The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
70cst

How did you find your Truck -and-Why did you buy your truck?

I have always found it interesting how people found there trucks and why did they buy it and when.
I was looking for a 48-55 1/2 ton Chevy in the summer of 2001 when I found my 70cst in the Truck Trader just outside Knoxville, Tn.. The Trader had just came out so I called and was the first one to see it. Though it wasn't a 48-55 Chevy this truck was manufactured the year I graduated from High School. Plus it has a 402BB with lots of options. Being a Tn. truck rust was at a minimum with the bed floor the worse as far as rust but very fixable. I purchased it for about $2300 and now six years later it is about to get transformed and put back on the road. I have dropped it 2 1/2" and put a set of 72 brakes on it so I would have a five bolt set up. I will keep the truck as close to stock the rest of the way. It will never be a trailer Queen but a truck that I can take out and have some fun. Lets here your story.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: How did you find your Truck -and-Why did you buy your truck?

My 67 spent most of its life in Texas, somehow ended up near Lexington, SC, then in '96 my uncle bought it, drove it to NY, blew a rubber brake line, couldn't get parts for it in time to drive it back home, and I fell in love with it and bought it in November '96 for $1,400. Ironically, I moved to SC for college in '99 (go Tigers!) and brought the truck down in '03. After I gradjamated I moved to Greenville.

I built the old girl myself in my uncle's driveway. Check out my build thread in my signature
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
herb101
Used Register

My wife saw it and basically bought the color - the truck happened to come along with it.

Herb
herb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:14 PM   #4
A.P.
Black 72 Chevy

My truck was a gift from my oldest brother. He gave it to me because of my good grades in high school. What he thought was cool about my truck is that its from the same year I was born, 1972. Its been the best gift I've ever gotten.
A.P.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

my uncle bought it from his neighbor in '98, and i thought it was great. Took 5 years, but I finally got him to sell it to me. He had bought a sonoma and was just storing this one.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
corn

I was looking to buy a motor for an 84 GMC I had & ran across a 69 with a 396. Found out it was in a factory bb truck. I sold the 84 & we have lived happily ever after...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 PM   #7
blukangoo
Neighborhood Pickle Slinger

My dad had a 68 when I was a kid and I always wanted to have it.
He had to sell it because he couldnīt haul as much wood as he wanted. He replaced it with a 79 C20.
I always told him I would find his old truck and buy it back.
We lost track of it and never seen it again.
Thatīs what made me go out and look for one.
I checked some out when we were in the states on vacation and liked them all but they just werenīt right.
I finally put a search up on Craigslist in Oregon and 2 guys called up. I checked out the first one and the engine was clean but the rest needed alot of help. It had a metal bed anyways. I wanted wood.
The second guy called up and we went and looked at it. He opened the bed and I seen wood. Sold!
A week later it was on itīs way to Germany.
Now I am just about done with restoring the frame and suspension.
I am planning on driving it in August again.
Check out my Diary in my signature.

My C10 Diary

Our cars:
1966 Chevrolet Chevelle 396 - TH350
1968 Chevrolet C10/CST 327 TH400/375
1969 Corvette Stingray 350 - Muncie Manual Trans
1969 Chevrolet ElCamino 350 - TH400
1970 Cutlass Supreme Convertible - 350 Rocket - TH350
1973 Camaro LT - New Engine Done - TH350

1973 Corvette Convertible 454 - TH400
blukangoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:36 PM   #8
OLDIRON69

I was looking for a '64 fleet with no real luck, plenty around..just out of my price range. My buddy saw mine sitting in a front yard about a mile from where I work, I went, I looked, I bought, mainly use it as a work truck for my side business. I'm making it dependable right now and purty comes later. I drove a Dodge diesel for a couple yrs, it hit $3 a gallon for diesel. I sold it! I had a '71 LWB in High School, always kicked myself for selling..
So far new long block and put a TH350 in it, 5 lug rear, working on the front end..slow go...
69 Dodge Charger-440/4spd
OLDIRON69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:36 PM   #9
Aarons72s

Well I got 2 so 2 stories.

The orange and white has been in the family since 73. As far back as I can rember I loved the truck and told my parents it was my truck! They would ask me ocasionally if I still wanted it when I got older and I always said yes. Its been mine ever since I turned 16 and got my license. I drove it till late 2000 when the motor gave up the ghost.

I then began searching for a driver for me while I rebuild the orange and white. Started looking but most were to expensive or were basket cases. I had just about finished off the 85 dodge aries we had. Which was my daily after the orange and white died. My dad worked with a guy that had a private junk yard slash storage yard. I went out there to look at a 65 he had that he just got. But it was a basket case. Then he happened to mention that a kid came buy and wanted to sell him a 72 green and white cheyenne super.

So I got the kids name and number and called him. We met him at a grochery store where he took us to look at the truck. We get there and there is this fairly straight and 95% rust free 72 sitting there. He wanted $2,500 for it. And I was sold in about five minutes.

This surprised the kid as the truck only could run about 4 minutes before dying. But he could never figure out what was wrong. He had replaced the carb, fuel pump and fuel hoses but couldnt figure it out. After I bought it I told him the fuel sock was clogged, which that was the problem. That is the story how I my 2 72's.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 PM   #10
69GMCor70Chevy

I had a 67 GMC from 92-95 but I sold it. I needed a truck for running around and hauling stuff around so I instantly wanted to get a 67-72. I wanted something that didn't need a frame off resto and hasn't had a frame off resto. This was based on price alone. I searched ebay/craiglist/autotrader/car domain/every list of vehicles for sale in North America. I bid on a few on ebay and had pics of 100 trucks from others in my email inbox but never closed the deal. Finally I was reading the nearest City's Newspaper while at my cabin at the lake (3 hrs away). I came across a 69 GMC for sale. It was on the lower side of the price I was willing to pay but I had pics sent to me and decided it was worth the look especially considering I almost bought one in San Jose the day before and the price plus travel and the border issues would have meant $2000 more than the asking. The guy told me that the rockers were needing replacement and the wood box was done. So I went up expecting that it would need alot of work. When I went to look at it I could barely contain myself while looking through it. What I found was a very strongly built/dressed 350 with a strong TH350 and brand new exhaust with cherry bombs, a cab that looked like new and when I pulled up the carpet it looked like the factory!! The rest of the body was in very good shape the only problem was that the paint from 4 years ago wasn't done that well. The bed wood was a write off but for the time being a new Lund snap on cover was installed and it is very easy to remove and replace as I found out when hauling a fridge on Sunday. The asking price was $3750 but I got him down to $2750 as he was moving. The way I see it this gives me plenty of money to make it the way I want. Enclosed is a pic. Oh yeah the problem with the rockers was a small amount of surface rust from not having mud flaps!
Attached Images

70 Mercury Marauder - Future Project
69GMCor70Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:53 PM   #11
pat

I always wanted one of these bodystyle trucks. For my first truck I got a 93 GMC step 6er. Nothing cool at all. I wanted something different from everyone else, something I could build. Looked at a whole lot of them. Finally bought this one when I was 16 or 17. Got RAPED on it now that I know what I know thanks to this board. But Im glad I have it now.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #12
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

First GMC I remember was a 1960 at the age of 4, that Dad bought. It was yelo and white V-6 2wd Suburban with barn doors. A divorce in '64 took that one. In 1971 Mom bought a 1970 GMC Jimmy 4x4. I kept thinkin for several years that she would decide it aint a daily driver for a woman, and she would sell it to me cheap. Didn't happen.
I had to buy a 72 GMC C2500 in 1979 tryin to wait her out. I finally won when in 2001 she decided that the Jimmy was gettin to hard to get in and out of at the age of 78. Jeez it was hard to wait 30 years for a truck that I loved the first time Mom brought it home.

Later---DAC

Rest In Peace Mom. "Dolly" 7/15/23 - 5/18/09
GMC driver for 30 years!

Last edited by 70gmcjimmy; 08-01-2007 at 12:22 AM.
70gmcjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:57 AM   #13
sb69chevy

I've always loved the look of these trucks. Found mine on cars.com and it was in Jackson, TN. Bought it for $2300. Not sure if it's original or not, but the rear bumper says Stroud Chevrolet/Henderson TN. So, maybe this truck spent all of its life in TN until I bought it.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:07 AM   #14
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Like alot of other guys- I wasn't really looking for my '67 LWB. I had just sold my Pontiac and decided that I really needed a truck for the usual home maintenance stuff, ya' know the dump runs, pickin' up a load or 5 of pea gravel, bark mulch, planting soil for the misses and the occassional trip out to the HD. A few years ago I had a 69 " F@*k Our Ride Died " F250 that was nothing but problems- so I knew I wanted an older Chevy / GMC. I also considered a 60's vintage Power-Wagon 'cause I think they're bad-a$$, but rare as hens teeth / expensive. I was scouring the normal sources for a 62-66 SWB, but most were outside of my budget or complete POS's. However, I would also sneek a peek at the 67-72's as well, being as my dad had a '68 back when I was kid and I thought it was da' bomb! '68 SWB 4x4, 327, 4-speed, CST, Light Blue & White 2-tone, chrome baby moons w/ old skool mudder meats and a vanity plate that read " K-Paso"! I'm telling you- I look at old pics of his truck and that sucka was butt-hole tight! Anyways, I was checkin' out my local CL when this dude has this rattle-can flat-black '67 LWB for 900 bucks. I checked the pic and it didn't look too bad. The LF fender was toast and the LH Bedside was pretty gruesome. But it the cab was decent with only the rockers needing attention and he says it runs like a champ! I thought " what da' hell " and went out to look at it- gave it a spin 'round the 'hood and decided that I could do alot with this....so I bought it. The wife laughs at my technicolor hoopty, but knows that with some time and a pound of 50's - I'll turn this sows ear into a silk purse. But it will never be a trailer queen- just a really nice but useable truck.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #15
MisterE72
Keep Your Nose Clean

My uncle had a cherry red 72 swb when I was in high school (in the late 80's). I wanted to buy it off him but could not afford the $5,000 bucks. Then in 2001, I seen a 1972 C10 SWB Custom Deluxe accross the street from the school where I teach. I asked the owner several times (a year) to let me know when he was ready to sell it. In 2003 he bought a ski boat and his daughters wanted a stereo system for it. He needed $1,500 The deal was made .
MisterE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:29 AM   #16
GREASEMONKEY72

i found mine in the camera ads here and me and my bro drove an hour to go look at it in a neighboring town, took it for a drive and i liked it and i was in the need of a vehicle and we talked about it and it was a pretty good deal and a decent truck so we went for it and me and my mom went and picked it up a couple days later and i drove it home and lost the tranny on the way and had to have my dad tow me home the rest of the way with a chain, then we put it into the tranny shop and i got it back 5days later and drove it to school that day and have loved it eversince

and when i got it home i started relizing things such has me and my bro are 13yrs apart in age and his truck and my truck are 13yrs apart (hes got a 59 f100) his truck was blue when he got it and my truck is blue, our dad pulled him home with a chain (blown engine) and our dad pulled me the rest of the way home with a chain, both original v8 trucks, theres more but i cant think of them right now

the first pic is the very first pic i ever took of my truck and the second is the latest
Attached Images

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:20 AM   #17
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

I found my ’68 C-10 at an auction lot in 1997 for a bit less than $300. Had a leaf spring Posi and a lot of great options so I jumped at it.
She sure was missing a lot: driveline, trany, interior, upper engine parts and had a crushed front end + bent frame…I was instantly smitten with her even then!
Back in 1997 I sorely needed a truck so she was cobbled together enough to drive. Correct parts were rebuilt and added when I found those that met her year and options. Disc brakes were adapted in 1998 but, in fact, until this year I’ve had 22 lug nuts. Sometimes even a new set of rotors can make one’s day (thanks Frank).
The ‘borrowed’ engine was finally returned to its owner this year.
At 9pm on New Years evening, January 1st, 2007, her fresh LJ 327 was fired up and since then nearly all of the running gear has been polished and completed.
Now I’ll be launching into replacing the bent frame and will attend to the body…. (Moving into a place with a GARAGE!!)

…….ET’s already feelin’ broke! Oh, well……..did say I loved the beast…so it shall be.
.Yes...it's has borrowed '67 fenders.... thanks Mark...
Attached Images

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:33 AM   #18
Fe2o3

We had just moved to Colorado in 1980, and figured we'd need snow tires. Across the street from the shop, the local F*rd dealer had our 72 k10 on the lot. One of those fate things. so we decided to trade the bad tires and the wagon they held up for it. Been loving it ever since.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #19
Lemield

Geez...all you guys got good stories....mine are boring....

I found my 70 CST shorty at a car show in Moab Utah. It caught my eye and I bought it...now it sucks money out of my wallet.

I found my 70 C20 in the online auto trader collector car ads. It was nearby and looked good. I bought it with a 1969 Mitchell 11.5 ft camper on it that was in nice shape too. Recently sold the camper but kept the truck.
Attached Images

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"

Last edited by Lemield; 08-01-2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: I kant spel...
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #20
beermunk

I saw mine last fall on the road I would drive to and from my house everyday on. I thought that for sure it was a 1k plus truck, something that I never wanted to spend that much on. Then one day it was gone. I figured somebody had picked i up.

fast forward to about a month ago when the Iola car fest was going on here in central wisconsin. Suddenly it was back in the same spot. This time I stopped to see the asking price. $475?! Nuts - called the fella and he said he'd take $400 for it. SOLD.

I didn't even ask the wife unit, just told her I was going to need a ride down the road to go pick up an investment.

"You better take care of me Lord, or you'll have me on your hands..."
- H.S.T
beermunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #21
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

My Dad and I drove over to Sterling, CO to pick up a 70 C10 that he bought from a friend of his. I had just sold my 56 Buick Special and was looking for a 67-72 but wasn't sure what I wanted. The 70 was going to be Dad's project.

After we got it loaded onto the trailer and started to leave, Dad's friend said to tune to xxxxAM radio station. The local ranchers and farmers have a program where they call in with equipment they have for sale. We hadn't made it 5 miles from Dad's friends house when this guy called in with "an old 68 Chevy pickup truck" for sale. He said the paint was OK, the interior was good, but the engine was shot. Knocked like the dickens. He wanted $1200 for it. As he gave his phone number, and Dad was already dialing on his cell!

It was about 40 miles south of where we were at the time, so we figured we just as well go look at it since we aren't that far away. We were much farther away from home at that point.

When we pulled up, there was a cherry blue 68 with flat tires parked in the ditch. I remember saying to Dad "if the one we are looking at is half as nice as that blue one, I'll give him cash right now!" Well, it turned out to be that one. I offered him $1000, he went in and talked to his son (it was his truck), and came back and said we have a deal. I gave him $500, and we came back the next morning and loaded it up!

Here is the way we found her. The green turd on the trailer in the background is the one my Dad bought. Board member Uncle now has it on the opposite end of the country!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #22
69rut

My wife has always wanted a truck so I told her that would be my next project. Being it would be hers, I let her decide what she wanted. At a car show we saw a whole row of 67-72 Chevys and the choice was made.

Enter a co-worker and a leaky radiator. Since she lived far away, I agreed to follow her home after work. Lo and behold her husband had a 1969 stepside sitting in the yard. I told my friend that I would like the truck one day. She told her husband who decided it was time to get rid of the old truck. After purchasing a replacement, he drove the '69 to my house and handed me the keys.

Now this truck is no cream puff, it has lots of rust. But I have lots of time and my welding skills are improving. So far I have replaced the floor, cab corners, rockers, and front fender mounting tab. The cowl has just recently been fixed as well. I have already purchased a parts truck and have removed the disc brakes, power booster/master cylinder, power steering box, and auto column. I also have a '97 V-6 with 4l60e and the complete wiring harness.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #23
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

In 1977, I was looking for a 4x4 and saw the '72 K20 on a Chevy lot. It had just been traded in and hadn't been 'detailed' yet. I liked the body style better than newer trucks and thought it looked sturdier also.

The dealer had just put new Armstrong highway tires on it (bias ply 7.50-16, 8pr on split rims) and I drove it straight to the Armstrong shop and swapped for 7.50-16 traction tires.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #24
1967C20

I bought my truck two weeks before I got married in 1994. My wife laughed like crazy when she first saw it and it's been the butt of many a joke in my wifes family over the years. Kind of surprising considering her dad was a farmer and had an ugly (but mechanically sound) collection of trucks, tractors, and other equipment. At the time, I had been wanting an old truck for a while ( I missed my Corvair and my Rambler American which I had sold some years earlier) and had set about finding a 67-68 Chevy. I found it in the local Truck Trader Magazine about 10 miles from where I lived. The original owner had a slide in camper and used the truck to camp and fish at the beach. After he passed away, the truck went to his brother who then sold it to his grandson to drive to college. The grandson did a driveway repaint in puke blue which had faded considerably by the time I found it so this was one ugly truck. The odometer said 67,000 original miles, the body was straight with almost no rust, and when I drove it was tight and strong. I cut a deal right there on the spot. I think I paid $1500? Can't remember exactly. The wife and the truck have both been keepers.

1967 C20 Custom Camper, 327, Powerglide, PS, PB, No-Spin Locker
1967C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #25
bcanini
"Taste It"

This is a good thread great Idea

My first one was 72 lwb Cheyenne w/a highlander package,picked it up from a co worker for 1200 kept it for a few yrs and have always regretted getting rid of it.

Soo, about a year ago I was at a friends body shop, another friend of mine came in and had a deal on a SWB. We went and looked at it and I fell in love all over again,guy brought it up from Cali he was the 2nd owner,air cab,had some parts and a set of perfect buddy buckets w/it and alot of other parts, found out it had been parked for 5 yrs in the shop and the paint was fresh from 5yrs ago. I was the 1st one to wax it!!! So, with a little love and and some time I eneded up w/it for $5k cash he was putting it in the auto trader the next day,going through a divorce and needed the cash. Done deal.
Wife didn't see the attraction and was kinda pissed about it but now she likes it and see's that we did good on the price.

Here's a couple pics of my baby.
Thanks for reading.

B
Attached Images

2007 Silverado Crew with the MAX Pack and loaded
2007 CX-9
"Hopefully when I die.. my wife wont sell my stuff for what I said I paid for it"

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.
bcanini is offline   Reply With Quote