The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
NewType72

Exclamation Newtype 72 c/10 power/drivetrain HELP

Well I'm roundin up ideas for my 72 C/10 swb pickup since its current setup is decent I want it to have a little more power and durability all around so that I feel safer on longer trips she's been mostly around town and within 100 miles or so of home.

I'd like to take trips from the Central Valley to let's say Southern California if I wanted to no problems just fire her up an go.
I don't have the major bucks to do an LS1-3 swap not do I have the desire for the LS look as I'm more of a fan of the carb motors (keep classic classic you know)

This truck IS my daily present/future driver so I can't put it down for long at this point and I plan to use it everyday after as I am doing now so it'll need to be very dependable.

I don't need a ton of horsepower but I don't feel like being embarrassed by the local prius's either so I'm wanting a decent SBC 350 with around 300 horsepower.

Of course I can fiddle with that since I want to be somewhere in the ball park of 16-20 mpg that I'm hoping the gearing and 700r4 trans would give me I already jumped 2-4 mpg swapping from 4:11 gears to 3:73's in two different 12 bolt rear ends.

so here's what I have

Current setup:
Motor: 350 SBC with serpentine.
less than 200 HP estimated.
Keyway was layed over on crank has now been jb welded for a full year no problems fortunately.
Very mild cam may be ruined from from rocker arms being too tight on first adjustment (had a bad motor builder).
Edelbrock performer intake with carb (happy with this could upgrade).
Late model serpentine belt setup (very happy with this as well.

Transmission: Th350 automatic Very solid rebuilt three years ago no issues.
Shift kit.

Differential: 12 bolt 3:73 gearing dog legger rear end.
very solid but have my original to rebuild into something newer.
1-piece driveline.

Brakes/suspension: Disc brakes up front with mcgaughys 2.5" drop spindles and stock worn out springs (bouncy).
Drum brakes out back solid but wanting disc (have line on wildwood rotors and calipers).
E-brake cable broke midway never been fixed since I got it as I don't have a use for one other than to keep the truck closer to stock.

Now here's my ideal setup and somewhat of what I think may work from my basic knowledge here in the board.

Dream setup:

Motor: 350 sbc 300 HP on carb style motor edelbrock goodies with serpentine belt setup on front.
New headers (chevelle shorties? Open to better ideas still want them to tuck up a bit).

Transmission: 700r4 overdrive tranny rebuilt innards from a stock case with some tricks to strengthen it (heard they're a bit brittle when HP is added).

Differential: 12 bolt 3:73 Richmond gears with eaton posi.
Shortened 1-piece driveline.

Brakes: Rear brakes upgraded to wilwood calipers and rotors (what do I need for swap or can I just buy a kit?)
Replace front calipers and rotors for wilwood as well.
Wilwood master cylinder and dump brake booster.

Suspension: Bag the truck manually for now until I can afford full switch/tank/compressor air ride for that cushy drive feel

ANY kin of advice or guidance for all that was mentioned would be greatly appreciated I'm looking to do a lot of this at the end of the next two months or so and I want to round up all of what I need so that I can get a head start and not be too rushed on this.

Thank you for reading and any responses in advance -Dylan
Posted via Mobile Device

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote