The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
WyattTX

Anyone else think fully automated cars are a bad idea?

I notice the media, and numerous advertisers, as well as many millennials, are pushing for full automated cars. This is a terrible idea because we see how many times computers malfunction. Also the artificial intelligence could not compensate fast enough for rapidly changing road conditions, or morality based decisions. How would it react to parts breakage while being driven? Driving a car is a pleasure, privelage, and strong responsobility. We should not leave such major things to machines. If the industry keeps digging deeper into such technology, we should make an agreement to boycott, and stop buying new vehicles. We may not make too much of a difference, but we have to start somewhere.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Anyone else think fully automated cars are a bad idea?

I agree with you but we are going to get them. the government will outlaw cars that are driver controlled and make sales of them or their parts illegal and we will be forced into this once the infrastructure is sufficient and the government deems the vehicles safe. Im also sure people will die in these and there will be snafus which we will be given the "official dialogue" about and never know the true causes and effects of these things. I am also going to say that this is another form of control because these new vehicles already can be computer tracked and your location figured out without your knowledge or consent. All of this is way more than I am comfortable with

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
abig84

theres always so many variables they dont think of. i heard a little while back a testla drove under the trailer of a semi as it was turning as the sensors didnt pick up the truck due to the gap.

i always wonder what happens if a ball of slush gets flung at your front sensors, or a plastic bag.

kinda wonder how many people are going to mess with those cars, like slightly swerve at it or brake check it to see how it works
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
RDrancher

I just returned from a 1600 mile trip in a rented 2017 Suburban. It had enough computer controlled "niceties" on it to make me despise driving it. Folks these days seem to enjoy the dumbing down of things to the point that they don't have to think or know how to do anything. No thanks.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
WyattTX

Not trying to sound extreme but, if legislation required that we own self driving cars, I think we would be foolish to succumb to it. We can just keep just driving our conventional cars. They cant arrest all of us. This could be the next big state vs federal government dispute.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

My autoCAD crashes several times per day and even my "reliable" home computer freezes now and again.

It will come down to what's acceptable. On average, there's 5.3 MILLION auto accidents throughout the world each year with hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Will there be crashes and deaths with automated cars? Yep. Will it be significantly lower than the numbers posted above? Highly likely.

Do I like it? Hell no.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
fatbass

Time to listen to "Red Barchetta" by Rush one more time.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #8
hamjet

Does this mean I can let my license laps????? By the time this happens I'll be too old to drive myself around anyway..
Old 05-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
fatbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattTX View Post
Not trying to sound extreme but, if legislation required that we own self driving cars, I think we would be foolish to succumb to it. We can just keep just driving our conventional cars. They cant arrest all of us. This could be the next big state vs federal government dispute.
They can have my truck when they pry my cold dead hands from the steering wheel.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #10
Boog
laying low

No I'm not ready for fully automated vehicles. There is testing going on with driverless semi trucks right now. Big rigs!
You know, anything man made can fail and often does.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #11
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
No I'm not ready for fully automated vehicles. There is testing going on with driverless semi trucks right now. Big rigs!
You know, anything man made can fail and often does.
If these automated vehicle had a way to refuel themselves, it would take a nasty toll on the economy. You would be putting all delivery drivers out of work.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

It is truly one of themost ridiculous things I have ever heard of and the people who are pushing for it are already the idiots that the rest will be. We are making unsafe driving conditions with all these safety features and making degenerate humans with all the convenience items pushed upon us. People need to learn to rely upon their own devices once again before we become extinct.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #13
mongocanfly
Post Whore

The way people drive now it makes you think people already think they have automated driving cars..they sure don't pay attention to the road...everything equal I'm against it
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #14
Ironhorse

I posted a poll about this some time back and got pretty much the same reaction as I recall. Just because you can build it does not always mean you should build it. I totally agree with the statement about people being to detached from driving responsibilities while on the road. Recently had a young pedestrian killed locally while he was playing on his cell phone. Stepped right out into traffic with out a thought. Can only imagine how the driver that struck him feels knowing he will live with that thought for the rest of his life. Put me down for a VERY FIRM EMPAHTIC NO DAMN WAY !!
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #15
WyattTX

Just wait, I bet the numerous manufacturers making these self braking cars, are going get a nasty lawsuit. My friend was driving a new Ford Flex, and whek the car decided to stop itself, he nearly messed his pants! Luckily no one was hurt, but if he were on busy road, it could have caused a pile up! What is even more sickenig is the advertising for these cars. My most hated is the one where it shows the self braking car saving the lives of a distracted mother, and children. According to that commercial, a mother has no need, to ensure her kids save on the road. The car will do it for her. The people who work for the marketing department are evil for making this commercial. I will get off my soap box now...
Old 05-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #16
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

But how am I supposed to text if the car doesn't drive itself?

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #17
franken

An autodrive car wrecked into a truck some time ago. Autodrive not mature.

A manual drive pickup drove into a van full of people and killed a dozen--pickup driver leaped out and said I'm so sorry I was texting--he had been followed by someone who called 911 (for the pickup weaving) (15 minutes before the wreck) who said they couldn't do anything. Nope. 911 can't contact popo.

Pick your poison.

Once we drove cars and bikes aggressively (or normally), paid attention, and if it went wrong, said, crap; I f-ed up.
Today, its someone else's fault.

I see morons be they walking, on bicycles, cars or motorcycles all day, everyday doing suicidal stuff. Maybe we need automatic people. Cars are just tools. Do you know how to use the tool?

Where is the liability in the event of an accident? Autodrive has no money. That leaves you.

Anyway, in my opinion, mandated autodrive is hopefully far away...

Last edited by franken; 05-17-2017 at 11:07 PM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:57 AM   #18
rocknss

I love driving, be it my Suburban or my new Camaro. The only time I would want to be driven by a fully automated car is when I no longer can drive myself.
2004 Chevy Impala LS
2016 Chevy Malibu LT
rocknss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #19
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I'm wondering what kind of forum is out there full of people touting the benefits of autodrive cars. "Snowflakecentral.com"?

I also wonder if the same discussions came about with ththe advent of ABS. After all, the worst part of ABS is th thought of the guy behind you not having it.

I imagine if one of them stops suddenly and you rear end it, you will be at fault for following too close. But what happens if your auto stop car hits another that stops unexpectedly?
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #20
davischevy

We should have never accepted mandatory seatbelts.

That was a test to see what we would put up with.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:40 AM   #21
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
I'm wondering what kind of forum is out there full of people touting the benefits of autodrive cars. "Snowflakecentral.com"?
"Snowflakecentral.com" Good one.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:20 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

The more "safety" we add to cars, the less safety people provide for themselves. Supposed to be 100% responsible for ourselves. I'd say it's getting down to 50% or less for a huge amount of drivers. It's one thing to come from the time before all this and adapt to it. It's another thing to be coming up with this being the only thing you know. Just like all those who might as well have no car to drive if their only choice is a manual shift, so are other driving abilities and awareness being lost from the added devices. We are killing ourselves with convenience.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #23
slomotion
Old Duffer

So, how do these self driving vehicles know where to go to begin with? Do you plug an address into the GPS? My GPS has given me wrong directions in the past. It tried to send me down a couple of one way streets the wrong way.
How will the self driver know that the gas/electric station it just passed was the last one before it ran out?
In the case of a minor accident will the thing totally shut down until a tech resets it? If you hit a squirrel, deer, porcupine, or some other animal in a rural setting will it think it was in an accident and quit?

If I had to ride in one of them I'd be so nerved up I'd have to take a day or two off just to calm back down.

I think it's a terrible idea.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #24
JON67
Lootie Stole My Truck

Most data shows that eliminating the human factor from driving will both improve traffic flow, and drastically reduce collision fatalities. Unforseen emergencies aside, most accidents happen because of bad human driving. computers will eliminate this. computers are predictable. humans aren't. Insurance rates should also plummet.

They are estimating that by 2030 all cargo will be distributed by driverless trucks. I think the driverless car debate is moot though. my belief is in the future most people will opt to use a car service like Uber, eliminating the need for a car, license, insurance any all the other expenses needed. at least in more urban areas.

I am already starting to see this with my kids' generation. my son is 18 and expressed zero interest in driving. and even now, anytime I bring up him getting a car. he gets super anxious thinking about the expense. He says it is not worth it to him.
JON67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #25
shp4man

They'll get my truck when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.