The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2005, 11:05 PM   #26
Sweet72

Re: No More Craftsman Tools For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15
the last time I did this they gave me some crappy model where the drive end has a kind of double square. its difficult to install them on a ratchet while your busy.
I bought a 1/2" drive Craftsman socket set with this "double square" crap and 6C15 is absolutely right about them being difficult to install especially when you're under the car, greasy hands, dirt in your eyes and this friggin socket won't go on the ratchet. WTF Sears? This crap was obviously designed to frustrate the backyard mechanic into buying a new car instead of working on the older stuff.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:27 AM   #27
blood62

I have had nothing but problems with craftsman ratchets I have split more knuckles because of then I refuse to even use one in a bind. Even brand new their grainy ... they just sound terrible. Craftsman sockets are easy to crack and their wrenches are bulky and clumsy I guess I can’t say to much good about them I use Snap-On now. So little is made with pride any more its sad its all about the money and nothing about the quality.
blood62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #28
ed455
Captain Ed

Couple of weeks ago I pitched a Craftsman ratchet across the yard and it still had the UPC sticker on it. Total crap. The ratchet mechanism is crunchy and the sockets won't go on or come back off without prying them with a screwdriver. NEVER again.

1999 C3500 LS 7.4L
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:28 PM   #29
navybear70
hometown heroes!

I have a Craftsman rachet to return right now. But I have a Husky to return as well...sigh.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

"Never give up ground you've already taken." -Unknown
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:56 PM   #30
68 Stepside
huh?

I don't mind anything Craftsman, except the ratchets. Even the expensive ones are junk IMO. My 44 year old jigsaw still works like new, and I have a lot of odd and end stuff that's been picked up at yard sales and such, it's all good too, I'll just stay away from their ratchets.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #31
8bolt

I think crapsmen tools are all ready being made in china .Idon't buy any of their tools of any kind anymore had lot of trouble with their power tools .
8bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:37 PM   #32
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

I don't know...Craftsman seemed to go down hill after Bob Vila became their spokesman. They seemed to come out with a lot of those "one tool does it all" gizmos.
Mike
onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #33
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

well that sucks that you've had crappy luck with them. I bought a set in '93, and they've been to hell and back (read: the afformentioned 4' cheater bar, used as hammers, especially the ˝") and have never had to be replaced. You know that now that I've said that...........hello Sears...yeah I want to replace this here broken ratchet!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #34
Jr_Blazer_Boy
Account Suspended

I own a craftsman 10" cast iron table saw that is about 40 years old. This thing is on its 2nd belt from what I was told. Orig motor. This saw has been used and I mean USED. It still out performs the new one that the guy next door bought. I plan to keep this and hand it down myself as It has made its way to me.
Jr_Blazer_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #35
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_Blazer_Boy
I own a craftsman 10" cast iron table saw that is about 40 years old. This thing is on its 2nd belt from what I was told. Orig motor. This saw has been used and I mean USED. It still out performs the new one that the guy next door bought. I plan to keep this and hand it down myself as It has made its way to me.
I bought one of those about 25 years ago. It was right after I got out of high school. Mine hasn't probably been heavily used, but I believe it is still on the original belt yet. I gotta admit, that saw is built. But I also believe that the Craftsman back then is not the same Craftsman today.

Mike
onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #36
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

I have a few craftsman peices .. new and old .. never had a problem with there hand tools .. but i've only been wrenching for a few years ...
I like sears off brand Companion ... usually about 1/2 the price of craftsman and seems to be nice quality ... anyone have any experiance with Companion... seems alot better than that Harbor freight stuff

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #37

I have been having the same 1/2" drive I bought myself in the early eighties and it has been well used. It has had the 4' hurricance fence post put on it, pipe wrench teeth marks, beaten with a hammer and still works fine( pictures on request). The only high dollar tools I have are one's some may have left in a rat infested truck I was talking parts off.

The phillips scewdrivers are terrible, I brought a handful of tools to sears for replacement which I have noticed the new 12 points were much thinner than the worn out ones I had. I picked up a #2 phillips. I realize they may be used as a hole punch sometimes, but I used this new screwdriver to take a tailgate band off and the tip cracked off. I went back to sear's and told the manager that realize people are hard on tools but it doesn't make sense that a new screw driver breaks undoing a screw. He told me: "if you dont like it go buy a set of kliens". In closing I like them all as long as they do the job.
19 year old Chihuahua (Factory Teeth)
55454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #38
crazyred
yeeha

I just bought a 584 piece set from craftsman this past summer and there was a bunch of sockets and wrenches missing from the set…. And also a bunch with the chrome flaking off. One wrench wasn’t stamped out…and a bunch of sockets need to be drilled out so it will fit on the post of my craftsman socket holder… What gives with that??? From my experience craftsman ratchets are garbage. If you want quality ratchets go with MAC …. Oddly enough I meant to go to the MAC web site to order a bunch of way over priced tools but out of habit and not thinking I ended up here! Anyway, I figured the craftsman junk will be the stuff I modify to become specialty tool’s ….. that’s my 2 cents

Don't drink and drive, you might spill something!!!

Daryl Kuchmak
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #39
krue
Designated A-hole!

I can't get online without winding up here.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote