The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
kidatheart

1948 GMC 250 with dump bed

48 GMC 250(that's what it says I think). Good title. Runs and drives around the farm, I haven't had it on the road yet, but I won't be afraid to drive it to town when I get tagged and insured. New battery. New master cylinder, and brakes need bled some more. Engine sounds good but smokes some-it's been sitting for a couple of years. body in very good condition. original seat is gone. Most of the lights work. has hoist that works. neat little truck. Tires have really good tread and minimal weather checking. Good title. What's the market on it? I am thinking around $2700. Is that in the ball park? Tell what you think-you won't hurt my feelings! Thank you. Doug
Attached Images

Last edited by kidatheart; 06-30-2020 at 10:36 PM. Reason: more info
kidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:33 PM   #2
kidatheart

Re: 1948 GMC 250 with dump bed

more
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #3
joedoh

hello my neighbor to the north (I am in doodah/wichita)

thats a really clean truck, I think your price is right for a couple reasons

1. it runs. too many dont.

2. its a GMC. that means high pressure oiling and great power, the gmc motors are easily hotrodded. also, the front end is unique. its a late 48, they changed in mid year, the early ones had a HEAVY grille and a frame mounted saddle gas tank.

3. the front end is the same as half tons, thats a BIG DEAL, in fact you should put that in your ad because guys that are looking for a truck to work on usually want to make a 1/2 ton shortbed out of it. that cab and front end means a buyer would only need a bed and rear fenders and running boards. most trucks like this have the "big truck" front end, which is wider and taller.

4. its not very rusty. this is also a big deal. believe me, you may think that is rusty but seriously that is a great truck to start with, I have seen it all.

5. its red. I can only buy green trucks, and I have only ever seen one factory red one. the "resell red" thing is real.

if I were buying I will step up with my offer, but I am not buying. I dont think 2700 is impossible, make sure you advertise it as the 1/2 ton front end, GMC engine, and take good pictures of the floor. you may want someone to buy it and use it like it is but the sad truth is that no one will probably do that. tires are expensive, top speed is disappointing, and ride will be ROUGH.

remember that in kansas you can sell on a bill of sale, and that 49 and down do not need a MVE-1 inspection, they just check the database and issue a title. thats helpful if you have a 10-20-30-40 year old title for the truck.

good luck!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:45 PM   #4
kidatheart

Thanks, joedoh! That is a lot of great information. I appreciate your knowledge and sharing it with me. I don’t think the truck has hardly any rust, and that is a big plus for me. It’s a neat little truck but I know odds are it will be used for parts and that doesn’t matter to me. Thanks again. Doug
Old 07-02-2020, 12:31 AM   #5
joedoh

yeah I would love to start with a truck that clean (and red) but I am used to paying around ~1200-1500 for my complete donors by the time I buy front end, cab, doors, running boards, bed, fenders etc. I bought a 52 1 ton just like that, no rust for $1000. not running, not gmc, not hoist. it was blue but that was a terrible lie because it was just thin blue over GREEN.

you should build it!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
Gargoyle

That's a really cool truck. I'd love to have that and use it as is, that hoist would come in very handy. As for value, aim a little higher and fall back as necessary.
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
kidatheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
That's a really cool truck. I'd love to have that and use it as is, that hoist would come in very handy. As for value, aim a little higher and fall back as necessary.
Thank you. I wish I had a huge building and lots of cash, and could just keep them all. After I sell it, I know some day I will wish I had it back.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #8
Pvmt-Pndr

I just saw one very similar to this on Craigslist this morning. Chevy, not running (ran when parked) brakes need work, tires were junk but the dump bed worked. It was listed at $1,200
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:44 PM   #9
kidatheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
I just saw one very similar to this on Craigslist this morning. Chevy, not running (ran when parked) brakes need work, tires were junk but the dump bed worked. It was listed at $1,200
Thank you! That's good to know.