The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
mick53

Is it still a Chevy?

I have been told by some that my 53 3100 is no longer a Chevy. Maybe they are right. In my entire drive train from radiator to lug nuts the only thing GM made is the 292 cast iron block. The entire front end other than the steering box is aftermarket. I'm keeping and boxing the frame rails. The cab and body panels will be stock with the exception of widening the rear fenders 2". So I still get to call it a Chevy?
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: Is it still a Chevy?

Yep, although you could add "By Mick" script under the Chevy emblems...
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:54 PM   #3
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I have been told by some
sometimes its good natured ribbing from other builders, but if your feedback is coming from others, ask them what they have built from a pile of parts. usually its 'nothing'. yours may be something far removed from a chevy but at least its not 'nothing'.

if its your rod builder buddies giving you a hard time just put air horns under their shop chairs.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'll go with what it says on the tailgate....or hood/grill

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #5
mick53

This seems to be the only forum I visit that doesn't seem to have a couple of a#@holes that make personal attacks and the forum allows it. I don't expect people to like my ideas but I'm just looking for advice like everyone else. Thanks folks for all the help.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:57 PM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Well Mick, sadly there are a few wherever you go..but this sites mods are pretty good about scolding them when they get out of hand..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:00 PM   #7
nvrdone

ive watched your build and im blown away with your creativity. nice work. call it what you like and register it that way. if the state says its a chevy, it must be a chevy. LOL.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:13 PM   #8
mr48chev

It's not worth worrying about. Every photo I saw of the truck tells me that it is a GM AD truck and Just like ducks, if it looks like a duck and goes quack it's a duck.

There are those self styled experts out there who like to mouth off about other peoples rigs and most of the time they don't own an enthusiast vehicle of any kind. They would probably get punched in the mouth if they ran into a group of Cobra kit car guys and told one of them that his car wasn't a real Cobra. It's ok for fellow owners to ask what brand your kit is but not ok for outsiders to say anything negative.

I just hope I get mine all together and ready for a road trip to watch you make a pass in yours some day.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:58 AM   #9
MiraclePieCo

This is a classic philosophical issue called "Theseus's Paradox." If a ship (or in your case, a truck) has had every single part replaced, is it still the same ship?

Just don't mention it in the DMV office...
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
gigamanx

Quote:
The cab and body panels will be stock with the exception of widening the rear fenders 2". So I still get to call it a Chevy?

Absolutely man. You see it in a parking lot, behind you in traffic, or at a car show; it looks like a Chevy, has the curves of a Chevy, has the grill, hood, cab, everything that made this an iconic truck. I believe any car keeps its roots as long as it keeps the spirit and styling.

Here's one that has bothered me.. In Nascar you drive a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and nothing is from production cars. Chassis, body, engine.. but drivers get to call them a Chevy lol.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #11
_Ogre

mick53 needs to quit hanging out on the hamb, they have strange ideas over there
my 58 truk has many ford, chrysler and after market parts, it still looks mostly like chevy ��
depends on view angle

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
mick53

Thanks for the encouragement. I registered it 3 years ago. It took 3 court orders even though it was titled to me in California in 1980. I still had my California plate in hand from 1989 (53 6 POPR). In Indiana you can run an original unrestored YOM plate. I registered it in case Indiana changed it's laws I would be grandfathered in. I have a new Indiana plate that the sticker goes on and you stash it under the seat or wherever. We only have 1 plate now and I think with some cleaning and a nice frame the bottom one will be fine. In 52-54 Indiana didn't make new plates because of the metal shortage from the war. It was not easy to find a decent 51 plate from Indiana but finding the 53 "topper" was a nightmare. I don't need the 52 "topper" if anyone needs it. My new title has the 4 digit VIN number on it now but the state computers would not take a number that small so that was one court order. In the end the judge wrote with a sharpie on the state paperwork "ISSUE THIS MAN A TITLE! HE HAS OWNED THIS TRUCK SINCE 1980. Thank you for your time and support.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2020, 07:39 AM   #13
1project2many

That's a great story. I think you can call the truck whatever you'd like at this point.

Quote:
This is a classic philosophical issue called "Theseus's Paradox." If a ship (or in your case, a truck) has had every single part replaced, is it still the same ship?
Ahh... But was it even a ship to begin with?
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #14
my56chevytruck

Quote:
This seems to be the only forum I visit that doesn't seem to have a couple of a#@holes that make personal attacks and the forum allows it. I don't expect people to like my ideas but I'm just looking for advice like everyone else. Thanks folks for all the help.
Hey Mick53, you've got a Chevy or GM truck however you want to phrase it. As said already, most will have taken their truck/car to a body shop and told to "put her back together", without knowledge at times of what was used so you doing what you are, you can call it whatever. How about a license plate MKSEVY!!
P.S.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #15
_Ogre

i still haven't seen your truck

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #16
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i still haven't seen your truck
Here she is, still runs. I still see her in all her glory when I bought her in 1980 in SoCal. This was my work truck for 9 years. I have been working on drive train and axles for 3 years. Really close to starting on the chassis.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #17
FAKKY

Quote:
I have been told by some that my 53 3100 is no longer a Chevy. So I still get to call it a Chevy?
Your truck my brother - call it anything you want.

Like Ogre said - go to the HAMB and they will boot you off. There are a few good guys over there (squirell) but pure pureist. Me personally I ls swapped my truck because I want EFI and some power. I also added PS and power brakes. But a ford rear because it was cheaper..

End of day I drive it for me - someone told me other day I need to start attending car shows. I couldnt be less interested. Not why I built mine. It was built as a DD and will drove that way.

If you want to ruffle some feathers - list in places as a Ford.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #18
mick53

My front spindles were made for a ford roadster front end before I severely altered them. I just think roaster front end parts a prettier and that's what Super Bell is set up to make. It's essentially a roadster front end with leaf spring pads and Heidts spindle pins. I like chevy's but don't think the other makes are the devil. Much like in life they all have something to offer. But that's just me. On a happy note my brake caliper brackets will be back from the welder/xray next week and I'll see if my design works. I had to mind meld 2 different brackets together because "you can't put those brakes on that front end". Thank you for your time.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #19
mr48chev

I was just thinking, and some of Mick53's comments on his own truck stirred the pot a bit.

I know of a number of "23 Ford T buckets" that don't have one genuine Ford part on the car that originated from Ford motor company. They are still 23 Ford T buckets Chevy V8 and all. I looked at a 32 Ford Street rod at a show last year that the owner told me that there was not one original Ford part on. The Body was Wescott Fiberglass, Hood, grill and shell were aftermarket, Frame was aftermarket, engine was Chevy small block with a 700R 4 and it had a Ten bolt GM rear. The whole front suspension and brakes were aftermarket street items with lots of chrome. Outside of Engine, trans and rear everything on the car was aftermarket. He had built a number of cars in the past scrounging used parts and modifying them to work but said that he decided to go all new this time and not spend months reworking pieces to bring them up to snuff. The car is still a 32 Ford roadster and was on display with over 700 other 32 Fords in Victoria BC at Deuce Days last year.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:50 PM   #20
joedoh

pfft. the hamb. any comment from there is about as worrisome as a cloudy day. so proud of themselves for an era they never lived in, and styles they have never attempted nor accomplished. I have never seen hot rodding so misinterpreted

Old 10-30-2020, 09:18 PM   #21
mr48chev

Hey I am on the Hamb, and have been for a number of years. One of the reasons I joined was I got sick and tired of what latest trick doo dah that I bought for my truck being out of date and "obsolete' before I even hit an event with it street rod wise.

The guys with the 32 actually answered one of those "oh fiberglass" comments from someone when I was standing there with him and explained to the commenter and me that there was not one original part on the car and that was intentional. The car looked great, had a few long cross country trips on it and was built to drive and enjoy. The car had a lot of nice pieces on it but was built to drive and drive a lot. It wasn't close to Hamb friendly but looked a lot more hot rod than street rod.

Old 10-31-2020, 01:20 PM   #22
joedoh

if someone builds a gorgeous car (or truck like micks) and someone describes it as "not hamb friendly", then the problem isnt with the car (or truck), its with the measurement and the judges.

Old 10-31-2020, 01:40 PM   #23
MARTINSR

Quote:
I have been told by some that my 53 3100 is no longer a Chevy. Maybe they are right. In my entire drive train from radiator to lug nuts the only thing GM made is the 292 cast iron block. The entire front end other than the steering box is aftermarket. I'm keeping and boxing the frame rails. The cab and body panels will be stock with the exception of widening the rear fenders 2". So I still get to call it a Chevy?
It's a Chevy built by you, works for me.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:41 PM   #24
mick53

I don't do the whole hamb thing. Nothing against them. I have been linked to them with other searches. Seems like a lot of knowledge there. I drove my truck stock for 9 years, my DD. I understand wanting to keep that alive. To be honest I can't remember once on any of my 5 trips from LA to Indiana and back that I thought "man this is more fun than a new truck". I'm just marching to a different drummer now. I know I'm out there and I'm fine with it. That's kind of the point. I don't need the masses to agree with me but would like to be shown the same respect I as show them. I recently had a well known inliner tell me I should sell all my engine parts and put in a 540 big block. That is fine I respect his opinion, misguided as it may be.

Last edited by mick53; 10-31-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:47 PM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Born a Chevy, always a Chevy.

I see bowties and Chevrolet all over pro race cars that never saw a GM factory.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote