The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #1726
67chevy1series

Re: 1967 Chevy CST aka "the loud truck"

If the 67 wasn't so low I would keep the stock truck pan, but since it's static dropped and I cant air it up if there's something in the road I would rather have the oil pan tucked up above the bottom of the crossmember so I decided to go with the ctsv pan. There's some other parts I'm going to use from the car LS motors instead of the truck to make it look cleaner/simpler under the hood as well.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:32 AM   #1727
67chevy1series

Alright so today I stopped by my local GM parts house and got the torque converter bolts and bellhousing bolts so I can get the motor and Trans mated. By the time I came back home UPS had already brought my oil pan "kit", yesterday I had already bought a new oil pan gasket and filter so I got all the torque specs for the oil pick up tube, windage tray, oil pan. I removed the stock pan and I was very pleased to see it was actually pretty clean in there, so I removed all the parts and installed the replacement parts on. Everything went pretty smooth. So I bolted the motor and Trans together and stuck them in the truck. Tomorrow I'm going to tighten all the bolts upandget the oil cooler gasket, my new ps didn't come with the oil cool delete bracket? Plate? Whatever you call that little cast aluminum ock off, so I'll have to reuse the one off my stock oil pan and get a new gasket.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #1728
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Rick, are you going to run the computer and injection with this?

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #1729
C10forDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
Well... Haven't touched the tailgate at all lately, drove the 67 around like normal, other then that haven't done much with it lately... Something followed me home though..not a Chevy and not a truck.. Got a 59 Buick le sabre 4 door bubble top. I know you guys probably think I'm off my hinges but I actually like the 4 door.
I know that there are two few doors on this one, but this survivor should give you some inspiration.

Name:  IMG_20150808_114503_896.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  89.3 KB

Project C10 for Dad
C10forDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #1730
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Rick, are you going to run the computer and injection with this?
Later on down the road I will run either a FAST fuel injection or Holley Terminator EFI, and there's a couple other companies that make this basic "throttle body" style fuel injection that I'm looking into, trying to see which one is the real best bang for the buck. But as of now I'm going to set it up to go that direction but just use a carburetor instead. That way I have more time to figure out how to have EFI but use the stock has tank in the cab and gauges.
I just really like the old 283/327 small block look and I want to keep that look under the hood even though I'm running the LS.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:13 PM   #1731
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10forDad View Post
I know that there are two few doors on this one, but this survivor should give you some inspiration.

Attachment 1476452
I do love the 60 lesabre's as well, there a bit more easy on the eyes to some people as they don't have such crazy lines an styling.

Update for the 67,
I bought and installed the oil cooler delete gasket and I've tightened up all the mounts for the motor and transmission. I've Installed all the torque converter bolts but I can't get them tight because I can't be under the truck tightening and also be sitting in front of the motor holding the crank pulley... I get pretty far for being a one man operation but every once in awhile I'm at standstill. So next time one of my buddy's comes over I'll tightens them up and then reinstall the starter. Also measured out for my driveline so now I can get that done and I started modifying the stock shift linkage, having some issues and I'm going to have to play with it a little and see if I can get it how I want it, but if not I guess I'll just get an aftermarket shift linkage. Other then that I'm gathering all the part number's and figuring out the last little bit of mods.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:22 PM   #1732
67chevy1series

By the way, does anyone know of a set of headers that fit in the c10 with LS1 and are 1-3/4" primeries, 2-1/2" collector and are raw stainless steel? I've been looking all over and I'm not having much luck, either there the right header but they don't fit a c10 or they aren't stainless steel or the primaries are tiny or something like that. Don't really want to make a thread so thought I would ask on my build thread
Old 12-21-2015, 12:36 AM   #1733
67chevy1series

Got some help with keeping the motor from turning over so I can torque down the torque converter bolts to the 45 ftlbs spec, after that I put the starter back on with its little plastic cover and then I ran the wire for the starter solenoid. Then I put the hood back on, and then I drilled the new holes for the transmission crossmember and I tightened that up to the frame and the transmission, so now the motor and Trans are bolted in tight. Also bought the oil for the motor.... It's pretty weird buying synthetic 5w-30 Mobil one for the 67. I'm figuring on putting the oil in close to the time that I'm going to start the motor to help everything be a bit better lubed before first start up. going to slow down a bit with progress for the Christmas, but hopefully pick back up shortly after.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #1734
Ol Blue K20

Sounds like you're making headway. Have a great Christmas Rick.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 12-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #1735
67chevy1series

Thanks you Dale, I hope you have a great Christmas too. How has your k20 coming? It's been awhile since I heard anything about it.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:18 AM   #1736
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Thanks you Dale, I hope you have a great Christmas too. How has your k20 coming? It's been awhile since I heard anything about it.
Thanks Rick, I'm parts rich for Blue... since I discovered that the frame was worse than I thought. I bought a rolling K20 frame a 71 C20 Cheyenne parts truck (that runs and I'm using it around the ranch) and a bunch of other parts. So I will start on it soon. I'm putting my girlfriend's 93 Pacetruck back together. We just had it painted and I've been getting my 97 Z71 dependable and since my K30 blew a motor coming back from the cabin. I've been building it a 454. Besides work I've been busy....plus making my famous apple pie (this years batch broke 105 proof) for the holidays. Going to the cabin and enjoying some snow for the first time in a few years. Did I bore you yet?

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 12-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #1737
67chevy1series

Looks like all the trucks are getting attention! Hopefully the 97 doesnt put up too much of a fuss. I bet you'll have loads of fun with your apple pie up at the cabin haha
Old 12-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #1738
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Looks like all the trucks are getting attention! Hopefully the 97 doesnt put up too much of a fuss. I bet you'll have loads of fun with your apple pie up at the cabin haha
Yeah, they're getting attention. The 97 I inherited, it's a low mileage truck that's been sitting. It's the most expensive free truck...lol. But I think I got it taken care of. It's been 3000 miles without a problem. This years pie is areal butt kicker and I'm already having funwith it. We had some at lunch at work yesterday and not a lot got done after that.....lol

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 12-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #1739
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Later on down the road I will run either a FAST fuel injection or Holley Terminator EFI, and there's a couple other companies that make this basic "throttle body" style fuel injection that I'm looking into, trying to see which one is the real best bang for the buck. But as of now I'm going to set it up to go that direction but just use a carburetor instead. That way I have more time to figure out how to have EFI but use the stock has tank in the cab and gauges.
I just really like the old 283/327 small block look and I want to keep that look under the hood even though I'm running the LS.
The way I understand it is the Edelbrock Standalone Sump Kit can be used with Terminator, FAST and the rest.
http://www.edelbrock.com/media/news/...ve/052214.html

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:59 AM   #1740
67chevy1series

Well no real progress has been made, I finally decided to which FEAD and which spacing I'll use, so since Im going with the truck spacing which I theoretically already have, (LM7 crank pulley) I decided to get the AC mount aquainted with the new motor mounts and swap plates. Now I was very skeptical about cutting into the factory low mount compressor bracket of trimming it, but after not only realizing that the upper rear corner of the bracket is more of a spacer then a stressed mounting location to hold the compressor, and that the compressor itself mounts in that same location, and seeing that plenty of others have also, clearenced/trimmed their bracket, I decided to go ahead and proceed to modify my bracket, at first I started with shaving down some of the webbing of the cast on the backside. I trimmed them down, did a test fit, trimmed them down some more, did a test fit etc.. Then I realized the "webbing" of the casting wasn't only the problem, I completely removed the webbing that was in the same location as the motor mount swap plate, and then proceeded to remove as small of portions of the bracket as I could, and then I realized they were both trying to use a small part of the same space, so I trimmed as little as I could, the AC bracket fits like it was made to have those motor mounts/mount plates now. Also keeping with my 60's small block Chevy look I painted it semi gloss black just like I plan to paint all the pulleys and the other FEAD brackets. Here's the bracket.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #1741
mcbassin
Still Learning

Hey Rick, nice to see a new LS motor going in your truck. I like the oil pan upgrade you did. I wish I had done that on mine too.
Couple of questions,
Why aren't you keeping the stock fuel injection? What's with the AC bracket modification?
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 AM   #1742
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Hey Rick, nice to see a new LS motor going in your truck. I like the oil pan upgrade you did. I wish I had done that on mine too.
Couple of questions,
Why aren't you keeping the stock fuel injection? What's with the AC bracket modification?
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Thanks! After seeing a friends truck in person with the stock truck pan I knew with how low the 67 is that I would need to change the pan in order to help save that oil pan from damage. If I had bags instead of a static drop I may have not worried too much as I could always air it up.

As nice and well as the stock GM fuel injection is and though I feel capable enough to install the computer/harness/ fuel systems required to run FI, I just can't seem to get around the look of them under the hood. It's kind of hard to explain because there are many LS swapped c10's that retain the stock GM Fuel injection that I think are really nice trucks such as yours, I just always liked/wanted that vintage look for my 67, while still having updated components, and I figured if I ever went with an LS then I would try my best to make it still look old school and like a 60's small block, I'm just a fan of that look. I also figured I can still run fuel injection with the old school small block look later on which is probably more of a when then a if.

The AC compressor bracket is clearances for my motor mount swap plates and motor mounts.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:29 AM   #1743
67chevy1series

Ordered my MSD ignition controller. I'm not very fond of the mounting on the front of the intake, so I have another plan, going to build a bracket to mount it somewhere else on the motor. Pictures/progress to come
Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #1744
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
As nice and well as the stock GM fuel injection is and though I feel capable enough to install the computer/harness/ fuel systems required to run FI, I just can't seem to get around the look of them under the hood. It's kind of hard to explain because there are many LS swapped c10's that retain the stock GM Fuel injection that I think are really nice trucks such as yours, I just always liked/wanted that vintage look for my 67, while still having updated components, and I figured if I ever went with an LS then I would try my best to make it still look old school and like a 60's small block, I'm just a fan of that look. I also figured I can still run fuel injection with the old school small block look later on which is probably more of a when then a if.
Trust me, I understand your sentiment. I don't really care for the look of the huge truck intake on the LS style engine. Or the coil packs on top of the valve covers. For me it just came down to reliability and drivability.
I think the look of a stock small/big block is really cool too. I had some bad experiences with carburetors in the past. That also swayed me to go fuel injection.
There is no doubt about the popularity of the modern motors in these old truck too.
They are everywhere....back when I started my build (2009) there weren't near as many of them.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #1745
67chevy1series

Me and you have that in common, I started building the 67 in 2009, and I do agree reliability/drivability goes hand in hand with fuel injection. I remember when I started building my truck there were very very few LS swaps going on with these c10's
Old 01-19-2016, 01:00 AM   #1746
67chevy1series

Finally got my 6LS ignition controller, so I made a bracket to mount the MSD box to the rear of the motor, nothing special just a simple bracket, it mounts to the rear of the passenger head. Other then that I don't have any more progress yet
Old 01-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #1747
Ol Blue K20

Any progress is good. Keep it up.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #1748
67chevy1series

Here's some pics of the bracket it's not super impressive or anything but it should get the job done, still need to prep the bracket and paint it semi gloss black to match all other brackets/pulleys witch the intake, carburetor, and original 67 air cleaner it should be a little in disguise still need to do the pink(power) and yellow (tach) wires and but for the most part it's going to work out fine.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #1749
67chevy1series

Today I went and bought new spark plugs and plug wires, new ones didn't come with the boot heat sheilds so looks like I'll be searching for a used set, I know there not really needed but I would feel more comfortable since I'm going to run headers. Going to get the intake and a new water pump next.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #1750
Ol Blue K20

Baby steps = progress and progress eventually leads to completion

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man