The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2008, 03:56 AM   #26
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

Re: $999 for a Dropmember

I'm about to drop my truck off to get the air suspension done in the next 3 - 4 weeks as soon as the shop has room for me.. I was going to do a traditional "z" but now I really have to reconsider...

Last edited by Bazooka; 09-17-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #27
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

That's an amazing deal Nate. You should throw out a cost analysis for those that are considering a shop doing their Z vs your new low price Dropmember. I think the costs would be very similar if not in favor of the Dropmemeber.

No doubt it would look better than a Z, and be more structurally sound. It will also help with the resale value of your truck. I know I would much rather buy a truck that the frame had not been cut unless I could verify the integrity of the build.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #28
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Sure would be nice to have a reply to my question

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #29
68laydout

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
That's an amazing deal Nate. You should throw out a cost analysis for those that are considering a shop doing their Z vs your new low price Dropmember. I think the costs would be very similar if not in favor of the Dropmemeber.

No doubt it would look better than a Z, and be more structurally sound. It will also help with the resale value of your truck. I know I would much rather buy a truck that the frame had not been cut unless I could verify the integrity of the build.
This could get ugly, but here goes. Maybe if a shop is doing it, but if you do it yourself there is no way cost is comparable. I just got all the info from Nate on what it takes to get a dropmember installed and if I had the extra cash I would go for it, for sure! Since I'm on a crappy budget I will have to stick with the Z route, which will cost me less than $600 bucks total. Little more work than a DM install, but cheaper no doubt. No comparison in cost and I did not want to start anything here, just stating the facts.
68laydout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #30
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb View Post
Sure would be nice to have a reply to my question
I haven't responded to this particular question yet, because I don't have all the details worked out. I will be offering a little break to supporting members, and will also be offering a discount for "Group Purchases". The details on this will be coming soon...

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #31
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

No vendor fees for life if I can test fit one for my C5 Blazer on my site
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #32
jkaylor68gmc

Nice job nate, got me a presss relese on that there thingy, that dropmemba!
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 7-inch lift on 35 Daily driver
2016 Chevy Tahoe Better halves ride
jkaylor68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #33
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68laydout View Post
This could get ugly, but here goes. Maybe if a shop is doing it, but if you do it yourself there is no way cost is comparable. I just got all the info from Nate on what it takes to get a dropmember installed and if I had the extra cash I would go for it, for sure! Since I'm on a crappy budget I will have to stick with the Z route, which will cost me less than $600 bucks total. Little more work than a DM install, but cheaper no doubt. No comparison in cost and I did not want to start anything here, just stating the facts.
There's no doubt that if you are qualified and able to Z your frame, then the actual money laid out to do the job would be less than a Dropmember conversion. If you were paying a qualified fabricator "time and materials" to do the job, then it would most likely be more affordable to go with the DM.

I don't want to get to deep into the "Z" vs. Dropmember debate, but when comparing ALL the pros and cons to each method (not just price), the Dropmember wins hands down.

I know budget is a concern with the majority of us guys building these trucks, so I will do a quick breakdown on parts and average costs. I do not sell all the parts listed, but will post up a parts/accessories list with descriptions/part numbers/sources to find them. The below prices would be what I consider "average" with room for savings if you're a savvy shopper.

Dropmember $999
Shipping on DM $100
Bags $150
Shocks $75
Rack and pinion $175
Steering linkage $280
Power Steering lines $65

My math says that's just under $1850. This price would be the bare essentials to get you rolling. And I wouldn't be surprised if there was $100 to save by spending some time on-line. Drop spindles and possibly tubular arms MIGHT be necesary to lay frame depending on your tire diameter.

Here's the parts list:
Dropmember Accessory List

I have put this list together to assist my customers in purchasing the necessary components to complete the installation of the Dropmember.

Dropmember: $999

Includes: Main cross-member; inner frame support plates; upper control arm/bag mounts; motor mounts (specify SBC, BBC, GENIII); transmission cross-member; shock mounts; billet tie-rod ends and chromoly heims w/hardware; billet rack and pinion mounting bushings; rack notches (weld-in frame for tie-rod clearance); shock mounts; all hardware necessary to install the Dropmember.

Below is a picture of the new Dropmember design. The main design change is found in the lower control arm mount. I have eliminated the billet mounting blocks found on the original Dropmember, and gone to a machined saddle that utilizes the factory style U-bolt to secure the lower control arm shaft.

Rack and Pinion Steering:

The rack and pinion used with the Dropmember is from a 1979-1993 Mustang application. Both power and manual rack and pinion units can be purchased through Unisteer Performance (www.unisteer.com). Also, 22-201F is a Parts Master part number that can easily be cross referenced by any local parts house, saving up to $100.

Steering Linkage 63-72:

You will need three u-joints, a support bearing, and steering shaft to connect your column to your rack and pinion. Steering linkage and joints can be sourced through Borgeson (www.borgeson.com)

Column end u-joint:

On the 63-66 factory column you will need a 3/4smooth bore by 3/4DD u-joint.

On the 67-72 factory column you will need a 3/4-36spline by 3/4DD u-joint.

Middle U-joint:

The middle joint of the linkage is a 3/4DD by 3/4DD u-joint.

Rack and Pinion U-joint:

If using a power rack and pinion, the u-joint for the rack end is a 3/4-36 x 3/4DD u-joint.

If using a manual rack and pinion, the u-joint for the rack end is a 9/16-26 x 3/4DD.

Shaft Support Bearing:

The shaft support bearing is a spherical rod-end, also known as a heim-joint.

Steering Shaft:

At least 18” of 3/4DD shaft will be needed.

Steering Linkage 73-87:

You will need three u-joints, a support bearing, and steering shaft to connect your column to your rack and pinion. Steering linkage and joints can be sourced through Borgeson (www.borgeson.com)

Column end u-joint:

On the 73-87 factory columns there are two possible options:
1"DD x 3/4DD
1"-48 x 3/4DD

Middle U-joint:

The middle joint of the linkage is a 3/4DD by 3/4DD u-joint.

Rack and Pinion U-joint:

If using a power rack and pinion, the u-joint for the rack end is a 3/4-36 x 3/4DD u-joint.

If using a manual rack and pinion, the u-joint for the rack end is a 9/16-26 x 3/4DD.

Shaft Support Bearing:

The shaft support bearing is a spherical rod-end, also known as a heim-joint

Steering Shaft:

At least 18” of 3/4DD shaft will be needed.

Power Steering Lines:

Power Steering lines are best sourced through Borgeson (www.borgeson.com) part#925102.

Shocks:

Monroe 32245 or equivalent are used with the Dropmember.

Bags:

Slam Specialties RE7 air springs are recommended for use with the Dropmember. A Firestone bag will allow approx. ½” more drop.

Control Arms:

The Dropmember was designed to be used with Air Ride Technologies Strong Arms, however, factory arms can be used. 63-72 control arms may be used with slight modifications for clearance; and 73-87 factory arms with no modifications for clearance. Factory lower arms will need to be modified to accept an air bag (i.e. bag plate or cup). We do offer a bag plate that bolts to the top of the lower control arm.

Headers:

When running a Small Block Chevy motor, Hooker headers part# 2466HKR work excellent
When running an LS1 or GenIII motor, I have had customers run 2000 F-body headers from Hooker.

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #34
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 View Post
No vendor fees for life if I can test fit one for my C5 Blazer on my site
Sounds like a deal.... you pay shipping to you, and then shipping to me when you send it back!

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #35
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Hmmmmm, well my build is approaching 4 years now, will you
still be in business in 2020? (So I can send it back to you)
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #36
see ten
WTB this ad

I gotta finish her 54 first.........

Just give me some time!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #37
Tony@AirRideTech

Nice piece Nate..... I still dont understand knowing what materials and labor costs these days, how you can build that crossmember and sell it for that and still keep the lights on. Super nice piece.....
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #38
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@AirRideTech View Post
Nice piece Nate..... I still dont understand knowing what materials and labor costs these days, how you can build that crossmember and sell it for that and still keep the lights on. Super nice piece.....
I have my helper stand outside the bay door with a big mirror and reflect light into the shop. We're not very productive when it's overcast.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #39
Sweet 85 C10
OG

Hey Nate! WOW this is good news for me and my wife man, I can get my truck done and then I can finally get her engagement ring! LOL WOW now it makes it easier to afford! Please keep it at this price for at least the next couple months!

Last edited by Sweet 85 C10; 09-17-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Sweet 85 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #40
68laydout

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
I don't want to get to deep into the "Z" vs. Dropmember debate, but when comparing ALL the pros and cons to each method (not just price), the Dropmember wins hands down.

No doubt about it. If I had the money I would get the DM...maybe one of these days.
68laydout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:42 AM   #41
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post

I agree 100%! Now I am a certified welder (20+yrs) and I have been fabricating chassis for almost as long as well as major body mods. I also have a full laser sited frame table right in the center of my shop so doing a perfect Z'd frame is easy for my with out a doubt. The reason I mention this is just to show I have the 1) ability, 2) the tools, 3) the shop space and time but what did I do Monday but send my $1099 (DM + shipping) off to Nate for my 3/4ton 4dr Burb DropMenber

One key point people are forgetting is not only the price is great but also you get much better handling than a Z'd frame. The geometry has been changed just a bit to account for the vehicle being lowered so much as well as the rack and pinion being added and that is a biggy! Stock trucks have 6 steering /control arm joints to all add just a bit of slack to the steering feel even if they are new. With a R&P you now have 2 and this gives a much better feel and response!

I will be doing a How-To write up for the Burb install from start to finish with a 5.3 Vortec and the DropMember just to show how easy it is for anyone wanting to see it done or who has any questions about how easy it really is!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #42
revn67

oh hell yeah!! i just found this post and im am getting one by next month now! i have the bags and art control arms...so all i would need is the rack, all the steering stuff, and power steering lines..this is great! i'm down with a group buy as well if anyone is gonna order one in a month...

"finish your beer, theres sober kids in india!"
revn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #43
Longstep70

I wish these were applicable for the 55-59 years. Nate, is the narrower track of the earlier year the stumbling block for transferring the tech over to the earlier models?
-Andy
Longstep70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #44
Kontrol Phreaks

Quote:
I have my helper stand outside the bay door with a big mirror and reflect light into the shop. We're not very productive when it's overcast.

Being out in Arizona, does Porterbuilt supply their sign worker with sun block ? Being that it's always 1 million degrees out there I would hope so.

P.S. If you line the interior roof with tin foil you might be see better results with the mirror - light reflection into the work space. Just a suggestion.

Kontrol Phreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #45
mullit

whats the wait period for a drop member, im down for one right now, for a 90 burb with a small block
mullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #46
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullit View Post
whats the wait period for a drop member, im down for one right now, for a 90 burb with a small block
I was told I should see mine shipping out in about 1 1/2-2wks!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #47
mullit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I was told I should see mine shipping out in about 1 1/2-2wks!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Thanks
mullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #48
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullit View Post
I have had several orders placed within the last couple of days, putting our build time right at two weeks. That means it should arrive to your doorstep within three.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #49
shaneo2112RUSH

Quote:
or you can invest in these for the guys at the shop!!
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #50
Tony@AirRideTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontrol Phreaks View Post
Being out in Arizona, does Porterbuilt supply their sign worker with sun block ? Being that it's always 1 million degrees out there I would hope so.

P.S. If you line the interior roof with tin foil you might be see better results with the mirror - light reflection into the work space. Just a suggestion.

I dont think AZ is quite as liberal as Ca is yet. I think employers can still get away with " YOUR the one that applied for THIS job " attitiude and require the worker to supply their own........
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote