The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #26
Alvin
Never Done?

Re: My whole braking system - thinking out loud

You've got my attention.

*subscribed*

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #27
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
I just ordered a set of the Wilwood's off of eBay last night. You are more than welcome to use them for a mock up.
Atta-boy!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #28
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I might just take you up on that offer. Yes I can position the caliper so that closely matches the front calipers.

I've been doing some research on the Wilwood calipers. The ones for the narrower rotors, are spec'd for a 1.04" thick rotor. The Impala SS rear rotors measure .790 thick, which is quite a bit thinner.... .250 to be exact. As of now I haven't been able to find any info on the allowable stroke of the pistons in the Wilwood calipers. I may just need to give Wilwood a call. I don't know if the thinner rotors would be an issue or not, but .250 thinner seems like a bit much. An optional rotor to look at would be the lincoln rotors. They have the 5x5 bolt pattern, are only .060 smaller in diameter than the Impala SS rotors, but they are .955 thick. At this point they look like a better match to me. The one drawback to the lincoln rotors, is that the axle flanges need to be turned down to fit inside the hat of the rotor. What do you guys think?

Quote:
I just ordered a set of the Wilwood's off of eBay last night. You are more than welcome to use them for a mock up.

Believe it or not this leads me to another question... I noticed on the current brackets you make it looks like it mounts the caliper at the 3 o'clock position. Is it possible to clock it slightly upwards so it "matches" the position of the front caliper?

Thanks a million for getting something going on this...
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #29
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

I did not realize that the Impala rotors were that thin. I had assumed (incorrectly) that they were 1.25.

Are the Lincoln rotors available in drilled/slotted? Whats the application? Turning an axle down is not a problem on my end.

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 03-23-2010 at 04:31 PM.
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #30
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yeah those would work, but they are just an aluminum single piston caliper. Just an aluminum version of an OEM caliper I believe. Weren't you looking at the dual piston calipers originally?

I believe the lincoln rotors are available drilled and/or slotted. I'll have a look.

Last edited by Captainfab; 03-23-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #31
JW76

One piece of related/non related info... the lincoln rotors i bought for my conversion are left and right specific and the inside diameter is different from left to right. I wasn't thinking when I turned down the axle flanges and only checked one rotor. The other didn't fit.... not sure if anyone will have this problem when they do a brake conversion using the lincoln rotors... just something to note. other than that the rotors are good.
JW76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #32
smashingchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Yeah those would work, but they are just an aluminum single piston caliper. Just an aluminum version of an OEM caliper I believe. Weren't you looking at the dual piston calipers originally?
I realized after I posted them what they were and went back and removed the link from my post... they are not what I'm after.

4Runner Build
Old 03-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #33
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Hmmmm I've only done one conversion with the lincoln rotors and both sides were the same ID on the rotors. Yes they are lefts and rights. It's just the difference in the direction of the internal ribs for cooling purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW76 View Post
One piece of related/non related info... the lincoln rotors i bought for my conversion are left and right specific and the inside diameter is different from left to right. I wasn't thinking when I turned down the axle flanges and only checked one rotor. The other didn't fit.... not sure if anyone will have this problem when they do a brake conversion using the lincoln rotors... just something to note. other than that the rotors are good.
Here I found some slotted Lincoln rotors.....

http://catalog.brakewarehouse.com/Sh...Rotors&mode=PA
Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #34
JW76

i assumed it was just the fins, but only one of the rotors fits and it fits on both sides... the other doesn't fit either side... and i had the axle flanges turned in a machine shop... so im positive the flanges are the same. it could just be the ones i purchased. i bought them at carquest. they were their premium grade. my thoughts were to just get another one of the rotors that fits.... but this might not be the best idea. I apologize if this is off topic. just trying to help
Old 03-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #35
smashingchuck

Looks like Summit has them as well, and they are the same as the ones I planned on running for the front, and a decent price.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-DSEP-5433R/

4Runner Build
Old 03-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #36
JW76

those summit ones say bolt spacing 5 x 4.5
Old 03-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #37
smashingchuck

Well I looked them up for several different years and it came up with the same one every time... wouldn't be the first time Summit had the incorrect info on their web site. I'm *guessing* it really is 5x5.

http://www.wheeltool.com/info/5bolt.html

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 03-23-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #38
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I went to Summit and changed the application to the MarkV which is the correct application for the 5 x 5 rotors and they are listing the same part number as the ones for the LTD which are 5 x 4.5. Might have to give Summit a call and see what's up.....
Old 03-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #39
JW76

it said 4.5 when i clicked on the application section there... but mine are 5x5 and they are for the 77 lincoln mark v so if those are for the same car then i would say that they are 5x5... a little confusion here and there keeps it interesting!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #40
smashingchuck

So are you going to call them? I've got the time right now.

4Runner Build
Old 03-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #41
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you have the time go ahead, I've got to get going to an appointment. Let us know what they say......

Quote:
So are you going to call them? I've got the time right now.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #42
smashingchuck

Quote:
If you have the time go ahead, I've got to get going to an appointment. Let us know what they say......
They said that that is the incorect rotor for that application...

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 03-23-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #43
smashingchuck

Anybody know anything about these guys? The website seems kind of hookey, the prices aren't the best, but hey do make both applications (78 c10 for the front and 77 Mark V for the rear). I have yet to find a company that makes both rotors in a slotted/drilled set up.
http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...0410&ad=direct

I can also get the Power Slots for both the front and rear through Summit. They are $125 more (for all 4) for the Power Slots compared to the ones listed at the top.

Anybody ever have any trouble with drilled rotors cracking? It seems the more I read about these high performance rotors the more I think I might just want to go with a slotted one.

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 03-23-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #44
staggerd86c-10
Squarebody Aficionado

ok, i have a question about this because ever since i saw those d52 claipers i have had the same idea about using them for the front and rear of my truck. I would like something like the blackbird kit for the rear of my truck but all i would need also is the brackets for the calipers. I have always thought that the blackbird kit used the same front rotors in the rear and clocked the calipers just like the fronts. I dont care too much about the slotted/drilled rotors but i do want a 4 wheel disc brake conversion.
staggerd86c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #45
jlaird

Quote:
Anybody ever have any trouble with drilled rotors cracking? It seems the more I read about these high performance rotors the more I think I might just want to go with a slotted one.
Have you ever had slotted rotors? I had the powerslots on the front of a 97f150 and after a while, they started making a humming noise and created slight feedback you could feel in the steering wheel. They weren't warped or anything like that, it was just a factor of the slots. I didn't like them which is why I'm going with regular rotors on my project. Plus aesthetically, i don't think they look good on our older style truck. Just my 2 cents.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #46
smashingchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
Have you ever had slotted rotors? I had the powerslots on the front of a 97f150 and after a while, they started making a humming noise and created slight feedback you could feel in the steering wheel. They weren't warped or anything like that, it was just a factor of the slots. I didn't like them which is why I'm going with regular rotors on my project. Plus aesthetically, i don't think they look good on our older style truck. Just my 2 cents.
Nope I've never had anything that had slotted rotors... Sounds like I might want to steer clear of them all together.

4Runner Build
Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #47
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have found another rotor that might work on the rear. It's the front rotor for an AWD Astro Van. They are 11.61" diameter, 1.29" thick and they have the 5 x 5" bolt pattern. The only drawback is that they are kind of deep.....1" deeper than the Lincoln or Impala SS rotors. So that may present some issues in fabricating a caliper bracket, don't know just yet. I have a parts Astro here that I'm going to pull a rotor off of tomorrow so I can mock it up and see how it looks. Do you guys have any thoughts on this thicker rotor?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #48
SCOTI

Quote:
I have found another rotor that might work on the rear. It's the front rotor for an AWD Astro Van. They are 11.61" diameter, 1.29" thick and they have the 5 x 5" bolt pattern. The only drawback is that they are kind of deep.....1" deeper than the Lincoln or Impala SS rotors. So that may present some issues in fabricating a caliper bracket, don't know just yet. I have a parts Astro here that I'm going to pull a rotor off of tomorrow so I can mock it up and see how it looks. Do you guys have any thoughts on this thicker rotor?
That rotor sounds promising. Kudos to you CF for pushing stuff like this forward & possibly helping out the rest of this group in their search.

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #49
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:

Believe it or not this leads me to another question... I noticed on the current brackets you make it looks like it mounts the caliper at the 3 o'clock position. Is it possible to clock it slightly upwards so it "matches" the position of the front caliper?
Thanks a million for getting something going on this...
I'm interested in these brackets also.

My Belltech spindles seem to put the caliper at the 3:00 position.
I will post a pic later tonight.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #50
smashingchuck

oppps... I was thinking they were mounted slightly higher than that. See what happens when your shop isn't at your house?

4Runner Build