The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #101
PBFAB.COM

Re: Dropmember in a 69 C10

I will have to get back to you with pics of the Dropmember, with the rack and pinion installed, later in the week... or the beginning of next.

I have attached a couple pics of the Dropmember C4 (uses C4 Corvette Suspension). It is near completion... I am impatiently awaiting a rack and pinion I ordered a few weeks back . Once I get the rack I can finish up the piece, and build my fixtures for production. It is set-up to have a 5" ride height with a 27" tall tire. The tire in the pic is a 255 35R20. It will need to be ran with a Shockwave or coil-over.
Attached Images

PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #102
valleycustom

Old 09-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #103
SCOTI

Is the 2nd pic the estimated ride height?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #104
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Is the 2nd pic the estimated ride height?
2nd pic is at 6", that's one inch above the ride height. The first pic is at full compression.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #105
tom71
what happened to flint mi

whats the c 4 drop member gonna cost?
56 gmc 2wd project waitng
97 fiance mobile
tom71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #106
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom71 View Post
whats the c 4 drop member gonna cost?
It'll run $1500 WITH a custom width power rack. Comes with all the same stuff as the regular Dropmember kit. C4 suspension components can be had... brakes, spindles, hubs, and arms for less than a set of Strong Arms! You do have to use Shockwaves, if you're going air, so that makes the overall cost of the kit a little more spendy, but not too bad!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:02 PM   #107
valleycustom

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
It'll run $1500 WITH a custom width power rack. Comes with all the same stuff as the regular Dropmember kit. C4 suspension components can be had... brakes, spindles, hubs, and arms for less than a set of Strong Arms! You do have to use Shockwaves, if you're going air, so that makes the overall cost of the kit a little more spendy, but not too bad!
I have the shockwaves and everything else.... Now all I need is the dropmember.
Nathan's shop is one of the best shops I've ever worked with. He sends updates all the time on how things are going. I'll defently be buying more of these.

Last edited by valleycustom; 09-05-2006 at 11:06 PM.
valleycustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #108
tom71

any plans for irs vette crossmember kit?
97 fiance mobile
Old 09-06-2006, 01:15 AM   #109
PBFAB.COM

It's going to be a complete back-half... it's in the works.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:29 AM   #110
dstrbd71

Thats what I cal a front end SWAPPAGE!!!!!!!!
Very nice work I must say!

1967 Chevy Stepside Shortbox
1995 Chevy Silverado 4X4
1956 Chevy 210 post Delray
dstrbd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #111
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
2nd pic is at 6", that's one inch above the ride height. The first pic is at full compression.
There will be lots of straight-line driving on that thing
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #112
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
There will be lots of straight-line driving on that thing
Not quite sure what the "EEK" is meant for... it will handle corners just as nicley as it will go straight.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #113
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Not quite sure what the "EEK" is meant for... it will handle corners just as nicley as it will go straight.
You indicated that pic #2 was 1" _ABOVE_ ride height. As shown, you're well into the tire... so how do you turn?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #114
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
You indicated that pic #2 was 1" _ABOVE_ ride height. As shown, you're well into the tire... so how do you turn?
With the steering wheel! All joking aside... I know you're not the biggest fan of the front track width being "too narrow"... and I too think there is a point of it being "too narrow". The track width is "narrow enough" to allow the wheels to be turned without contacting the fender and allows for 3" of compression at ride height before the tire would contact. The camber curve built into the design is much more aggressive than the stock geometry on these trucks, this too pulls the top of the tire inward as the suspension compresses, creating even more clearance. I have attached some pics of clearances. (My BIGGEST pet peave is tires rubbing... and I design and build things with this in mind )

One point of clarity... this particular Dropmember C4 is going to a customer, and it is set up for a 5" ride height with a 27" tall tire per his specs. The Dropmember C4 will also have a one inch higher ride height available. The one inch taller ride height (6")will not allow the frame to set on the ground... it'll have a 1/2 inch to spare.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2006, 03:12 PM   #115
jimmydean

Damn PB, you do some wicked work. I wish you were closer, but I guess it's good that you're not because I'd be BROKE!
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #116
PBFAB.COM

Thanks for the compliments Jimmy Dean!

One more quick note... The wheel is a 20X8.5 with an 18mm offset; that equates to a 5" backspacing.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:09 AM   #117
SCOTI

Quote:
I will have to get back to you with pics of the Dropmember, with the rack and pinion installed, later in the week... or the beginning of next.

I have attached a couple pics of the Dropmember C4 (uses C4 Corvette Suspension). It is near completion... I am impatiently awaiting a rack and pinion I ordered a few weeks back . Once I get the rack I can finish up the piece, and build my fixtures for production. It is set-up to have a 5" ride height with a 27" tall tire. The tire in the pic is a 255 35R20. It will need to be ran with a Shockwave or coil-over.
Thanks about the pics. I can wait if you can get some. I really like the C4 Dropmember (that will most likely be the way I go w/mine).

If the rack is custom, any chance on choosing power or manual (JIC)?
Do you have a supplier on used C4 stuff?

Once again . . .... awesome design & I look forward to seeing more of your ideas come to life.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #118
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Thanks about the pics. I can wait if you can get some. I really like the C4 Dropmember (that will most likely be the way I go w/mine).

If the rack is custom, any chance on choosing power or manual (JIC)?
Do you have a supplier on used C4 stuff?

Once again . . .... awesome design & I look forward to seeing more of your ideas come to life.
The rack can be either power or manual... it has a custom width center to center on the inner tie rod length. It's still a MII design, just lengthened in the middle a couple inches. If you go manual you can also choose either a short or long pinion... that's the steering shaft that comes out of the rack.

For the C4 components, I do have a good source. Just PM me when you want to do some window shopping or actual shopping and I will get you the info... really reasonable prices.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #119
layedoutnoma

what brand is the rack? i need a custom width one for my c10..
Old 09-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #120
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
With the steering wheel! All joking aside... I know you're not the biggest fan of the front track width being "too narrow"... and I too think there is a point of it being "too narrow". The track width is "narrow enough" to allow the wheels to be turned without contacting the fender and allows for 3" of compression at ride height before the tire would contact. The camber curve built into the design is much more aggressive than the stock geometry on these trucks, this too pulls the top of the tire inward as the suspension compresses, creating even more clearance.
Makes sense. One problem with a tighter arc in the control arms, however, is that you get up on the edge of the tire very quickly. That's not such a big deal when you're just dumping the bags in the parking lot, but you get hit with this same issue when you're driving... so you get lots of wear on the corner of the tire, and the bump steer can get pretty aggressive. I think the real "solution" is a complex cantilevered upper A-arm setup, that gives you the "tuck" you have with your tighter geometry, but that keeps the wheel vertical center more nearly vertical. Let me know when you get that engineered out
Old 09-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #121
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Makes sense. One problem with a tighter arc in the control arms, however, is that you get up on the edge of the tire very quickly. That's not such a big deal when you're just dumping the bags in the parking lot, but you get hit with this same issue when you're driving... so you get lots of wear on the corner of the tire, and the bump steer can get pretty aggressive. I think the real "solution" is a complex cantilevered upper A-arm setup, that gives you the "tuck" you have with your tighter geometry, but that keeps the wheel vertical center more nearly vertical. Let me know when you get that engineered out

I have a couple of "complex cantilevered" designs along with both push and pull-rod style mechanisms... only problem with those are the cost... if you want to pay $10K for a tricked out suspension or $20K for a tube chassis jump in line... I am booked out for a year. Only thing is the idea behind a production piece is affordability and quality at the perfect blend.

As for the geometry on the Dropmember C4... no worries about bumpsteer, there is less than .1 degree toe through the entire suspension cycle!!! That's a tighter tolerance than production vehicles. As for camber, It does follow a tighter arc... that's the idea... performance suspension, such as this, requires more camber to allow improved handeling and cornering. Let's say under "normal" driving conditions the wheel will compress 2-2.5" (that's pretty realistic) well camber gain at 2.25" is 1.225 degrees camber... not a ton, enough for a drast improvement from stock, and it won't be any harder on the tires than let's say a C4 Corvette . Will they wear faster than stock geometry would allow... probably a little... if you're taking adavntage of the increased performance!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #122
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
performance suspension, such as this, requires more camber to allow improved handeling and cornering.
I understand the expense, and that being the limiting factor in (anything) a production piece. And I appreciate the quality of your work, and you being in demand. What I'm not sure of is whether the market for dropmembers and related is actually "performance" oriented. Maybe it's just this board... but most seem to just want low... not better cornering, etc. If they can get that for free, they won't turn it down, BTW .

Having said all that, I may have to start saving my pennies for a dropmember of my own. Limiter on my hooptey right now is the trailing arm xmember, but once I resolve that, I'll be back to the same LCA problem as everyone else.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #123
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
I understand the expense, and that being the limiting factor in (anything) a production piece. And I appreciate the quality of your work, and you being in demand. What I'm not sure of is whether the market for dropmembers and related is actually "performance" oriented. Maybe it's just this board... but most seem to just want low... not better cornering, etc. If they can get that for free, they won't turn it down, BTW .

Having said all that, I may have to start saving my pennies for a dropmember of my own. Limiter on my hooptey right now is the trailing arm xmember, but once I resolve that, I'll be back to the same LCA problem as everyone else.
The nice thing about the Dropmember(s) is that it caters to both these markets. Those who want LOW can purchase either one and get it, while those who want PERFORMANCE can buy the Dropmember C4 and get theirs... slap some coil-overs on this thing and look out! And of course, those who want PERFORMANCE and LOW can buy the Dropmember C4, throw some shockwaves on it and have the best of both worlds.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #124
Rokcrln

Quote:
Let's say under "normal" driving conditions the wheel will compress 2-2.5" (that's pretty realistic) well camber gain at 2.25" is 1.225 degrees camber... not a ton, enough for a drast improvement from stock, and it won't be any harder on the tires than let's say a C4 Corvette . Will they wear faster than stock geometry would allow... probably a little... if you're taking adavntage of the increased performance!
So we can go low, drive faster into the turns and keep it under control doing it and if the down side is a new set of tires every now and then oh well! I find that more than worth it. Right now I have three sets of tires that were changed out for different sizes not because they were worn. I would rather wear them out passing the Tuners any day.

This has me thinking a 2wd 70 with C4 stuff might be fun

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 09-07-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #125
tom71

how bout a blazer with c4 stuff ??? thats gonna be my next project !
97 fiance mobile