The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2004, 11:27 PM   #1
Tonasket Bill

Question HELP! I've got to put in a new window motor

Took my 1983 Suburban in for its yearly transmission maintenance. For some reason they decided to put down the driver's side window and it decided not to go back up . Brought the vehicle home on a typical grey, wet November day in Seattle with the window stuck in the down position, no garage, street parking only. Took the door panels off and after a number of frustrating hours troubleshooting the system I was able to determine that power was getting to the motor. Very hard to do that with the windown down. I was able to give the motor a good quick smack with the ballpeen hammer and up it went.

Got the replacement motor and am ready to go to work. Naturally the GM shop manual would be a great resource if I knew what I was doing and just needed a reminder and the Chilton's useless. Anybody got any experience with this particular maneuver? Any tricks, tips, warnings, step-by-step instructions anyone would care to share with a determined amateur, who knows just enough to be really dangerous, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Tonasket Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:53 AM   #2
atomickat

Window Woes

I've been there! Let me preface this by saying that when you buy a motor (AC Delco, or other name brand) It should come with instructions explaining the procedure. If your motor didn't, maybe go to a parts store and take a peek at a set of instructions. Two more pieces of advice; 1) Always install a new regulator @ the same time or buy the motor/regulator already attached to each other. (You have to drill out and reattach the old regulator anyway, and it's just as old as the motor) 2) I would replace the driver side at the same time and get it over with! This is what I remember, pull off all bolts, screws
etc. holding the track. You are actually going to pull the window out by sliding it off the rollers, rotating it 45 degrees and sliding it up through the window opening. once that is done, remove all bolts holding the motor and slide it out (the regulator will be attatched). Here's where it gets tricky. You have to drill and tap the regulator gear into the frame This will ensure that the regulator won't become (unsprung) when you detach the motor. Drill out the rivets that are attaching the regulator to the motor ( the new motor should come with some small nut and screws to replace the rivets) Once you have the motor reattached pull out the temp. "holding" screw and put it back together. I hope this helped a little. At least it may make some mechanic so frustrated, reading this, that they will reply with an simpler explanation.

That's all ............. Carl T. 1982 3/4 4x4 454 TH400
atomickat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:03 PM   #3
Tonasket Bill

Thanks

Thanks Carl, a mechanic buddy of mine and I are going to tackle it tomorrow. I printed out a copy of your post for him and we'll see how it goes.
Tonasket Bill is offline   Reply With Quote