The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2004, 03:01 PM   #1
bigstoys
*PIMP*

spin off from "lowered shocks"

here's my story. i bought the truck already lowered with heated coils front and back. truck sits pretty low. i'm going to buy and all new set up eventually bags and a disc brake set up. but in the mean time i want to buy new shocks to help the ride. i think the truck is at about a 4" in the front and maybe a 4-6" in the rear. who has the shocks im looking for or better yet who is actually using them and what works. thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

If you are going to use air bags on the future, you might as well relocate you front shocks now. The airbags will not let you put your shocks in the stock location (up inside the coil) so you mount them behind the A-arms. The upper mount is welded to the frame and the lower to the lower A-arm. You can buy a kit or make the mounts and determine the shock length yourself. Then, when you do the bags, the shock money is not wasted because they will still work.
As for the rear shocks you may just have to take measurements and cross-reference them to some shorter at the local auto supply store.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:15 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

He said heated coils front and rear. That means his truck is a 72 or earlier. He does not have to relocate anything concerning the shocks to do airbags.

I run a deep drop on mine and KYB short shocks from Early Classics front and rear. I couldn't be happier with them.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter

Notice where the factory shock mounts are on this 70 model.

It allows air bag installation in place of the coil spring without messing with the shocks.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:31 PM   #5
LONGHAIR

That's right, I forgot. The inside mount didn't start until '73.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:33 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter

The inside spring shock mount started in 88 on the full size trucks.

The 73-87 suspension is basically identical to the 72 and earlier one.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:48 PM   #7
72LOWBOY

I've used KYBs for years and they are great. If you are looking for a more stiffer ride than I would opt for Doetsch Tech shocks. I think summit racing still carries them.
72 Chevy LWB leaf spring rear,SBC 385 Fast Burn,Art Carr built 700r4,3.73 Eaton posi,one piece windows,lowered 4/5.5, 60/40 seat, shaved turn signals,shaved reverse lights,shaved stake pockets, stainless steel 21gall in rear, c-notched, vintage air,ps,pb,currently doing body work.
68 Camaro conv.327,turbo 350,pb,disc brakes,built it for the wife
38 Chevy Coupe on the back burner

LIFE IS GOOD! SMILE
72LOWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
LONGHAIR

I must have S-10 on the brain today
Old 06-30-2004, 06:12 PM   #9
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

bigtoys: get your truck at ride height. measure the existing shocks from eye to eye for length. drop shocks are nothing more than what you have, just different length, mor or less. just get the shock with the same type of ends and you're set. best to set the shock to where about 60% of the rod is exposed at ride height. hope this helps.

have fun!

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS daily driver
1956 Chevy Stepside rodstoration on winter hold
ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:26 PM   #10
bigstoys
*PIMP*

the doetsch tech shocks through summitt!!!! i've seen those in the online catologe i was thinking of buy them but they have very little detail like front/rear and what the two ends look like. if you have purchased these can you give me the proper part number so there is no mistake. also with these shorter shocks do i need to use a lowering block for the rear. also does that actually lower the truck anymore. i see ad's that use 4" drop springs for the rear and 2" blocks and they call it a 6" drop.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:37 PM   #11
72LOWBOY

bigstoys your best bet is to give summit a call and tell them how much of a drop you have and how it was done and they'll set you up. phone #1-800-230-3030. I've had these shocks for four years now and no problems. Good luck
72 Chevy LWB leaf spring rear,SBC 385 Fast Burn,Art Carr built 700r4,3.73 Eaton posi,one piece windows,lowered 4/5.5, 60/40 seat, shaved turn signals,shaved reverse lights,shaved stake pockets, stainless steel 21gall in rear, c-notched, vintage air,ps,pb,currently doing body work.
68 Camaro conv.327,turbo 350,pb,disc brakes,built it for the wife
38 Chevy Coupe on the back burner

LIFE IS GOOD! SMILE
72LOWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:43 PM   #12
bigstoys
*PIMP*

what kind of improvement am i supposed to see. right now when i hit a bad pothole it feels bad. it's too the point that i actually drive with my magnifying glass so i can make sure i don't hit a big bump when i drive. is this because A. my coils are heated and B. the shocks are not doing there job cause they are too long and are bottoming out.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:33 PM   #13
Tx Firefighter

Yes, it's your heated springs.

I have the Early Classic 6 inch springs in the rear and a 2 inch drop spring in the front. I drive the truck hard and fast without fear. It rides exceptionally.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:28 PM   #14
XXL
Seņor Member

Actually, I wouldn't waste money on shocks until you get the coil situation worked out. Shocks aren't supposed to BE the ride... the springs are for that. If you buy shocks now, you'll wear them out prematurely if they have to contend with flaky springs.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:06 PM   #15
LONGHAIR

I have to agree with XXL on this one.
The heated coils are just way to stiff and the shocks cannot cure that. Shocks are only there to take the natural bounce out of the springs. They will not be able to do much for your ride problems. When the suspension is really stiff the shocks don't do as much anyway. Stiff springs allow less travel and don't bounce as much.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:55 PM   #16
1972C10
Account Suspended

You can heat leafs BTW ive seen it done where they were heated behind the pack and they kinda folded up but still had travel.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:51 AM   #17
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972C10
You can heat leafs BTW ive seen it done where they were heated behind the pack and they kinda folded up but still had travel.
Springs are made out of what is called "spring steel." It is a specialized metal that is particularly good at retaining 'memory' of its intended shape. This is why it works well as a... spring.

Heating steel changes its molecular identity, and so heating spring steel does the same. If heated incorrectly (that is, without specialized equipment and/or knowledge), you get bad springs. Sure you can heat leafs. But if you heat them incorrectly they have the potential to break at the heat point. That is because they will no longer be springy at that point but they will still be asked by the suspension to move back and forth. Bend a piece of steel back and forth enough times and it breaks.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:06 AM   #18
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Yes, it's your heated springs.

I have the Early Classic 6 inch springs in the rear and a 2 inch drop spring in the front. I drive the truck hard and fast without fear. It rides exceptionally.
This is what I like to hear/see b/c I just ordered the Early Classic 4/6 drop kit

-Homer Simpson
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 05:58 PM   #19
1972C10
Account Suspended

Yeah heating anyspring isnt a great idea I was just stating that it can be done.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote