The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
SaveRustySqBodys

1987 V3500 Build

EDIT: I searched before, but couldn't find the forum build sub-section. I have now found it, but can't figure out how to move my own thread. If a staff member could move this thread to the correct location that would be much appreciated! Thank-you! and my apologies

I will try my best to update this when I can. Like most build threads this will be slow.

My plans are to get it rust free and mechanically sound. Basically freshen most things up. It will be mismatched for a while until I can paint it. Going to leave it overall mostly stock. Debating on leaving it stock height vs a 4 inch lift on 33s.

Okay hello all. I bought a 1987 GMC V3500 SRW (I'm going to refer to it as K30 same thing) roughly 2 years ago off craigslist. I think it was posted for maybe 1-2 days before I jumped on it. I bought it in Hyannis Mass, which as I recall was roughly 2 1/2 hours from my place. I forgot the distance..it was something between 110-150 miles away so it was a little drive. I called the guy in the evening, he said he had 2 people coming the next day so my dad and I hoped in the car and drove up there and by 7 or 8 I had purchased a gem in the rough... a 1987 TBI 454 Th400 Np205 single wheel dana 60 front and 14 bolt FF rear. Truck used to be all black and at some point the bed was swapped for a Stahl utility body.

BACKSTORY:

The guy the person before me bought it from was the one to remove the Stahl body and fisher plow setup and then put a rust free single tank bed on.....

This was basically a 1 family truck up until 2009 with Rolane Transportation. I messaged the owner of Rolane, and he said his Uncle bought the truck brand new. He said after a few years he sold it to the sister company (same family owned) which was in Waste Management bussiness. It was at that point the Utility body was installed. Many years later the father (of the person I was messaging) put the fisher plow on it and painted it gray. They used it as service truck and plow truck.

So little under 2 years go by as I watched in frustration till I was able to really do anything with it. I wanted to use a garage bay at the house for the build. I didn't want to tear into it outside in the dirt. So I fiddled with it here and there, but not much.

First couple pics are from about 2 years ago when I bought the truck in Hyannis
Attached Images

Last edited by SaveRustySqBodys; 04-28-2018 at 12:39 AM.
SaveRustySqBodys is offline   Reply With Quote