The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2022, 11:07 AM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Question multi front and rear speaker connecting

hello, I did a search, but couldn't find the info. I am not a wiring guru so here is my question. how do/can you wire multiple speakers into an aftermarket radio with out a amp? I am looking for a diagram to show how to do this?
IE: 4 front speakers & 4 rear speakers connecting to a regular aftermarket din size radio.

this is for my 1986 C10 with factory radio wiring.

thanks!
rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:19 PM   #2
Richard

Re: multi front and rear speaker connecting

An easy way is to pick up an adapter harness and wire it to aftermarket radio. Such as this https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701...s.html?tp=2977 Will plug right intp factory harness. Should have instructions showing what each wire function is, if wires are not marked on new radio best bet would be to find install instructions.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:14 PM   #3
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Richard, thank you for the reply, I have the aftermarket harness & have it set to connect to the trucks wires, I just don't know how to wire multiple front and rear speakers.
IE: (2) left front speakers & (2) right front speakers. to the 1 pair of left/right front speaker wires at the radio end.
thanks!
Old 01-14-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
SilverMiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
Richard, thank you for the reply, I have the aftermarket harness & have it set to connect to the trucks wires, I just don't know how to wire multiple front and rear speakers.
IE: (2) left front speakers & (2) right front speakers. to the 1 pair of left/right front speaker wires at the radio end.
thanks!
If you use the adapter Richard linked to, it plugs directly into your factory radio and there will no longer be only two sets of speaker wires. I've attached a screen shot of the instructions which show which wires go to each of the four new speakers.

You'll have to double check to make certain that the harness Richard linked is correct for your application, but it looks right to me.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2022, 06:11 PM   #5
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Thank you for the reply. I guess I am not asking with the correct terminology, I would like to know how to connect (2) right front speakers, (2) left front speakers to the radio harness that only has the previous mentioned single left front and single right front speaker wires. Also, same situation for the rear. Overall, I would like to have a total of 8 speakers: 2 left front speakers, 2 right front speakers, 2 left rear speakers and 2 right rear speakers, but I do not have a amp, I just have the radio harness from the aftermarket radio. I apologize for my bad description
Old 01-14-2022, 07:31 PM   #6
SilverMiner

Ohhhh - you know, I kinda wondered if that wasn't actually what you were asking, but didn't respond that way because it isn't commonly done that way. May I ask why you are going down that route?

I have no good answer on how to do this as I've never bothered to try, but I'd suggest doing full internet searches on whether or not OEM radios are even capable of driving multiple speakers. I'd imagine they'd have to be in series, but who knows, it might need to be in parallel.

Please do report back if you are successful and happy with the result - I'd learn something that way. Congratulations are in order though for posting this in the correct forum. I've noticed many who haven't figured out how to find the Audio stuff now that it is sub to the main Electrical.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:27 PM   #7
Richard

You can wire the speakers two ways, series or parallel. Car speakers are typically rated at 4 ohms.

Series you wire the + to - from one speaker to the other then connect the + from one speaker and - from the other to amp or head unit. This will double the load amp or head unit will see. Two 4 ohm speakers will become an 8 ohm load, typically reducing power by half.

Parallel is simply connecting both + and both - to the amp or head unit. This will reduce load by half. Two 4 ohm speakers will become a 2 ohm load. Typically power is increased sometimes by two. Will have to make sure the amp or head unit can handle a 2 ohm load.
Lighter load can cause damage, more load just reduces sound output.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:30 PM   #8
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

silverminer, thanks! no worries.... I do not know enough about "car audio"/auto electronics to know what is a good/bad idea..... the truck came with the speakers at the footwell area & when redoing the dash I added speakers in the O.G dash corners. I guess I will just connect the dash speakers for now since they are new & I know are "good".
Old 01-15-2022, 01:40 PM   #9
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Richard, thank you for the reply....I thought those might be the ways.... I did not think about the load factor. The radio is an older "CD player" radio.... so I doubt it was meant to handle any type of an extra load, I don't think it even has amp outputs. I think for now I will just connect the dash speakers & wait to do multi speakers after I upgrade the system. thank you again for the responses. I hope that this might help people in the future as well .