.