The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2002, 01:24 AM   #26
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Mines still good but handy to know where to go to get a new one in about 100,000 miles!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 02:20 AM   #27
COBALT

Yellow Cheyenne: Yeah I'd bet cash money your theory's right.

Everyone else: I had no problems getting the right parts through NAPA. Other stores didn't have the right parts or good quality I was looking for.

Sometimes you have to take the book away from them. The only problem I had was they tried to give me the wrong rear U-joint for the differential pinion yoke. For me since I have that beefy 10 bolt corp. axle I had to get the larger one. the other two were the standard size probably due to the smaller diameter spicer yokes on the two-piece shaft that supports the 3spd 400 and round support bearing.

I have the same problem communicating every time I go into parts stores. They ask what year/engine is the truck, and I say '69 with an '80 350. That's when the trouble starts. I have to say "NO, that's not correct, because the accesories ARE NOT from '69, they're a hybrid between '69 and '80". We go around and around. I almost have to buy the parts, and then come back later pissed with a receipt in my hand to get a return saying "it doesn't fit".
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 08-09-2002 at 02:24 AM.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 02:44 PM   #28
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Does anyone know what year one piece drive shaft that would work in a 69 swb 350 turbo short tail, coil springs take. Always heard a s/w shaft would work.Any ideas, thanks
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 03:35 PM   #29
woodrow59
OzarkHillbilly in Atlanta

new69owner ,,,,,,

I have that problem too. Got an '85 305 in my '68. One thing i've found that works sometimes is to go to the napa or autzone website and look it up yourself. I say sometimes because I don't know what this engine came out of so when it gets to the car model part I try 2 or 3 different models and if the part # comes up the same i figure that one should work. Then take that part # and tell 'em that's what you want. They'll look at you dumbfounded for a couple of seconds and then go get it. LOL

68 Longhorn C20 Custom Camper (sold)
woodrow59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 03:35 PM   #30
1967LWBstepside
'Heavy Metal' Redefined.

After routinely replacing carrier bearings, I finally replaced the driveshaft. I had a 1 piece custom made to replace the 2 piece. It has a larger diameter and so the yoke hole in the center had to be cut out a little for it to fit when it "slops around" during turns and such. Turns out my old shaft was damaged and no longer balanced so that made the bearings wear out faster too.

One more thing. Those Chinese made bearings don't hold up as long as the older American ones. They cost less but only lasted a few thousand miles.

In all my old American-made bearings, the rubber broke first. For a couple of the Chinese-made ones the bracket holding the rubber and bearing broke first.

I've been very pleased with the 1 piece shaft. It cost about $225 for a new balanced one -- everything new from transmission tail to rear end. Should have done that long ago instead of buying lots of bearings.

Mike
1967 C10 LWB stepside, 250 engine, GM HEI, aftermarket A/C., Clifford Performance intake, Stovebolt split headers, Carter AFB 500, X-pipe & Dynomax Super Turbos, 1 piece custom driveshaft, cyprus bed wood & stainless bed strips.
Starkville, Mississippi | My Truck Page
1967LWBstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 03:48 PM   #31
Dan67

Carrier bearing repeat failures

I'm new to the message board - have had my '67 LWB C10 for about two years. When I first bought it, I replaced the carrier bearing with a new unit from AutoZone ($18.99). I installed new U-joints at the same time. Within two months, the bearing had failed, torn loose of the rubber, etc. I replaced it again, and this one lasted a bit longer but the same thing is happening. Oddly enough, I never notice any vibration, only a slight squeaking noise at low speeds.

The truck is equipped with a coil spring rear suspension, 3-speed manual transmission and has the full-round carrier bearing.

One person commented that his bearing kept failing due to worn rear trans mounts. In my case, I reinstalled the transmission myself after replacing the clutch, and it appears to only mount at the bellhousing (no rear crossmember mount). Am I missing something (or is my truck missing something)?

Again, I haven't noticed any vibration to indicate an out-of-balance driveshaft. Perhaps I will consider having a one-piece shaft made - that should solve the problem once and for all.

Thanks,
Dan
'67 Chevy C10 LWB, 350 (Goodwrench crate) 3-speed
South Lyon, MI
Attached Images

Dan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 10:43 PM   #32
1967LWBstepside
'Heavy Metal' Redefined.

Re: Carrier bearing repeat failures

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan67
One person commented that his bearing kept failing due to worn rear trans mounts. In my case, I reinstalled the transmission myself after replacing the clutch, and it appears to only mount at the bellhousing (no rear crossmember mount). Am I missing something (or is my truck missing something)?
Dan67

My '67 has mounts on the bellhousing and no transmission crossmember. That's the normal way. I'm thinking of swapping mine to a crossmember if I change transmissions though. Will have to if I put an automatic in.

I like your truck. Really clean and nice paint.

Mike
1967 C10 LWB stepside, 250 engine, GM HEI, aftermarket A/C., Clifford Performance intake, Stovebolt split headers, Carter AFB 500, X-pipe & Dynomax Super Turbos, 1 piece custom driveshaft, cyprus bed wood & stainless bed strips.
Starkville, Mississippi | My Truck Page
1967LWBstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 12:42 AM   #33
palallin

Re: Carrier bearing repeat failures

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan67
[snip] I replaced it again, and this one lasted a bit longer but the same thing is happening. Oddly enough, I never notice any vibration, only a slight squeaking noise at low speeds.[snip]
Again, I haven't noticed any vibration to indicate an out-of-balance driveshaft. Perhaps I will consider having a one-piece shaft made - that should solve the problem once and for all.

Thanks,
Dan
'67 Chevy C10 LWB, 350 (Goodwrench crate) 3-speed
South Lyon, MI
Dan,

Are you indexing the two drive shafts as you put them back together? Failing to do so will cause early failure of this kind. All the crosses have to line up, or the shaft will be out of balance.
Old 08-10-2002, 02:07 PM   #34
Yellow Cheyenne

Ok, I'll keep the thread going. On those that have a manual tranny (three or four speed), is there a slider joint at the rear of the tranny? I haven't looked at manual tranny for so long that I don't recall for sure. If it bolts solid like I think it does and you use a one piece drive shaft or a drive shaft that doesn't slide in the middle, where does the drive shaft get room to move when the suspension moves?
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote