The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #51
BIGglaSS

Re: 69 Burb speaker/amp/sub suggestions needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
My choice would probably be something from AC/DC like Back in black.....
That'll work. Music is a personal taste. What you listen to, should sound good. Popular "sound quality" songs on the forums for tuning: Dire Straits, Money for Nothing. Toto - Rosanna. I think Tool makes any system sound good. Pink Floyd, Comfortably Numb.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #52
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
That'll work. Music is a personal taste. What you listen to, should sound good. Popular "sound quality" songs on the forums for tuning: Dire Straits, Money for Nothing. Toto - Rosanna. I think Tool makes any system sound good. Pink Floyd, Comfortably Numb.
Sounds like we have similar music tastes, .
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #53
BIGglaSS

I like just about any music genre/era, but mostly listen to rock, metal, alternative. Honestly, I don't care for Toto, it has never been played on my stereo. I'm going to have to play it to see what all the hype is about. All TOOL albums sound good. A few more of my SQ fav's that sound great:
Tool - The Pot
Arctic Monkeys - Arabella
Chili Peppers - Dark Necessities
Highly Suspect - My name is human
Mastodon - The Sparrow
Old 04-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #54
Hart_Rod

I've got the rear part pretty much done. Working on getting the front component speakers mounted and installed. Will probably be a while on this as space is very limited...
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #55
Hart_Rod

Quote:
I like just about any music genre/era, but mostly listen to rock, metal, alternative. Honestly, I don't care for Toto, it has never been played on my stereo. I'm going to have to play it to see what all the hype is about. All TOOL albums sound good. A few more of my SQ fav's that sound great:
Tool - The Pot
Arctic Monkeys - Arabella
Chili Peppers - Dark Necessities
Highly Suspect - My name is human
Mastodon - The Sparrow

Started the install on the passenger side kick panel last night. The best method I found to get a good fitment was to make a cardboard template of the RetroSound panel and then trim it to fit your truck kick panel. Once it fits, transfer the template to the ABS panel and trim it. The pull vent mount and Velcro in the other two corners will keep it secured. Also, my PrecisionReplacement push on door seal overlaps the panel door edge to help keep it tight also.

Here's a picture of where I'm thinking of mounting the tweeters. I chose here for simplicity of wiring but am open to suggestions or recommendations.

Then I need to find a good location for the component piece, real estate under my dash is a premium....

Once I'm finished with that, I will cover the panel in speaker carpet and call it done.

I took a quick look at the drivers side. It will not even go in there with the dimmer switch in current location so I guess I'm going to be looking at some different options here.....

Also, here's a picture of the amp current configuration. I believe it is setup like you recommended, LMK.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #56
BIGglaSS

Rob, I thought I scared you away with my music choices. But saw in your other thread you were busy.. I listened to Rosanna the other day to see what the fuss was about. Instrumentally, it is actually a cool song with lots going on. But the chorus line is annoying, and now I can't get it out of my head. It is recorded at a lower level, and when I went back to other music had to turn the volume down.

Kick panels are looking good. It looks like you've got the spacers. I've seen comments on this forum before that the dimmer switch doesn't clear. Though I don't know the solution.

On the amp, turn all (3) LEVEL knobs fully counter-clockwise. You will adjust them later.

Set the switch in the top middle to "LPF", and the LPF knob to half-way (12:00).

Lower left switch, rear channel, set to "HPF", and turn the adjacent HPF knob fully counter-clockwise, then turn it up 1/8-1/4 turn. You want this knob to be roughly 100-110hz, but you really can't tell by looking at the dial.

Front channel can stay at "FULL". If you get into tweaking the tuning, you can play with that later.

Don't forget to hook up the supplied x-overs for the front components.

Following you on this build has got me antsy to do the install on my 57 truck. But I'm a long ways from getting that done.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #57
BIGglaSS

Quote:
Then I need to find a good location for the component piece, real estate under my dash is a premium....
If you're talking about the x-overs, you can mount them next to the amp.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #58
Hart_Rod

Quote:
If you're talking about the x-overs, you can mount them next to the amp.
I think I've found a place under the dash which will help with the cable routing. Did you look at the initial amp settings that I posted?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #59
BIGglaSS

Quote:
Did you look at the initial amp settings that I posted?
Yes. You need to make some adjustments. I just posted it a couple minutes before the last message.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #60
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Rob, I thought I scared you away with my music choices. But saw in your other thread you were busy.. I listened to Rosanna the other day to see what the fuss was about. Instrumentally, it is actually a cool song with lots going on. But the chorus line is annoying, and now I can't get it out of my head. It is recorded at a lower level, and when I went back to other music had to turn the volume down.

Kick panels are looking good. It looks like you've got the spacers. I've seen comments on this forum before that the dimmer switch doesn't clear. Though I don't know the solution.

On the amp, turn all (3) LEVEL knobs fully counter-clockwise. You will adjust them later.

Set the switch in the top middle to "LPF", and the LPF knob to half-way (12:00).

Lower left switch, rear channel, set to "HPF", and turn the adjacent HPF knob fully counter-clockwise, then turn it up 1/8-1/4 turn. You want this knob to be roughly 100-110hz, but you really can't tell by looking at the dial.

Front channel can stay at "FULL". If you get into tweaking the tuning, you can play with that later.

Don't forget to hook up the supplied x-overs for the front components.

Following you on this build has got me antsy to do the install on my 57 truck. But I'm a long ways from getting that done.

Quote:
Yes. You need to make some adjustments. I just posted it a couple minutes before the last message.
My apologies. I saw the second post and totally missed the first one. Will make the adjustments this evening. Thanks again!
Old 04-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #61
Hart_Rod

I have the passenger side speaker installed. What a pain! Stretching the carpet was a JOB!!! Will work on the driver side this evening...
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #62
slowcpe

Looking good!
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #63
BIGglaSS

Nicely done!
Old 04-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #64
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Looking good!
Quote:
Nicely done!
Thanks guys! I have the drivers side panel trimmed, I just need to get it covered and install. I also played around with the amp settings a little, but even without having everything completely installed, I can tell this is probably the nicest sounding stereo system I've owned . I really appreciate all your help in this and am looking forward to the finished product, !
Old 04-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #65
Hart_Rod

I got the drivers side kick panel covered and installed and I think I have the E-brake clearance issue figured out. I basically moved the pad over about any inch and it will be bolt on when I'm done. I also think I have a solution for the dimmer switch and will play with that some more this evening...
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2018, 08:54 AM   #66
BIGglaSS

Good thinking on the pedal. I knew there would be a solution, and I'm sure you'll figure something out for the dimmer. Looks good, and hope it sounds great!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #67
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Good thinking on the pedal. I knew there would be a solution, and I'm sure you'll figure something out for the dimmer. Looks good, and hope it sounds great!
Thanks. Luckily I had an extra e-brake pedal to play around with. I think I'm going to use a simple toggle switch on the dimmer. I should be able to mount it where it's easily reachable, and besides it's not like I use it much anyway, . I've played around with the stereo and I think it sounds great!
Old 04-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #68
Hart_Rod

All the sound system install is taken care of. I am currently working on putting everything back together. This has taken longer than it should have because I've taken the time to clean up some of the wiring that I had previously done in a not so clean manner, .
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #69
Hart_Rod

I got most of the interior put back together last night and started playing with the amp adjustments. All I can say is WOW!!! Incredible sound and clarity!!!!

I do have a few questions.

1) On the inside of the components, the only adjustments I saw were being able to change the ohms, I left them in the factory locations. Is that correct?

2. There are to RCA sub outs from the HU. Should I connect them to both of the RCA sub ins into the AMP?

3. On the HU, there are frequency adjustments for BASS/MID/HIGH. Are these the adjustments for the front components?

Will take a picture later. Thanks again for all of the help!
Old 04-29-2018, 07:14 AM   #70
BIGglaSS

You work fast! I'm glad you're happy!

1. The x-over settings should be fine the way they are. Let me double check the manual, but as I recall, the jumper settings will raise or lower the volume of the tweeter +/- 3 db. If the tweet is too bright/harsh, then you can experiment. Otherwise, leave it alone.

2. I think the retro HU sub output is mono, so this doesn't matter. The Amp input has L -R. Usually only one input is needed, so I would say that it will work just fine with only L input. If the RCA cable from HU to amp is only a single, don't worry about it. However, it wouldn't hurt anything to also use the R input if you are using a paired RCA cable.

3. This is a simple 3 band EQ. It adjusts the tonal output of the receiver, or pick a pre-set tune, Classic/Pop/Rock
Old 04-29-2018, 08:57 AM   #71
slowcpe

In the residential world most subwoofers have L and R inputs while most receivers have a single mono output. We have found a Y cable into sub will yield a little more output. If it’s stereo out and stereo in I’d probably connect both.

It would be easy to test see if there’s a difference.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #72
Hart_Rod

Quote:
You work fast! I'm glad you're happy!

1. The x-over settings should be fine the way they are. Let me double check the manual, but as I recall, the jumper settings will raise or lower the volume of the tweeter +/- 3 db. If the tweet is too bright/harsh, then you can experiment. Otherwise, leave it alone.

2. I think the retro HU sub output is mono, so this doesn't matter. The Amp input has L -R. Usually only one input is needed, so I would say that it will work just fine with only L input. If the RCA cable from HU to amp is only a single, don't worry about it. However, it wouldn't hurt anything to also use the R input if you are using a paired RCA cable.

3. This is a simple 3 band EQ. It adjusts the tonal output of the receiver, or pick a pre-set tune, Classic/Pop/Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
In the residential world most subwoofers have L and R inputs while most receivers have a single mono output. We have found a Y cable into sub will yield a little more output. If it’s stereo out and stereo in I’d probably connect both.

It would be easy to test see if there’s a difference.

Seems like it is louder with both sub RCAs plugged in. As far as the Equalizer goes, it gives you the levels for bass/mid/trebble (1-10) and then it brings up frequency adjustments for all 3 after the subwoofer setup menu. This head unit has way to many options..... Just waiting on my custom sub box and the interior will be done! Thanks again for all your help guys!
Old 04-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #73
Hart_Rod

Found these 2 pages in the RetroSound manual. Also pics of sub amp location.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #74
Hart_Rod

Got the emergency brake pedal mount built and back on.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2018, 06:50 PM   #75
slowcpe

I like how the pedal turned out. Might have steal that idea.