The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
1972ChevyCheyenne

Dash Questions

Tonight I started taking apart my dash to clean it and get it ready to go back in if I ever get the cab back from the body shop. Anyway I am taking it apart and behind the speedo I found a light. Its would be about a 3/16 hole through the speedo near the 50mph mark. I assume this is the head light indicator, correct?

Also what do you use to bring back the colour of the needles. I think model paint would be the easiest but is there anything better?

Also the scales on the metal face are rusty? Next to replacing the gauge how is this cleaned up?

Thanks for the help

Jamie
1972ChevyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
1972ChevyCheyenne

Sorry forgot to say it is a 72 cheyenne dash with the 4 guages in the bottom if it makes any difference.

Jamie
1972ChevyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Should be the headlight indicator in the middle

I recall everyone using orange model paint on the needles.

and have no idea other than using the white face covers.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:31 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

That hole would be the high beam indicator. Should have a red lens in there. Some had a rectangle hole, but the round one is way more common.
I usually prefer to use spray paint. Chevy orange is a good color IMO, but not anywhere near the red-orange that they are supposed to be.
As for the rust...You are pretty much screwed. There is no way to remove it without harming the paint and the lines, and while you could get the white overlays (could even talk them into making black ones) the rust would bubble up under the overlay in very little time.
If you were to post a guages wanted post in the parts section, I'd imagine you could score some fairly cheap. And if you are lucky, whomever you get teh guages from may know how to set the odometer to the same reading as your original unit.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote